DVDVR Message Board

Grand Theft Auto V Talk.

I prob need to replay story mode to remedy the order i did stuff in and maximize my money, like doing the assassinations too soon and not doing the stoxk market stuff.

But i doubt i will go trhough it again. I have a hard time even being motivated to do the online stuff.

Most of my Gold medals are in Stranger & Freak missions because the criteria is more generous.  You only need IIRC, 75 total gold medals between story missions and side missions to unlock the achievement, so I just plan to hold my S&E gold medal streak together and get gold medals in story mode missions whenever I can.

I'm currently trying to figure out the workaround for the Private Fare glitch.  I ride around as Franklin for hours and still no call.  Killing myself on purpose doesn't work and buying another property doesn't work.

I needed about one mission to realize I should just forget about trying to get golds.  At least it hasn't got to the point like LA Noir, where I intentionally tried to get my scores as low as possible.  I will say that combat is insanely easy now that I've played about 709870234 hours of online.

Since online didn't really work yesterday, and I finally finished the main storyline last week, I decided to try to get the big money boosts from the stock market.  Did the S&F mission with the guy that gives you the stock tip, but the stock market seemed to not be doing anything.  I was about catatonic after too much freemode the day before, plus some exhausting, but good, real life stuff, so I just gave up and called it a night.  Guess my offline guys are doomed to a life of relative destitution.

• Like 1

Gunfights are a lot easier in story mode now that I have a billion hours of practice from GTA Online.  I have learned the nuances of the game mechanics (ie. if you have a Shooting Accuracy criteria for Gold medals, use a pistol, shotgun, or sniper rifle.) but some of the shit is hit or miss.

I hate the Gold medal criteria stuff that has some dumb twist or is nigh impossible to get through normal gameplay (ex. In order to meet the Body Count objective for Gold medal completion of the Trevor Philiips Industries mission, you have to kill one of the four guys in the getaway vehicles before they can speed off in cars doing Warp Factor Nine.  Bogus.)

I have a hard time balancing gameplay with my odd nonchalance about medals or achievements. I did tint my Combat MG with the LSPD tint just because, and it unlocked an achievement for me, something about blinging out my gun.

I had to run around last week and do a bunch of stunt jumps 'cause I REALLY wanted that pearlescent lime green, which rocks on several of my cars now. I even put it on the Brown Hornet (my brown Sultan) for this odd brownish-green effect.

Now I've got the Green Hornet (my green Exemplar) and the Brown Hornet (the Sultan). Have any of the rest of you named any of your cars?

• Like 1

My black and gold Phoenix was nicknamed The Bandit, but I sold it.

I now own a yelllow and black Gauntlet.  Yes, it looks like Bumblebee from the Transformers toy line and movies, hence the nickname.

My lava red pearlescent paint EntityXF = The Fireball Express.

Even if the custom license plate is taken, we are still goint to refer to your Hearse as either The Last Ride or (in honor of Animal House) The Deathmobile..

Nor have I heard the immortal words, "Oh, boy! Is this great?" during any of our murder sprees.  I reccommend we all watch Animal House and incorporate at least one memorable quote into the game chatter.

• Like 2

I needed about one mission to realize I should just forget about trying to get golds.  At least it hasn't got to the point like LA Noir, where I intentionally tried to get my scores as low as possible.  I will say that combat is insanely easy now that I've played about 709870234 hours of online.

Since online didn't really work yesterday, and I finally finished the main storyline last week, I decided to try to get the big money boosts from the stock market.  Did the S&F mission with the guy that gives you the stock tip, but the stock market seemed to not be doing anything.  I was about catatonic after too much freemode the day before, plus some exhausting, but good, real life stuff, so I just gave up and called it a night.  Guess my offline guys are doomed to a life of relative destitution.

The stock market stuff usually takes a while to take effect after you finish one of the assasinations.  I usually just went to a safehouse and slept a bunch to move the game clock forward.  You also have to keep in mind that it acts like the real stock market, so it's no going to change during nights/weekends.

I sorta oversimplified what actually happened.  I did the S&F encounter on a Saturday morning, in game.  The stock started going up immediately, even though it was Saturday, so that it had gone up about 3 or 4 percent by the time I managed to buy for all 3 guys.  It went up about 25% by the end of the day, before stopping, I guess at 5 PM.  From what I'd seen online, it should eventually to up 33%, so I decided to be greedy and wait it out.

After that, I could not get the stock to do anything, either up or down.  I waited for 4 or 5 game days, both with the safehouse clock forward deal, and with just leaving the game active for a significant  period of time.  I read that this seems to be a common issue at times.  If I get on tonight, I may see what it does.

You need to buy the stock before you do the assassination.  Also the percentage is not a solid number.  I had some that went up more than what I saw in FAQs, some less.  Ultimately it really doesn't matter too much.  If you bascially play it right, after the second assassination, you'll have more than enough to buy all the businesses, vehicles, etc so a couple of percentage points here and there isn't really going to make a difference in the long run.  My Franklin has billions of dollars and there's nothing to spend it on.  Michael is the "poorest" with $176 million.

My Green and Purple Jester is the Joker-Mobile. So is my Green and Purple Roosevelt. My Zentorno is either the Sith-Mobile or the Vader Car, because it's black and red. Although thinking sbout it, if I've got something called a Vader Car, it should really be a Big Van.

