DVDVR Message Board

[NXT SPOILERS] For March 23, 2016 (Taped 1/27)

RIPPA

"Best part of NXT"? Eh, I'm a huge Finn fan, but I'm not going to go that far over the top. He's been a huge slice of the pie that is NXT, but the subtle heel mode is almost too subtle, (let's face it, wrestling fans as a group are not generally known for their appreciation of nuanced shades of gray.) While VKM keeps banging on about it being "the  brand" rather than any one individual star when talking about WWE, the irony is that this is truly the case with NXT. In fact, due to the developmental nature of the company it has to be about the brand as opposed to any one major star. In just the last few months NXT fans have had to adjust to the departures of Neville, 3/4ths of the Horsewomen, Sami Zayn, Tyler Breeze, Kevin Owens, and it's pretty clear that Finn and Bayley won't be around for long. This is essentially the equivalent of pulling the Midnight Express, Ric Flair, Arn Anderson, Sting, Luger, and the Road Warriors out of WCW within a six-month period and remarkably enough, the talent is being utilized so well that what on the surface sounds like a recipe for disaster is actually a sustainable business model.

22 minutes ago, El Dragon said:

Thing is I haven't seen a Balor match this year I've actually liked. I really didn't get into Finn/Apollo like some did. It was certainly not even approaching the Joe/Zayn match, which was really really good.

In my opinion Neville/Finn was better than any of the Zayn/Joe matches and I'm one of the biggest Joe marks around here.  

You really didn't dig that one?

• Like 1

Nah man.  We're gonna just have to go our separate ways on that note.

The idea of Neville carrying anyone flat out makes me laugh.  He wrestles up and down to his competition on a pretty consistent basis. 

1 hour ago, Jrag said:

He is changing it up.  You are not paying attention if you think he is making the same mistakes he was making early in his title run.  His in ring work is finally matching his ace of NXT role. 

I'm not sure what you mean by making mistakes, but the person that said he was slow-burning this heel turn is right.  I mean, he started with the heel tendencies in the first match of the Dusty Classic.  (of course, he went back to pure babyface for the Takeover)  Maybe I shouldn't blame him since I don't think it's his fault he is so rarely on TV for a champ.

I want the Drifter to be the one baddie in pro wrestling that carries a guitar but never smashes it over someone's head. Some people like it whenever the plunder gets used, he teases but never uses the guitar, he'll get even more people pissed at him.

At least until they drop the gimmick and have the Sandow Brothers as the World's Smartest Tag Team, with a poem from Lanny Poffo as part of their entrance music.

1 hour ago, Trocar Slush Weasel said:

I'm not sure what you mean by making mistakes, but the person that said he was slow-burning this heel turn is right.  I mean, he started with the heel tendencies in the first match of the Dusty Classic.  (of course, he went back to pure babyface for the Takeover)  Maybe I shouldn't blame him since I don't think it's his fault he is so rarely on TV for a champ.

It is interesting that he isn't on tv as much as you would expect, but they did tape a shit ton of TV in a 1 month span and I know he was on crutches around that time frame too.

By mistakes I meant that he was giving too much offense to guys positioned below him mostly. Which isn't really his specific problem, but the main problem with top WWE guys in general.  That he is moving away from that mid title run is a breath of fresh air.

He did go back to pure baby face for the first Joe takeover match and that's one of the reasons I found that feud underwhelming.  I understand the reason for it, to establish Joe as the main heel, but it didn't do Finn any favors.

I think they do have a better match in them.  They are going to need it if they are going on last on THAT card.

3 hours ago, zev said:

I want the Drifter to be the one baddie in pro wrestling that carries a guitar but never smashes it over someone's head. Some people like it whenever the plunder gets used, he teases but never uses the guitar, he'll get even more people pissed at him.

At least until they drop the gimmick and have the Sandow Brothers as the World's Smartest Tag Team, with a poem from Lanny Poffo as part of their entrance music.

I doubt they're going to let him hit anyone in the head with a guitar, even a gimmicked one.