DVDVR Message Board

Grand Theft Auto V Talk.

Finally, some guy in a jet takes me up on it. Something I did not know until tonight: If you get into a 1-on-1 deathmatch with a jet, after your first death, the game respawns you in a tank until the deathmatch is over. And you cannot get out of the tank.

Learn something new every day.  Don't you get out on work release about now?

Anyway, with apologies to Jello Biafra (actually fuck him, it's his damn fault this song has been stuck in my head all morning, no matter how much bluegrass I listen to to try to flush it out):

gonna

kill kill kill kill kill some dots

kill kill kill kill kill some dots

kill kill kill kill kill some dots tonight.

I get out of juvie at about 2:15 a.m. or so.

The four-day sentence wasn't so bad, because I didn't play for four days. I haven't played a whole lot, but I've still wanted to play some, so this one was kinda rough. I should've tried to solo missions, but I find those kinda boring and I've done them all a million times.

I hate to say it, but I've gotta change my gameplay style to cut down on blowing up the PVs. The next trip into juvie is 16 days. Sadly, I think I have to chill out on the post-other-guy's-death proximity mines. That's what got me thrown in juvy this time.

Hypothetically, if you're someone who drives around the city looking for a fire fight, and you find one with someone who's getting you twice for every time you get him, and there's nobody else within three miles of the two of you, and every time you do get a kill he invites you to a one on one deathmatch... wouldn't you just accept it at some point? I mean, you're pretty much already having a one on one deathmatch with him, there's nobody around, why not?

Bloody daily objectives.

• Like 1

As soon as you can afford it, get the special carbine SMG. There's no level requirement on it and it will make a lot of Gerald & Lamar's missions a LOT easier.

Run deathmatches to build up your shooting skill.   Yes, you're going to die, a lot.  Don't get discouraged, you haven't been playing for nearly 2 years like the rest of us.

Oh, and launch a race called "Taking Off".   It's a figure 8 on the runways of the airport.   Run it solo and set it to about 40 laps.    It's monotonous, but you should max out your driving skill and make a very nice lump of change for about 45-50 minutes work. 

Maxing out driving makes a lot of stuff a lot easier. 

• Like 2

I would say the best way to build up your shooting was doing Survivals*, actually. Obviously you can't host them until you're level 15, but they payout better than Deathmatches ($30,000 is a lot of money to a low leveller), and they ensure that when you return to Freemode you'll have picked up some decent Heavy Weapons.

The best car you can just find in the city, put a tracker in and own is the Shyster Fusillade. It doesn't corner fast, but it has decent speed and acceleration, and alright handling at low speed. You can find things like Adders and Infernus', but you have to buy them to own them. The best car that you can steal to sell to LS Customs is the Gallivanter Baller, which is a Range Rover/ Land Rover and goes for $9000 undamaged. The Lampadati Felon goes for more, but they're pretty rare (and worth keeping for Coupe races).

Go into a Private Session and run around the city to build up your Stamina. Then maybe sneak around in Stealth mode to build up your stealth, which can be useful in Deathmatches. Strength is unnecessary, as is Lung Capacity by and large. Flight skill is optional... but Driving Skill, Stamina and Shooting are essential.

* Boneyard and Processed are the easiest. Industrial Plant and Sawmill Plant are the hardest. But when you're starting, you're looking for someone to carry the team so you can learn where the safe spots are.

FInd other newbies. Concentrate on missions/survivals until you make some cash and rank up. Don't spend money on useless crap like clothes just yet. Keep saving for an apartment with a 10-car garage (Del Perro, $205,000 or so) so you can do heists eventually. Do buy the nicest weaponry available to you.

Don't be afraid to spend a lot of time in Invite Only rooms, and remember to sell cars every 45 minutes of real time. Look up online lists of what they're worth to keep from grabbing crap. As AxB said, the Ballers are always real good to sell.

The Felon, in either convertible or four-door, is a great car for driving around in. As is the Oracle and the Sentinel. The Fusilade is a great starter sports car (the car I started online with).

If you want to race, try hosting races and turning custom cars off. If you race in custom car races, you have no chance whatsoever of winning, because a lot of people will have a better car than yours. If you do deathmatches, look for ones where the weapons are "Forced" or "Forced Plus Pickups." If it's "Owned," then people have the weapons they own, and higher-level players will have a hyooge advantage on you.

Work as many angles as humanly possible for money. At your point in the game, cash is king. You need lots of it, ASAP.

Shut up, Robert, you're gobbage.

Goddamn, it's good to be back with the family.

Give you guys one guess as to the first thing that happened when I got out of juvie ....

Blew up a personal vehicle with two dudes in it.

Tremendously fun night, even when that dude was whipping my ass. Of course, it'll be my last after I get banned from offline.

• Like 1

Any tips as I'm starting Online out? Things I should make sure to do, etc?

Join the crew via the Rockstar Social Club site. You get a free assault rifle and sports car which will be very handy in the beginning. Stick with private/crew only rooms and grind the low level missions/races (you can do races solo if need be) to get 25K to buy a garage. Don't bother with Simeon missions, too much work for too little money. Remember to rob stores snd sell cars to Simeon and Los Santos Customs to make money.

Thanks to everyone for all the help. I noticed the Simeon missions have a disturbing tendency to start on the complete other side of the map, which is really fucking annoying.

I did splurge a bit on clothing to start to get the look I wanted for my character, Anton (the leather jacket wasn't cheap) but now I'm saving up for that big house.  Did get a garage and a nice Trans-Am looking vehicle for my Personal Vehicle, which fits Anton perfectly.

Fun thing I noticed: Using the Smoke action actually takes away health.

Shut up, Robert, you're gobbage.

Goddamn, it's good to be back with the family.

