DVDVR Message Board

Random Boxing Thoughts/News v. 3

Elsalvajeloco

Okay, now it's official

Kevin Iole @KevinI 1m

OFFICIAL! Mayweather-Pacquiao. MGM Grand. Las Vegas. May 2, 2015. #MayweatherPacquiao

21317370_fp9aru5tfmn51q0dt7rmhlrnh6lzg2f

What the world has been waiting for has arrived. Mayweather vs. Pacquiao on May 2, 2015, is a done deal. I promised the fans we would get this done, and we did. We will make history on May 2nd. Don't miss it! This is the signed contract from both fighters. www.themoneyteam.com

Andreas Hale @AndreasHale 18s

No rematch clause for Mayweather-Pacquiao. One fight deal.

SHOWTIME SPORTS @SHOsports 33s

Regarding All Access & 24/7, no details are confirmed at this time. We will be doing ancillary programming to support the fight.

Andreas Hale @AndreasHale now

There will be an all-star commentary team from both HBO & Showtime. It will be announced at a later date.

Mauro is actually pretty good IMO aside from the obligatory puns and catchphrases. I don't love him like Meltzer does, but he fits into whatever seamlessly compared to everyone else.

Now who I don't want to see? Kellerman. He's a HBO shill guy now. FNF era Kellerman would shit on how awful 2012-present Max Kellerman is.

If it has to be a three man booth, it is going to be Lampley, Bernstein, and a non PBP guy. It will most likely come down to seniority. Jim Gray will likely be there because of that as well. Gray probably trades off on the interviews with Kellerman. This is where you miss Emanuel Steward. He was the best when big fights went down.

Whether it's high or lower than expected, it's going to break the revenue record. Now the actual Mayweather/De La Hoya 2.5 million number? That only can be determined the last three or four days (fighter arrivals at MGM, presser, weigh-in) before the fight and fight night itself. But because it's a very big fight, I expect to hear tracking numbers DURING fight week as opposed to the day after to two weeks later.

The thing is you can never really measure that when they're facing other guys. Yeah, Pacquiao vs. Algieri is gonna bomb on PPV. Yeah, Floyd isn't gonna do a million against Robert Guerrero. You can promote those fights 4 or 5 months out and still have disappointing numbers. However, if it's a fight everyone truly wants to see, they can fight next Saturday outside in the pouring rain. Doesn't matter.

Rumblings are that it's Lampley, Bernstein, RJJ.  I can live with that.

Turns out I was right :)

Lance Pugmire @latimespugmire 7m

..@DaneD_NY supposed to be Lampley and Bernstein with Kellerman and Gray handling fighter interviews. James Brown is studio host