DVDVR Message Board

Comic book projects that don't warrant a thread yet

Cliff Hanger

• 4 weeks later...

https://www.instagram.com/p/C35QPdFO3-Q/?utm_source=ig_embed&ig_rid=9d39b8b4-67de-4cb3-9f76-1a34fc90bf03&ig_mid=631AEB01-F8C6-469B-B787-C09FEEEE44DA

https://comicbook.com/movies/news/the-crow-reboot-finally-reveals-first-look-at-bill-skaarsgard-in-iconic-role/

First look at The Crow (2024) reboot. I have very low expectations. I'm hoping by it's release, The Crow (1994) will be shown in cinemas for the 30th Anniversary this year. It's one of those films I was too young for when it first came out but would love to experience there.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

What have they done to my boy? I love the original Crow movie. I even liked the tv series and some of the sequels.

But they Leto Joker'd this new crow. He has all these dumb tattoos including one on his chest where his nipple is the eye of some face. Why?

• Like 4

11 hours ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

What have they done to my boy? I love the original Crow movie. I even liked the tv series and some of the sequels.

But they Leto Joker'd this new crow. He has all these dumb tattoos including one on his chest where his nipple is the eye of some face. Why?

This.

I’m surprised he doesn’t have damaged on his forehead.

It's a lot more comic accurate, for whatever that's worth.

I mean, the original is iconic, but to act like remaking 30 years later would eradicate it's legacy is kind of... have you not seen the sequels? If they didn't trash the legacy, nothing will.

I'll still watch it and I hope for the best. I understand a remake can't be a shot for shot recreation. There has to be something new to say about the story or material. Just very much looks like taking an iconic look and giving it a zoomer gangster vibe. Exactly like Leto Joker.

Can Hollywood please get a tattoo consultant for movies? You know, somebody who can step in and say "WOAH WOAH WOAH we're not going for SoundCloud rapper, this guy's a gloomy rocker type, so let's think more NIN lyrics and some Poe imagery, and it's gotta look like an actual professional did the work." 

I'll gladly take the job and a million bucks plz. 

Edit: just noticed the eyebrow tattoo. Fuckin brutal. 

Edited by Coletti
  • Like 1

Let's be realistic about this. He is supposed to be a 2020s rock star, right? He would probably have ink like that. 

Shit, there aren't even rock stars anymore are there? Soundcloud rapper and EDM DJ is probably the closest it gets after all. 

The names I see the most as far as rock/metal bands that seem to be somewhat mainstream popular are Ghost and Sleep Token, both of which do goth-y imagery. Shit, you've got a whole generation of kids who worshipped at the altar of My Chemical Romance. 

Plus look at Wednesday, they stuck with that goth aesthetic and still had a mega hit. No need to have updated The Addams to be more in line with what's hip and popular. People like dark and spooky and that's like 3/4 of what did the heavy lifting for The Crow. 

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZ5-MVEYZvc

THE CROW (Red Band)

Starring Danny Huston, CGI Blood, Ozzy Osbourne and Necro Butcher's Pot Leaf Tattoo

Neat, I'm in first!!! *does a dance* Anyway, here you go, you don't have to watch the movie now. Unless you're Contentious C who has to see if it's as bad as Wicked Prayer.

EDIT: Side note, where's the 'bouncing ghost' emoji when you need it? You know, the little white head with the circle arms that bounces from side to side. It looks like Kirby.

Edited by Curt McGirt

2 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZ5-MVEYZvc

THE CROW (Red Band)

Starring Danny Huston, CGI Blood, Ozzy Osbourne and Necro Butcher's Pot Leaf Tattoo

Neat, I'm in first!!! *does a dance* Anyway, here you go, you don't have to watch the movie now. Unless you're Contentious C who has to see if it's as bad as Wicked Prayer.

EDIT: Side note, where's the 'bouncing ghost' emoji when you need it? You know, the little white head with the circle arms that bounces from side to side. It looks like Kirby.

I'm hoping The Crow (1994) gets 're-released as a result. The Crow and Die Hard were my first 18 rated films. Fun fact for you, Die Hard is now a 15. Be funny if everybody myself included rank The Crow (2024) low on the 2024 Summer Blockbuster Movies Pool and it surpasses low expectations turning into a ballot buster.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, The Natural said:

I'm hoping The Crow (1994) gets 're-released as a result. The Crow and Die Hard were my first 18 rated films. Fun fact for you, Die Hard is now a 15. Be funny if everybody myself included rank The Crow (2024) low on the 2024 Summer Blockbuster Movies Pool and it surpasses low expectations turning into a ballot buster.

Just watched the trailer. I'll probably still watch this as I've seen all four Crow films before this one but it's doing fuck all for me. Contradiction I know.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

Honestly that doesn't look terrible but it could totally be it's own thing - making it a remake (or whatever) of Eric & Shelly's story is the baffling part. 

1 hour ago, Coletti said:

Honestly that doesn't look terribe

lol, that’s one opinion.  Been quite a while since I’ve had this much of an urge to stay away from a movie.  I’m not at all a horror fan, so to me, it just looks like ultraviolence for the sake of ultraviolence.  And making the good guys look as much like sleazy tattooed weirdos as possible isn’t going to win me over either.

I barely remember the original movie, so it was probably gratuitously violent too. But it had at least some sense of style, and Brandon Lee had star power.  Also, the character design was fairly memorable, maybe even iconic.  Ditching the white mime/kabuki face paint is the most head-scratching creative decision for me.

anyway, kinda curious to see reviews, but probably won’t see the movie.  Particularly if it’s a violent as the trailer makes the film out to be. I am mildly interested in seeing the original film again though, even though it’s probably too violent for my middle-aged self.

• Haha 1

The previous movie is very violent and the comics were almost over the top. It's a story of two people brutally murdered by sleazebags, with one victim coming back as an avenging spirit who leaves blown-off heads galore in his wake. 

Edited by Coletti