DVDVR Message Board

The Gadgetry Thread

It's a shame Succession is done, because I fully expect the Roy kids to fight over one of these for an entire episode, only to have Connor accidentally spill wine on it and break it. 

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Shadow said:

Can you tech savvy folks suggest a gaming computer for me? I haven’t had one in years and I’m itching to get back to pc. I am looking to go between 4-5k.

What's your setup going to be?  Actual sitting at a desk use?  Monitor or just a bigass TV?  Do you have games in mind you want to run in high resolution/framerate?  VR headset potential?  Are you going to assemble or buy premade?  Premade I have no advice.  Are you going complete from scratch i.e you need a display/keyboard/mouse/gamepad?  My keyboard suggestion is cheapo logitech (sub-20 bucks).  Gamepad I suggest 8bitdo SN30 pro+  That is a SNES style with PSX dualshock analog and wings with R2 Triggers.  I don't really like trigger shoulder buttons but you can't always avoid them.  My favorite controller is Wii U pro.  If you have to have 360 layout the 8bitdo Ultimate has extremely positive buzz.  I also use their NES Advantage looking arcade stick.  Be forewarned, if you plan to upgrade the stick the case has very shallow depth.   I had to remove both weights and skive out a bit of the bottom and it still doesn't quite shut all the way.  This was for a Seimitsu.  Might not be an issue anymore.  Mouse I have a logitech G600 and wish I had my old G5.  I HATE how many thumb buttons it has.  I have just used bigass TVs for my display and still see no reason to buy a monitor.  My TV is Samsung UN50J5000 50-Inch I bought refurbished back in 2016 for 398 bucks.  LOVE IT.  No smart TV bullshit at all.  Reciever is Denon AVR S740H.  I was at 7.1 but my two oldest speakers crapped out and now I just have 5.1.  Probably more than I need even 8+years later.  My PC is my hi-fi.

Plan your build around what you are actually going to play and your display's native resolution.  There aren't a ton of really bleeding edge new games and probably even fewer of those you'll actually put time in on.  Your rig can't always overcome a lazy port.  Have a plan.  At least 5 games you are really chomping at the bit to play.Some of those PS4 games were dogs and some had nice ports.  Horizon was suposedly a great port but I already beat it.  Days Gone is one of those sleeper games where people coming to it now are really enjoying it.  Didn't play it on PS4 or PC myself. 

My basic advice is PCpartpicker.com  Start with CPU and GPU and individual budget choices then build around what those need.   It should lead you to compatible parts. People also have their buildlists to peruse. My other suggestion is get a giant case.  Modular PSU and nothing but SSD hard drives 16gb minimum Ram. Have your smallest SSD as just your OS and farmer five programs.  Have room for expandability but know that you probably won't make any major revisions to your PC.  Do try to get all your parts at once.  If you slowly piece together components you'll end up letting the budget and scope creep.  Don't put much stock in rebates, they end up being a huge ballache.  Nowadays I would also use an Amazon locker if possible for the really high dollar parts.  If only to keep shit from getting rained on. On th' other hand don't totally dismiss ordering direct from manufacturers sites.  The only brands I can think of are Samsung for the SSDs and EVGA for the GPU.  I have no experience with AMD or Intel GPUs. I have no experience with NVMe. On my current build I'm using an all-in-one watercooler from Corsair.  My understanding is that regular ass Coolermaster 212 fans are more than fine today.  I bought a 1080ti back in 2017 and I really don't feel I need to upgrade even now.  I probably need to build a new PC within a year so I will end up doing that though.  I remember thinking I wanted to get a 2080 whenever Dying Light 2 was originally going to come out February '20 and all those RTX ray tracing cards were first coming out.  Didn't need to do that! Older doesn't necessarily mean cheaper and more expensive doesn't necessarily mean better.  There seems to be a sweet spot where really good stuff starts getting cheaper but then they get discontinued and prices blow up.  Not even in reaction to a great demand either.

• Thanks 1

There isn't really a good place for this so this seems as good as any

If you used Stitcher to listen to your podcasts - you will need to find a different way.

They announced on Twitter that the app and website will discontinue operations on August 29

https://twitter.com/Stitcher/status/1673730464681541632?s=20

1 minute ago, RIPPA said:

There isn't really a good place for this so this seems as good as any

If you used Stitcher to listen to your podcasts - you will need to find a different way.

They announced on Twitter that the app and website will discontinue operations on August 29

https://twitter.com/Stitcher/status/1673730464681541632?s=20

It's all being absorbed into Sirius XM from the sounds of it. Stitcher was still signing podcast deals for a lot of money up until a few months ago. I'm guessing between now and 8/29 they just trying to get people to transition from the Stitcher app to the Sirius XM app. I also don't think any of the RSS feeds are changing so if you used anything else that's better than Stitcher, which is almost anything (except Apple's podcast app), then you should be fine.