Discovered another way the database and game is really screwed up

Mark, JT and I were on just doing random stuff. And we were joking that "boy the game really wants us to do A Titan of A Job" because it kept appearing in the voting screen.

Then we noticed that some other stuff was appearing over and over.

It finally dawned on me. Everything was appearing alphabetical order - so the only things showing up in the voting screen where in the As

So basically to get anything different done you have to constantly go back to freemode and fire something else up

• Like 1

My pattern recognition skills shut down after work. 

I hate games that don't reward creativity.

So I am working on the Real Estate side missions with Trevor and Boy do I hate Closing The Deal.  It took me five tries to get a Gold medal. 

Basically the goal is to intimindate a rival real estate broker for your new friend, Josh Bernstein.

You find out that your target (some dude last name of Avery) drives a Green Comet.  This didn't really bother me because I have all of the engine and transmission mods for Trevor's Bodhi and it also has 100% armor, so whatever I hit with it gets wrecked.  The problem is that GTA physics does all sorts of weird things to vehicles traveling at high speed.

1.  The first failure came because the game doesn't want you to be smart; it wants to turn this into a car chase.   I got out of Trevor's truck, went into sneak mode, broke out the Heavy Sniper rifle scoped out the rear tire of the Comet, and fired.  Pop!  My grin became a frown as the cutscene magically repaired the Comet's tire and it sped off.  Fuck.  In order to win, I have to run this guy down..

2. Second failure came because I accelerated too fast and clipped the edge of the fountain in the front of the house where the Comet is parked and I flipped the Bodhi over on its side.  Fuck, again.

3.  Gave chase and was about to open fire when a BeeJay XL runs a stoplight and I t-bone the SUV as it guns into the intersection.  The entire city is protecting this asshole.  I call bullshit.

4. I gun the engine and PIT the Comet as it leaves the driveway of the house.... and I somehow manage run over the owner of the house in the process.  Two-star wanted level.  I cannot catch up to the Comet because traffic comes to a standstill and the cops are ramming my truck.  I am getting really pissed off.

The blood haze was setting into my eyes so I decided to knock off and partake of Jobber Thursday with Rippa and Mark.  I fire up Story Mode for one more try before bed.

5. Game Gods have pity on me.  I managed to PIT the Comet out of the driveway into traffic where it is struck by another vehicle and spins out.  It stays motionless long enough for me to pop the tires with gunfire and I beat the "Stop the car in under 40 seconds" window.  I then arm myself with a nightstick (the game took my crowbar away!) to satisfy the "Attack Avery with a melee weapon" criteria and I manage to remember that he needs to be alive. I slug him once in the head and resist the urge to bludgeon the guy to death in the middle of the street. 

Gold Medal!

I have to remember to devote some time to tracking down this last bridge I have to fly under and then see about these knife flights.

Normally I would pick on Mark for being the only guy to create a GTA race wth no rocket markers, but Mach-a-Go-Go-GO! is a really fun race. 

If it were me, I'd put either more Boost Icons along the highway or make Traffic On the default to slow players down,  because the guy in first place coming out of the race track and transitioning into the highway enduro part of the race will have a huge advantage, especially if people run that race with Catch-Up and Slipstream turned off.. 

I got into a rhythm of hitting Boost as I collected power-ups and I was in Sandy Shores in no time flat when there was no traffic to get in my way.  I had a huge lead.

Rippa's Zambui Express race continues to infuriate me. 

I run that race much better in my Elegy because it handles like a dream.  I can drift the far turn at the end of the airfield and maintain a lead, so long as I don't mis-time the first jump and land on the ammo crates near the hangar.

Whenever I try to bank the far airfield turn in a super, I usually spin out and I never hit the far ramps flush on the far straghtaway.  I almost got another Flippin' Hell medal, but God wanted me to win that race so somehow my Entity landed wheels down after two and a half flips over the checkpoint instead of roof down and blowing me up.

I can succesfully clip the checkpoints on the far airfield turn in a muscle car, but run into issues getting my car to accelerate through the sand heading up the rocky hill towards the next checkpoint.  Shitty traction on al muscle cars.

That race shold never be run with motorcycles.  Spacing of the obstacles is very forgiving for racers on bikes.  Auto races are far more challenging on that course.

Since i hadnt done the race with people yet, there were def tweeks i knew that needed to be done.

I was planning on adding more boosts but hadnt done it yet since i was off the game for a few days.

You should see if there are any red shipping containers available in Creator.  You could do a tribute to the Mammoth Car by lining the cul-de-sac near the winning turn with red boxes instead of the teal Jetsam containers.

Ha. I also need to see if i can fix it so Turismo R is only car choice.

Prob no playing for me. Filling in on another project today and have to do s 10 instread of normal Friday 8. But hey, OT this year. And starting new test on Monday.

I have house stuff to take care of up in Maryland so I am going to be offline until Tuesday. 

It would also be nice if I took my woman out to a nice brunch or something, watched an NBA Finals game, and took a nap or two.

Well so do I

I think the bigger thing will be do I force myself to play the story mode of GTA V instead

I think Michael is getting pissed at me for making him spawn all over the city without actually doing anything

Yeah.  For every nine hours of GTA:O I play, I manage fifteen minutes of Story Mode play or something to that effect.  I am sure that Trevor is getting tired of waking up in drunken stupors only to have me turn the console off and go to bed.

Eventually I am going to have to beat Story Mode so I can transition to Watch Dogs, but I am not going to commit to Watch Dogs until the No-Kinect XBone is out..