DVDVR Message Board

FALLOUT 4

RIPPA

Man sues Bethesda over Fallout 4 addiction

http://www.engadget.com/2015/12/21/lawsuit-over-fallout-4-addiction/

There's little doubt that Fallout 4's gameplay is involving when you can spend dozens of hours on the main storyline alone. However, one Russian man is convinced that it's too involving. RT says that he's suing Bethesda for 500,000 rubles ($7,030) for failing to warn that Fallout 4 would "become so addictive." Supposedly, the man went on a 3-week gaming marathon that cost him his health, job and wife. Had he known how alluring it was, he says, he would have either waited until the holidays to buy the game or avoided it entirely. We've reached out to Bethesda to both confirm the lawsuit and get its take on the claims.

There is a history of these cases, and they can even be successful: one American got compensation from NCSoft after he got hooked on Lineage II. There's also evidence to suggest that certain kinds of gameplay can promote addictive behavior. With that said, there are many Fallout 4 players who've played extensively without ruining their personal and professional lives. This man will have to convince the court that he was genuinely addicted, not just lacking in self-discipline.

So I'm on level 26, have two mini-nukes, 8 missiles, and the exterminator's missile launcher. Am I ready to retake the Castle or should I wait a bit and do something like finally picking up Valentine in the main story? Right now I'm doing recon quests for the BOS.

That fucking Glowing Deathclaw I found can eat a dick

Though it only took me three tries since I cheesed the fuck out of it

Ran into my first one of those tonight.  Fortunately it got hung up on a hillside, so managed to take it out before it ever got to me.

So I'm on level 26, have two mini-nukes, 8 missiles, and the exterminator's missile launcher. Am I ready to retake the Castle or should I wait a bit and do something like finally picking up Valentine in the main story? Right now I'm doing recon quests for the BOS.

You ought to be ok.  I managed to take out a couple of those things at lower levels, and I'm not much good at combat.

Yeah - I didn't realize that one lead to a possible companion. I found that out yesterday so I will have to do that soon.

I just got both Cait and Nick's personal quests.

I think I might need to turn off the settle recruitment signals at a couple of places. Showed up at two different places and there were like 10 people waiting to be assigned. Whoops.

So how many times have people had the settlements attacked so far? I've had two. The first from the Gunners which was my first introduction to them and the second from a group of raiders including two in power armor.

I have only gotten the pop-up notification once.

One time they attacked the Drive-In while I was standing there. So I killed one guy and suddenly it was all SETTLEMENT DEFENDED!!! TALK TO PRESTON!!!. So I don't know if that actually counts.

The only other thing that I get is every time I fast travel to the Drive-In - it is 50/50 that a Super Mutant wanders too close but that isnt really a settlement attack.

So how many times have people had the settlements attacked so far? I've had two. The first from the Gunners which was my first introduction to them and the second from a group of raiders including two in power armor.

Starlight and Outpost Z always get attacked for me despite having very high defenses. It's never more than a couple of super mutants or raiders but occasionally there will be a party of ghouls. Oddly enough, Boston Blaster, one of the robots from Easy City Downs, wandered over to the Nordhagen Beach settlement and got hostile so my guards took it out.

I had another attack today at Graygarden this time. It was low level raiders (2 legendaries) though so they were basically wiped out. I've heard something about the Drive-in having a close spawn point. I've had attacks there, but no official quest attacks and everything usually dies pretty fast. The settlers and defenses get to enemies faster than me half the time. Outpost Z was the settlement where I ran into to PA wearing raiders.

Did finally retake the Castle. Even with two bottlecap mines it still took 3-4 nukes to end it. That enemy is just evil, and I fear seeing another one again anytime soon. I almost died even in power armor. Been setting up Castle as a proper settlement the last hour or so. Not sure why, but I really like how its all set up. Feels perfect for a hub/base.

Think i will finally continue on a bit and pick up Valentine next.

Anyone found the Fens Street Sewer yet? There's a fun little series of holotapes down there with a serial killer taunting a detective he's lured there. It's also a great place to stock up on skeletal parts that you can scrap.

Is there a simple way to determine which settlers have been assigned jobs and beds? I've been assigning them and then equipping them with striped suits or sequined dresses, but there has to be an easier way.

I just discovered a day or two ago - that if you select a settler, it will highlight in green what they are assigned to (at least crops and beds)

I think - THINK - it will also highlight guard posts but those folks are easier anyone since they are always wandering around with guns.

And yeah - definitely had to start turning off recruitment signals.

One of the settlements I went to had 17 folks - and I only had 9 beds.

If there is a way to have a settler go from one settlement to another and stay there - I haven't found it yet

If there is a way to have a settler go from one settlement to another and stay there - I haven't found it yet

There is. Highlight them and you should see an option for move. I don't think you can move the founding settlers but anyone who comes in after is fair game.

Is there a simple way to determine which settlers have been assigned jobs and beds? I've been assigning them and then equipping them with striped suits or sequined dresses, but there has to be an easier way.

I just discovered a day or two ago - that if you select a settler, it will highlight in green what they are assigned to (at least crops and beds)

I think - THINK - it will also highlight guard posts but those folks are easier anyone since they are always wandering around with guns.

It does highlight guard posts for people assigned to defense, scavenging stations for people assigned to scavenge and stores for people you assign to vendors. Also, a good way to tell if someone isn't assigned is if you have a bar or some kind of store, anyone who is unassigned will likely be hanging out around there. Another tip is to look at the food or defense stat when you assign someone to a task that's not one of those. If either of those quickly drops by a few points, the person was assigned food or defense so you should quickly assign them back if your intention wasn't to lower one of those stats.

It is kind of a pain in the ass though if you're building stuff and everyone is asleep for the night or at the bar.  They should fix the interface so if you highlight a settler, a caption comes up telling you where exactly they're assigned.

Creating supply lines to other settlements is how you have them leave. Honestly though from what I understand the number of people helps determine how much money you can pick up in the workshop from stores you set up so unless its one of the smaller settlements I suggest just making some beds or sleeping bags.