DVDVR Message Board

2015 Non-Event General MMA Talk Thread

Elsalvajeloco

I wonder why they're gun shy on re-matching Hendricks and Lawler. Many people had Johny winning that first fight and it was a good, competitive fight. Not only that, but Condit lost to Woodley due to an injury. It just makes so much more sense to me to do the Hendricks and Lawler rubbermatch, while having Condit and Woodley determine the next challenger.

I think they're worried about Hendricks wet blanketing lawyer for 5rounds thus them having a shitty title fight.

The fact that Dana White is the President/public face of a billion dollar corporation is mind-boggling.  He has to have the worst personal PR skills of any major organization exec in history.  Except for Trump.

WCPO%20Marge%20Schott_1398717445645_4273

"Kevin, let me tell you about the fruits and the Coloreds..."

I was looking up random Mike Goldberg goofs and one of the best for my money was the Shooter movie plug at the start of Couture/Sylvia where he finishes it despite Couture putting Sylvia on his ass. I went on Fight Pass to relive it but they edited it out! Do they do this with all the old shills from that era or was this an exception because of how awful it was?

Another great one: "Travis Lutter is the Michael Jordan of BJJ..." followed by the awkward exchange with Joe ("Larry Bird?").

Also, I wonder how much of Dana White's idiocy hurts the UFC with sponsorships or other lucrative deals. Who the fuck wastes time responding to tweets only to call people fat, ugly, or dorks with no followers (because more followers obviously = better than you, just like money!)?

I'm not claiming of course that Dana is *that* bad I guess

He has to have the worst personal PR skills of any major organization exec in history.

I dunno. The superlative didn't help your argument.

Anyway, he likely wouldn't make my top 25 list.

In fight sports, he is about the same as all the other guys. I mean Don King has a couple homicides, and he's still marching around with 150 flags in hand.

• Like 1

How influential is King now? I'm a casual boxing fan but it would seem like his promotion company isn't a big player these days. And while we have a long way to go, I think in the last 15-20 years, standards have improved yet Dana White still talks like a 15-year-old drop out and acts with impunity. 

Twitter is garbage and most of what goes on there is garbage anyway.

As for Hendricks/Woodley, Hendricks made it sound like he wouldn't accept a fight with Woodley on MMA Hour and only wanted a title rematch with Lawler.

Honestly, I would prefer Lawler/Condit since that's a more fresh, exciting match-up paper.  Both of the Hendricks/Lawler fights were close decisions.  Of course, Woodley is going to complain since he's the last guy to beat Condit and he's top 3 and should get a big fight.  Personally, I'd be fine with him fighting Lawler just so Lawler could shut him up.

Still, how ready is Lawler going to be after that nasty fight with McDonald?  Seems like he might need a few months off.  Fight was less than two weeks ago.

DKP doesn't have to be mid peak for Don King to be terrible. Hell, Don King was on television last Saturday behind Amir Imam calling out Mayweather like a lunatic. Then, everyone still treats him like your favorite crazy uncle at the cookout despite the fact he destroyed countless lives over the span of 30 to 40 years. Plus, the whole killing people thing again.

As far as the standards thing go, they have improved. However, the political and business nature of sports makes it possible for a lot of things to happen. Donald Sterling was around a LONG TIME. His whole situation wasn't like this miracle moment where people finally knew who he was. It's foolish to believe for example, "OMG Adam Silver is the best! He got rid of the mean man!" If the owners are the extension of the face/brand of the league/org, it would be silly to praise someone for doing something that should have happened YEARS ago. People want to make money without a ton of hassle. They also want to manuever politically and be successful. Thus, you have people like Sterling and Marge Schott in stick and ball sports. People aren't stupid. They know who these people are. However, league/orgs/etc. are not going to do anything that isn't advantageous for them. So at some point, those people being around made sense from a financial standpoint. If people ULTIMATELY in charge are still morally corrupt, the standards can improve steadily from here to the year 2929 and nothing changes overall.

So knowing the above and that combat sports is still in the stone age, you'll understand why Dana White and the Galveston mafia connected Fertitta family are in charge of the UFC.

• Like 1

I wonder if the UFC would really pull the trigger on Aldo/McGregor & Weidman/Rockhold + Rousey vs. person w/ confirmed pulse.  That would be bananas.

UFC 193 still needs a main event, but it would make sense to make 1/2 a loaded show. We also have the RDA/Cerrone fight that still needs a home.

Putting three title fights on one card IMHO always asking for trouble.  Two should be your max.  Just saying, history proves you don't want three because that means three 25 minute fights going the distance plus the undercard.  It's just not a good idea.

Pick two solid title fights and stick with that.

However, the problem is that fighters pull out of main events with alarming regularity.  They should just promote individual fighters for cards and whoever is healthy that week...decide the match-ups that time :D .  Just kidding, but that's what basically happens with all these last minute injuries.

Booking Jerry World kind of throws historical precedents out the window though, doesn't it? Ronda fights last all of ~20 seconds and she would be a massive boost to attendance and the number of eyeballs on the event. Booking the women's bantamweight title hardly means 25 minutes of fighting.

The dream scenario Elsavajeloco put forward would be unreal. It could push the company and the sport to all new levels. Get Cyborg on that card and set up the Ronda showdown. I'm giddy just thinking about it.

I don't think 1/2 would be that feasible at AT&T Stadium since the Cowboys' last regular season game is at home vs. WSH the next day. I mean I would love to see that happen and Pugmire's tweet I saw earlier indicates Dana is still thinking that way. However, Vegas is still Vegas. This would have been a great time for NY to have come through because I feel that UFC should break up that MGM-MGM-MGM early Dec-late Jan. run a bit. So going to Calgary at least helps that and with a quality headliner for right now.

Here is what I would do. You do Aldo-McGregor along with Weidman-Rockhold and you throw Jacare-Romero and Overeem-JDS on there as a cushion. Put a prospect building fight as the opener, and you're good. For Super Bowl Saturday, I would go with Ronda-opponent and then have Joanna vs. the Gadelha/Esparza 8/1 winner. I think having Ronda would boost Joanna's popularity. Then, I would put Cyborg vs. Tate/Zingano/McMann at a catchweight. I just feel that at some point you're going to need to pay Cyborg money to do something. She'll have one more squash match on this upcoming September Invicta card, and that's when I would make my move. Nothing is stopping them from removing the 135 clause from her contract. It's not like they going get into a legal confrontation with themselves over this.

You put two good to solid male fights on that main card and put a bow on that.

I'm not claiming of course that Dana is *that* bad I guess

He has to have the worst personal PR skills of any major organization exec in history.

I dunno. The superlative didn't help your argument.

Anyway, he likely wouldn't make my top 25 list.

In fight sports, he is about the same as all the other guys. I mean Don King has a couple homicides, and he's still marching around with 150 flags in hand.

Can't even exaggerate for effective on wrestling message boards anymore, what is this world coming to.

I wonder if the UFC would really pull the trigger on Aldo/McGregor & Weidman/Rockhold + Rousey vs. person w/ confirmed pulse.  That would be bananas.

after the atrocity of UFC 33, dana said they would never do three title fights on one event ever again.

i'm sure you know that. and i know to take dana's "never"s with a grain of salt. just wanted to point it out.

after the atrocity of UFC 33, dana said they would never do three title fights on one event ever again.

i'm sure you know that. and i know to take dana's "never"s with a grain of salt. just wanted to point it out.

I think the only way they would do 3 title fights is if Ronda was in one of them.

By the way, UFC 190 is going to be SEVEN fights on the main card. So even if they did 3 title fights, it would line up to be about the same as the 190 main card.