DVDVR Message Board

UFC 193: Rousey vs. Holm (11/14/2015) - Melbourne, Victoria, Australia (Etihad Stadium)

Elsalvajeloco

UFC_193_Rousey_vs._Holm_Poster.jpg?14431

UFC 193: Rousey vs. Holm
November 14, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia (Etihad Stadium)

UFC Women's Bantamweight Championship: Ronda Rousey © (134) vs. Holly Holm (134) (seventh defense) - Holm, KO (head kick and punches), R2 (0:59)
UFC Women's Strawweight Championship: Joanna Jędrzejczyk © (114) vs. Valérie Letourneau (115) (second defense) - Jędrzejczyk, DEC (unanimous)

Mark Hunt (265) vs. Antônio Silva (263) - Hunt, TKO (punches), R1 (3:41)

Robert Whittaker (185) vs. Uriah Hall (185) - Whittaker, DEC (unanimous)

Stefan Struve (265) vs. Jared Rosholt (239) - Rosholt, DEC (unanimous)

Fox Sports 1 Preliminary Card:

Jake Matthews (155) vs. Akbarh Arreola (155) - Matthews, TKO (doctor stoppage), R2 (5:00)

Kyle Noke (169) vs. Peter Sobotta (169) - Noke, TKO (front kick and punches), R1 (2:01)

Anthony Perosh (205) vs. Gian Villante (205) - Villante, KO (punch), R1 (2:56)

Richie Vaculik (125) vs. Danny Martinez (125) - Martinez, DEC (unanimous)

Fight Pass Preliminary Card:

Daniel Kelly (185) vs. Steve Montgomery (185) - Kelly, DEC (unanimous)

Richard Walsh (170) vs. Steve Kennedy (169) - Walsh, DEC (unanimous)

Anton Zafir (170) vs. James Moontasri (170) - Moontasri, TKO (spinning back kick and backfist), R1 (4:36)

Ben Nguyen (126) vs. Ryan Benoit (125) - Nguyen, SUB (rear naked choke), R1 (2:35)

Event Bonuses ($50,000):

Performance of the Night: Kyle Noke

Performance of the Night: Holly Holm

Fight of the Night: Ronda Rousey vs. Holly Holm

Attendance: 56,214

Gate: $6.664 million

Buyrate: 1.1 million

Cancelled Bouts:

Robbie Lawler vs. Carlos Condit - Injury to Lawler (Thumb)

Michael Bisping vs. Robert Whittaker - Injury to Bisping (Elbow)

Daniel Kelly vs. Ricardo Abreu - Injury to Abreu (Rib)

Brendan O'Reilly vs. William Macário - Injury to Macário

Brendan O'Reilly vs. James Moontasri - injury to O'Reilly (Broken Orbital Bone)

Really wanted to go to this but tix are just waaaaay beyond what I was expecting to spend.

Rousey, Hall and the Hunt v Silva rematch make it an exciting card for me personally and its a massive event here in Melbourne. It wasn't that long ago that the cage/octagon was illegal and local MMA comps were put on in kickboxing/boxing venues.

Fingers crossed this is a great show and the state government let things go long term.

Holly Holm has shown pretty strong grappling and takedown defense in the past, but none of those opponents were Ronda Rousey.  Will be curious to see how big the attendance will be for this show.  Even if it doesn't become a legit sellout, I'm sure they will pad the numbers so it's officially UFC's biggest attendance ever.  

Honestly, most excited about the Joanna Champion fight.  

• Like 1

Holly Holm has shown pretty strong grappling and takedown defense in the past, but none of those opponents were Ronda Rousey.  Will be curious to see how big the attendance will be for this show.  Even if it doesn't become a legit sellout, I'm sure they will pad the numbers so it's officially UFC's biggest attendance ever.  

Honestly, most excited about the Joanna Champion fight.  

Paul Sergeant, the CEO of the stadium, said they were on track to the beat the UFC 129 number. Last I heard, it was in the 46k-48k range. That was maybe six or seven days ago. If they do decide to paper it, it won't be that much to break it.

