DVDVR Message Board

Fight Kits, USADA, & Courtroom Chaos (Pat Lundvall is a Spiteful Witch Edition)

Elsalvajeloco

42 minutes ago, JoshEngleman said:

Have any other test dates for Jones been made public? I would have assumed he had been tested a few times in June, which makes me wonder how a tainted supplement wouldn't register for other tests.

I don't think they make those dates public unless it's a potential violation.

37 minutes ago, AxB said:

Is Jones going to get stripped of his interim title now? Because he was scheduled for a title match, and he's missing it due to, what, medical suspension? That means he's not interim champion any more, doesn't it? Cormier's now undisputed.

Yeah, that's all but academic with the B sample coming back positive.

On 7/7/2016 at 3:53 PM, evilwaldo said:

From an article on Yahoo quoting the presser today.

“I never even thought I was in a gray area that I would need to write down what I was taking,” Jones said.

g1384903175107916181.jpg

I don't know how Jones and his camp can be so naive about supplements at this point.

Dana White on Colin Cowherd. Says he doesn't want to talk to Jones now.  Also takes Jones and his camp to task for not checking on his supplements with USADA.

• Like 1

I don't think his camp has much to do with it. Jackson-Winklejohn seem to have their heads screwed on when dealing with every fighter they've ever dealt with. Except Jon Jones.

1 minute ago, AxB said:

I don't think his camp has much to do with it. Jackson-Winklejohn seem to have their heads screwed on when dealing with every fighter they've ever dealt with. Except Jon Jones.

I'm not saying they have to babysit Jones, but...maybe they do?  But I mean again, how do we know that the camps aren't guilty of what fighters are also accused of?

If there was a gym with a doping problem, almost everyone who trained there would be getting busted all the time. But MMA guys go from gym to gym and have different locations for strength work or conditioning work than they do for actual MMA technique. That picture of Jones' supplements guy from a few pages back? If a guy built like that walked into a respectable MMA gym, most trainers would boot him out the second he approached one of the fighters and started asking what they took. But if an especially stupid MMA fighter walked into a weights gym where all those dodgy dealers hang around...

Jones does have a bit of an "If it seems to good to be true, it's probably just really really good" mentality to him. Does anyone know his personal email? I know this Nigerian doctor with a great investment opportunity he should hear about.

So then Jackson/Winkeljohn isn't a respectable gym?  

But if Malki Kawa feasibly went through this already with Yoel Romero last year, why is he not taking care of his top fighter Jon Jones?  If it truly is supplements

No, that's what I'm saying. He's not dealing to every Jackson-Wink fighter, because they don't let him in the room. Jones goes to him.

None of this smells right to me.

The supplement thing doesn't smell right to me because if it is supplement, this has been an ongoing argument for 10 years of "I took a tainted supplement!"  If it was that dangerous to take supplements and I'm a pro athlete, I either A) wouldn't take it, or B) I'd have a chemist testing it 24/7.  Or before I even considered taking it, I'd now send it to USADA and ask what they thought.  

There's no excuse anymore for this. It's like Jones driving without a valid driving license.  It's like, when do you getting get into your car without a driver's license?  Or how he kept doing dumb crap after the Bentley crash.

I refuse to believe all these guys and coaches at the gyms are choir boys and not enabling their guys to take the gas.

10 minutes ago, We Dem Boyz said:

Meltzer made an interesting point about Hendricks. He ducked the drug testing GSP wanted and then almost beat him. Now after USADA he has looked terrible in his fights. There's a lot of smoke there. 

He looked a bit soft. If he has to fight at 185, what the hell is he going to look like?

He didn't look great before USADA after losing the title to Robbie. It sucks to say it, but I think his window closed. He's so flat footed and in the past he would hold his hands low and just eat shots. That looks to have caught up with him. Johny also has a good ground game, but he's nearly abandoned it after his wars with Robbie. You take that, along with putting more emphasis on striking instead of wrestling, and the division is just passing him by. It doesn't help that his weight cutting issues persist.

12 minutes ago, Craig H said:

He didn't look great before USADA after losing the title to Robbie. It sucks to say it, but I think his window closed. He's so flat footed and in the past he would hold his hands low and just eat shots. That looks to have caught up with him. Johny also has a good ground game, but he's nearly abandoned it after his wars with Robbie. You take that, along with putting more emphasis on striking instead of wrestling, and the division is just passing him by. It doesn't help that his weight cutting issues persist.

