DVDVR Message Board

2015 Non-Event General MMA Talk Thread

Elsalvajeloco

Cyborg would probably be between 165 and 170 come the fight.

Pretty much. Safely, I would probably put it about five or so pounds from 165. About 18 months ago, she said she was walking around 165-168. My point being that making 135 is pretty much just semantics. If you're pushing a rehydration clause (which would probably nuke the fight) in a contract, then that would make a SIGNIFICANT difference. If Rousey's camp was saying she had to be 1XX come Saturday, then glfpunk's stance would make a semblance of sense. As of now, she can weigh whatever the fuck she wants as long as she gets to 135. If Ronda was 148-150, Cyborg is still going to be between 160-165. That would happen whether the fight is 135, 140, or 145.

I remember it being a big deal how much weight Gleison Tibau cuts and then rehydrates to about 180 on fight night.  25lb difference over his weight class.  Cyborg reportedly is already basically at that number for fighting at 145.  She's not going to just be able to cut an additional 10lbs of water weight.  She's going to have to start from a lower weight which will put her rehydrating to a lower weight. 

Yeah she's going to weigh more than Ronda on fight night no doubt because she's going to cut from an extreme because that's what she already does, but 10lbs is a big difference.  And to Hail Sabin, if you think Cyborg is going to put on 35lbs of water weight in a day's time from weigh in to fight night, that's not going to happen.  I would expect in a fight at 135 for Ronda to be around 150 and Cyborg to be around 160.  That's not abnormal between fighters because not all fighters cut from an extreme number. 

But no, absolutely not will she stay at her current weight and just dehydrate and cut an additional 10 pounds and then rehydrate back to her usual number.  The reason this fight hasn't happened is because she's sticking to the point that she physically cannot do that and does not want to make the lifestyle/training adjustments necessary for her to lose weight to a point where she can cut down to 135. 

I remember it being a big deal how much weight Gleison Tibau cuts and then rehydrates to about 180 on fight night.  25lb difference over his weight class.  Cyborg reportedly is already basically at that number for fighting at 145.  She's not going to just be able to cut an additional 10lbs of water weight.  She's going to have to start from a lower weight which will put her rehydrating to a lower weight. 

Yeah she's going to weigh more than Ronda on fight night no doubt because she's going to cut from an extreme because that's what she already does, but 10lbs is a big difference.  And to Hail Sabin, if you think Cyborg is going to put on 35lbs of water weight in a day's time from weigh in to fight night, that's not going to happen.  I would expect in a fight at 135 for Ronda to be around 150 and Cyborg to be around 160.  That's not abnormal between fighters because not all fighters cut from an extreme number. 

But no, absolutely not will she stay at her current weight and just dehydrate and cut an additional 10 pounds and then rehydrate back to her usual number.  The reason this fight hasn't happened is because she's sticking to the point that she physically cannot do that and does not want to make the lifestyle/training adjustments necessary for her to lose weight to a point where she can cut down to 135. 

I don't expect her to be rolling around at 168-169 like she was for a couple of her early Invicta fights, but I've heard some crazy shit on fight weeks. Therefore, nothing would surprise me. I've seen training footage where people at least appear way smaller than they usually are. Then, on fight night, they look like they ate a previous, weaker incarnation of themselves.

It just all depends on what George Lockhart is doing with her. From the two fights he's been working with her, the only thing I can tell is he isn't trying to compromise her fighting ability. That's good and bad news. It's good in a sense that he isn't choosing go the Mike Dolce way and have her starve herself through one camp just to show up at 139 or 141 so she can get good publicity. It's bad in that she is gradually losing two or three or maybe five pounds here and there. So it might not be a lifestyle change as it is trying to make sure she doesn't have to do one insane weight cut. I think where Meltzer and other journalists are off base with the eye test is that they expect one big massive change overnight. Right now, Meltzer is making it sound like she is the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man and getting bigger everytime even when he knows she plans on fighting her next fight at 140. I think that's a tad bit overzealous.

At this point, I say it's more realistic than putting it in May. If there aren't any snafus, that also gives Ronda time to shoot her movie, do a long media tour, do any other media and film related obligations, and then do a 9 or 10 week training camp. 

My only thing is they have to find a way to get Cyborg off of Fight Pass in the interim. Unless, they're going do to a show on FS1 where they replay her old fights or something like they've done with some of the champs.

At this point, I say it's more realistic than putting it in May. If there aren't any snafus, that also gives Ronda time to shoot her movie, do a long media tour, do any other media and film related obligations, and then do a 9 or 10 week training camp. 

Don't forget about Wrestlemania.

I don't follow WWE past reading about it and listening to WOR, but how awkward would it be for Steph. By this I mean she figures out that whatever she does and wants to take credit for that those girls can't be Ronda Rousey. The only way I can see that actually working is if Ronda does something that gives those new women the rub. I don't know how you can that without any physical risk and UFC signing off on it.

Diego Brandao vs. Katsunori Kikuno has been added to the UFC Japan card.

Ross Pearson vs. Paul Felder has been added to the UFC 191 card.

Anthony Hamilton vs. Derrick Lewis has been added to the UFC 192 card.

Was just watching espn and scrolling across the bottom it said Cyborg is in talks with ufc about December fight with Rousey and is agreeing to drop to 135. Tito apparently said some incorrect shit earlier though so who knows. Her agent said she'd drop the weight though and could do it by December.

They could just run highlights of Cyborg on a bunch of UFC shows in autumn to hype up Cris instead of laying Miesha or whomever at the altar for sacrifice. Make it happen, for the love of all things glorious.

They could just run highlights of Cyborg on a bunch of UFC shows in autumn to hype up Cris instead of laying Miesha or whomever at the altar for sacrifice. Make it happen, for the love of all things glorious.

If Invicta can't find people for her to fight, then that's what may end up happening anyway.

And Dana going back on his word wouldn't be a new thing.

You mean as far as the Meisha Tate thing? I'd put that in the shit happens category and she already lost to Rousey twice anyway.  What I'm curious of is knowing that Cyborg is willing to drop to 135 for the fight, will she stay in the UFC 135lb division? And will it be a title fight?

If they put it on the same card with Conor/Aldo, that should do some hefty buys. 

http://www.ufc.com/news/Dana-White-Says-Cristiane-Justino-Was-Never-Offered-Ronda-Rousey-Fight?utm_campaign=UFC&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&utm_content=1439247273

So 194 is at MGM Grand

If Cris has to make it and Lockhart is correct that she can, why not Cyborg/Zingano underneath that fight (Rousey/Tate III)?