Give you guys one guess as to the first thing that happened when I got out of juvie ....

Blew up a personal vehicle with two dudes in it.

Tremendously fun night, even when that dude was whipping my ass. Of course, it'll be my last after I get banned from offline.

I really hope that guy can't get us banned from offline.  He's with somebody, after all.

Had a hell of a lot of fun, though I could've done without that one guy at the end.  Amazingly, I think I only blew up two vehicles.  One was that steve guy's Insurgent.  No clue what the other was.  I think my favorite was the 18 wheeler kill.

I got to Allah Akbar someone with their own personal vehicle, so I was proud of that.

God, that was hilarious. We wind up scrapping with these two over by the cemetery in Del Perro. We're in game chat, where one of them is telling us "climb off my shit." I thought it was the dude, but it may have been the chick, Princess something or other.

Anyhoo, this guy named Chris something joins in, and he's dressed like a cop, which was a little confusing, but nothing too bad. I have a slight advantage over him and Robert is putting the boots to him when he chimes in on the mic, calling us "gobbage" like someone from the "Fargo" movie. Every time we killed him, he'd infer that we enjoy the company of other men and call us "gobbage" again.

One of his points was that we were picking on someone 2-on-1 (not true, it was 2-2, so he joined in to make it 3-2). He also got mad when I shot him after an NPC knocked him down, which was hilarious. Does anyone not understand what this game is about? "Oh, I see you have fallen, good fellow, let me let you get back to your feet so you can shoot me."

Then here came the hammer. Some dude who had his shit down showed up and proceeded to wipe the floor with me. Plus Chris was finding his feet on me, 'cause I was so nervous about the good guy shooting me. The guy shows up on the mic and starts yammering at us about picking on girls and calling us "kid," much to both of our old man amusement.

He went into passive once and sent me a message saying I was playing dishonorably for taking cover behind a wall. This was despite the fact that he blasted me with RPGs about 400 times while I was trying to take cover behind a wall. He then started going into passive, getting in better position, coming out, and RPGing me. Yep, this dude was giving me tips about playing with honor when he kept going into passive for his advantage. He was a stain.

Overall, great night, good to get away from people who know what to do with jets (one buzzed us for about 10 minutes, not even getting close to killing us), good to get back among people who struggle with the basic concepts, like the dude who ran toward me as I barreled toward him in a car.

• Like 2

Any tips as I'm starting Online out? Things I should make sure to do, etc?

Join the crew via the Rockstar Social Club site. You get a free assault rifle and sports car which will be very handy in the beginning. Stick with private/crew only rooms and grind the low level missions/races (you can do races solo if need be) to get 25K to buy a garage. Don't bother with Simeon missions, too much work for too little money. Remember to rob stores snd sell cars to Simeon and Los Santos Customs to make money.

Yeah, the free Sports car (the Elegy) is one of the better sports cars in the game, period.

The money on missions has gotten a bit better - I'd do any of them I could. Plus if the mission is a long way away, you're working on your driving stat as you drive there. Any mission is going to pay more than you'll get robbing stores.

What I meant about clothes is don't get too crazy buying crap that doesn't fit into your grand scheme of things until the money gets better. Think of weapons as tools to help you make more money. First you get the sugar, then you get the power, then you get the women.

I skipped a smaller garage and went straight to the 10-car-garage apartment because they told us HEISTS ARE COMING, DAMMIT. You could always get a small garage, could come in handy if in a nice spot. There's a 2-car garage on Popular Street for $25,000 that's near the east-side Los Santos customs (handy for selling cars). I wouldn't go bigger than that, though, because it's basically throwing money away that you could be using on a heist apartment (the introductory heist is really easy and pays really well, considering). Having a garage allows you to get your cars fixed for cheap ($50 a day).

Thanks to everyone for all the help. I noticed the Simeon missions have a disturbing tendency to start on the complete other side of the map, which is really fucking annoying.

I did splurge a bit on clothing to start to get the look I wanted for my character, Anton (the leather jacket wasn't cheap) but now I'm saving up for that big house.  Did get a garage and a nice Trans-Am looking vehicle for my Personal Vehicle, which fits Anton perfectly.

Fun thing I noticed: Using the Smoke action actually takes away health.

On the other hand, if you eat a snack (buy them at stores) you will get back a little health.  It's handy in missions when you are only able to regenerate to 50% health.  Also if you drink beers your character will get drunk.

If you like your vehicle, make sure you get insurance on it from Los Santos Customs.  That way if it blows up, you can call and get it replaced for cheap.  I had to go and re-mod a Balla for $150K (a lot of money for my character) because I didn't insure mine and I used it to allah akbar some Merryweather guys in a mission.

I must be stupid.  Is there a way to show the available properties on the pause map, or do I just have to run around finding them?

Best way to see where they are is the real estate website on your phone.

Jeezis, the final part of that last heist is a bastard.

It's amazing how shitty it is considering how much fun the first half is.

I don't know what the best option is, honestly. The cops Hulk the fuck out and ram you off your bike, so you get in a car to fix that problem and they shoot the tires out.

The worst for me was when the rest of you were either on or near the boat with about a minute and a half left, and I'm sliding off the road and down the mountain with 3 shot out tires.

• Like 1

This method looks solid:

https://youtu.be/vwzDUZEr06M

You can get your personal vehicle if you go back to your garage and get it. Some people have actually bought an apartment near the motorcycle storage point to make this mission easier. Also, apparently the timer doesn't start until people get on the motorcycles, so you can actually go find a car on foot without the timer starting.

People also say that if the SWAT team's been called in, there should one of those gigantic armored police vehicles somewhere to the left of the ramp right at the start of the getaway. Probably pretty slow, but you're not very likely to get damaged.

• Like 1