Looking at the pre-Reebok kit era, his body definitely had some tone. Obviously, it's nothing like the promo pics from when they do the pre-fight stuff in the hotel lobby with the water spray bottle.

On Saturday, you would think they called him at the last minute for the bout while he was on vacation just like they did Anderson.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Looking at the pre-Reebok kit era, his body definitely had some tone. Obviously, it's nothing like the promo pics from when they do the pre-fight stuff in the hotel lobby with the water spray bottle.

On Saturday, you would think they called him at the last minute for the bout while he was on vacation just like they did Anderson.

He looked pretty cut against Thompson 

1454780988685.jpg?ve=1&tl=1

I don't think it's PEDs.  Think about it.  32 years old.  Plus decades in wrestling and not just MMA.  He's at a time where a lot of athletes reach their athletic peak and start declining.  He clearly can't handle the weight cut anymore either.  No matter who you are, that's a lot of weight to cut, and those weight cuts become harder as these guys get older.

I just don't think his heart is in it as much as it was for the Wonderboy fight. Just speculating, but I think he made all the steps he needed to take for that fight. Improved his diet, he made weight, was in great shape, and it sounded like he had a great camp. And then Wonderboy beat the brakes off of him. He did everything right and it was his worst showing ever in the ring. Maybe his head just isn't in it anymore.

And as I typed that, I decided to search to see if anyone reached out to Hendricks after losing at 200. Sure enough, he's questioning himself.

Just now, TheVileOne said:

He looked pretty cut against Thompson 

1454780988685.jpg?ve=1&tl=1

I don't think it's PEDs.  Think about it.  32 years old.  Plus decades in wrestling and not just MMA.  He's at a time where a lot of athletes reach their athletic peak and start declining.  He clearly can't handle the weight cut anymore either.  No matter who you are, that's a lot of weight to cut, and those weight cuts become harder as these guys get older.

That's a picture from the Matt Brown weigh-in though.

video-johny-hendricks-talks-succ-660x400

This is from the Thompson weigh-in.

But yeah, based on his comments after this fight, it sounds like he may be edging closer to walking away.

I mean really, I want to see him get back to a championship level, but I don't know if it's possible. He's going to need an AJ like transformation and he's not nearly the natural athlete that AJ is.

If he wants to fight again, shit, fight at 185. Eat all the venison you want, have a good camp, make weight, and see what you can do. One of my friends also pointed out that he may be in a Rich Franklin esque position where he's too big for 170 and too small for 185 and there's no in between unfortunately.

Robert Whittaker is doing quite well moving up to 185.  Just saying.  It's not necessarily terrible being a smaller middleweight.  You aren't killing yourself to make weight anymore.  It could improve your performance.  Whittaker is ranked No. 6 right now.  He was probably an average sized welterweight.  

Just saying, where is Hendricks' advantage at welterweight now?  He's not knocking guys out anymore?

Presumably it was being the stronger fighter and out-wrestling his opponent, but he would need to start wrestling again. I mean, look at the guy who, I thought, dominated GSP at the area GSP is the best at, and look at him now. I don't want to keep making comparisons, but look at Sherk. He was the best wrestler at 155, had 1 or 2 good bouts using his boxing, and then it looked like he just gave up on that part of his game. Johnny hits way harder than Sherk could ever hope to hit, but it's another wrestler thinking they're suddenly a world class boxer or kickboxer.

12 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

Robert Whittaker is doing quite well moving up to 185.  Just saying.  It's not necessarily terrible being a smaller middleweight.  You aren't killing yourself to make weight anymore.  It could improve your performance.  Whittaker is ranked No. 6 right now.  He was probably an average sized welterweight.  

Just saying, where is Hendricks' advantage at welterweight now?  He's not knocking guys out anymore?

As I said in the UFC 200 thread, Whittaker also has had good matchups. If Whittaker fought Mousasi for example like he did Sapo, he would get uttlerly melted. Now a lot of the dudes below that? Sure, Whittaker should have plenty of success. 

Whittaker is also 6'0" and his body looks like it can handle the additional weight and mass. Hendricks is 5'9" (probably closer to 5'7" or 5'8") and his body looks kinda uninspired at 170.

Unless you're Hector Lombard, you're not going to find too many quality middleweights below 5'10". The days of like Terry Martin and Frank Trigg fighting at middleweight are over.