• Like 1

Holm still seems tentative in the octagon. She doesn't often commit to her strikes and there's a notable lack of power in her hands and feet because of that. As you've talked about before when discussing Cyborg, so much of winning a fight is imposing oneself through aggression, at least when fighting the level of fighters Rousey, Holm, and Justino do. Ronda doesn't have any fear, Holly looks like she's scared when fighting fringe ranked fighters that don't have a tonne of skill. Despite this being a total mismatch, I hope the show draws well and Ronda's mythology keeps growing, as it's great for the sport and women generally speaking.

Maybe but I think the fact she'll be fighting in front of the UFC's biggest crowd to date and on a PPV hundreds of thousands will be watching won't make her any less tense. And the fear of having her arm snapped probably would be unnerving to say the least.

Even the boxing highlights in that hype video weren't very impressive. She'd throw flashy barrages without a whole lot behind them. Maybe she's just a point fighter. Her record of 9 KOs in 33 wins certainly reinforces that.

Looking forward to the top three fights on the main card. Ronda Rousey fights are an event.

No love for Whittaker vs. Hall? Uriah Hall just spin kicked a perennial top ten middleweight and then hit him with a flying knee. Whittaker has looked more impressive moving up in weight than many fighters moving down in weight.

Basically, whoever wins this fight is going to enter the fray with all the other established middleweights. That's definitely not where most people thought either fighter would be this time last year.

• Like 1

Looking forward to the top three fights on the main card. Ronda Rousey fights are an event.

No love for Whittaker vs. Hall? Uriah Hall just spin kicked a perennial top ten middleweight and then hit him with a flying knee. Whittaker has looked more impressive moving up in weight than many fighters moving down in weight.

Basically, whoever wins this fight is going to enter the fray with all the other established middleweights. That's definitely not where most people thought either fighter would be this time last year.

I need to learn how to count. I'd have included it in original post for the reasons you gave. Thanks for that (out of likes).

It's crazy how improved Joanna is compared to when she fought Ju Thai on last year's July Fox card. I know some of this is probably style matchup and Penne having to switch camps midway through training. However, Joanna just absolutely torched her.

Does anyone actually believe that Holm has a chance in hell?

Like I would love to be proven wrong because Rousey needs some competition until Justiano finds a substitute for anabolic steroids to cut weight, but fuck, like nothing in her game says she defeat Rousey or even make it to the second round.

Does anyone actually believe that Holm has a chance in hell?

Unless Ronda pulls what Hendo did on Saturday and walks into a powerful high kick, I don't see how this turns out well for Holly Holm. Even in boxing, she was a volume puncher. In MMA, that is kind of negated by the fact she is going to be under constant threat of being thrown. She has been in tough fights in boxing, especially that fight with Anne Sophie Mathis where she got KO'd. However, she ain't been under that threat in MMA.

That's why I don't get why people say Ronda shouldn't box with her. So Ronda isn't the best boxer. Holly Holm's whole entire gameplan is changed by the fight that she might be tossed in the air at any given moment. Even she was a power puncher (and she isn't and never has been), she cannot sit down on her punches. I don't Winklejohn would advise her to do that. I think Holm's only shot outside of a lucky high kick is basically using a front kick or push kick to keep Rousey off her and virtually running away the entire fight. Holm's ground game isn't bad, but she hasn't had to use it much. So anything beyond those two outcomes is asking Holly Holm to use dimensions of her game she hasn't ever used before. In addition, it's asking her to have weapons that will intimidate Ronda Rousey. Cris Cyborg has that in spades, and that is what makes that particular opponent an intriguing fight. It's just asking a ton of out Holly Holm though.

Like I would love to be proven wrong because Rousey needs some competition until Justiano finds a substitute for anabolic steroids to cut weight, but fuck, like nothing in her game says she defeat Rousey or even make it to the second round.

Cyborg looks like she could safely make 135 now as opposed to maybe 2 or 3 months ago. She looks smaller than Cat Zingano now.

I have foolishly let myself believe that Holly gets out of the first round because she's just going to run away from Ronda the entire round. I mean Khalib Starnes level running around. I mean, that's got to be the only strategy that could possibly work, right? Have Ronda chase her for two rounds and then work the high kicks after Ronda "tires." Sounds like a doomed game plan but at least it's a game plan. And I imagine they'll be in the bigger cage which allows for more running away.

I mean, Ronda is still going to catch her and break her, but I feel like Holly's going to be able to run away for a while.