DVDVR Message Board

I'm too old for this shit...(OR "Back in my day...")

Ramsey

I will address both of your responses here rather than piss off the admins with multiquotes.

1) You don't see a fundamental difference between sports management and bashing Kevin Dunn, part of a scripted entertainment company? A GM/Coach have definable jobs...hiring personnel, drafting players, signing free agents, coaching a team with quantifiable results...team record, player performance. Someone in the know here define exactly how Kevin Dunn is involved in anything besides his official title of Producing the shows. You can't outside of Internet hearsay, hence the point.

2) See point 1, you don't know what Dunn does, yet the current day Internet turds bash him based on zero substance. Russo had quantifiable results (ratings as he was in charge of creative, no murkiness) that he has spoke of first hand. He has taken "credit" for the angles that people pan. It's completely different.

Don't get angry because you hate the Internet boogeyman.

I will address both of your responses here rather than piss off the admins with multiquotes.

1) You don't see a fundamental difference between sports management and bashing Kevin Dunn, part of a scripted entertainment company? A GM/Coach have definable jobs...hiring personnel, drafting players, signing free agents, coaching a team with quantifiable results...team record, player performance. Someone in the know here define exactly how Kevin Dunn is involved in anything besides his official title of Producing the shows. You can't outside of Internet hearsay, hence the point.

2) See point 1, you don't know what Dunn does, yet the current day Internet turds bash him based on zero substance. Russo had quantifiable results (ratings as he was in charge of creative, no murkiness) that he has spoke of first hand. He has taken "credit" for the angles that people pan. It's completely different.

Don't get angry because you hate the Internet boogeyman.

I'll address point 1 by telling you to visit any forum that specializes in television productions. People bash networks, network execs and studio execs regularly. 

I miss the "Art of the Time Limit Draw", building a match up to a fever pitch with the crowd buying into it and then having to end the match.  Leaving the crowd wanting more.

I miss the time limit draw to an extent. However, it seems like that in 1980's era WWF, it was an excuse to fill 20 minutes and you got a Jim Neidhart vs. Tony Garea chinlock fest. Even a lot of the old NWA tv title matches that went to a draw, you could clearly tell the guys were just filling time until the end.

I miss title defenses that meant something. Now we see 20 a week and multiple changes per month. Go back to defending it on big shows in massively hyped matches. Maybe have a champ squash a jobber to further an angle sometimes like Flair did in the 80s.

I miss street fights. Just bad ass dudes wearing street clothes punching the fuck out of each other. Not dudes in their normal wrestling attire wasting 20 minutes trying to build up an overused choreographed table spot that means nothing because we have seen it used every week for years,

I miss promos. Not 10 minute long conversation segments. One guy or group. Interviewed by an announcer. Hyping a feud, not trying to be a stand up comedian. 

I also miss War Games. More than anything. I'm only 30 but one of my early memories of watching NWA with my dad was the Merietta Massacre. I remember us screaming at our tv. War Games made for such perfect revenge.

Punk and Y2J had the last come as you are street fight IIRC. That was a good match.

I second your opinion on promos. I HATE the usual 20 minute long monologue that sets up RAW. If I pay a ticket to watch wrestling, the last thing I want to see is Authority Figure #152 spouting off about something and being interrupted by multiple people to set up the main event. People tend to forget that the best promos ever almost always top out at around 5-6 minutes.

1) Big guys being booked like big guys. 30 years ago, Mark Henry would've tossed Rusev like a sack of shit and went on to job to Hogan. Now, Rusev is booked like the bigger man? Da hale. 6ft and barely 300lbs is NOT a big man in wrestling.

2) Remember when no one gave a shit what kind of background a wrestler came from if it wasn't part of the gimmick?

WWE follows such a specific formula it's hard not to get bored after awhile. Oh look, wrestler A is thrown to the outside. That means its time for a break. Oh look, wrestler Bs music played in the middle of someone else's match. That distraction will lead to a cheap win by wrestler C.

One of the things that was great about WCW was there was a sense of chaos. Random matches that made zero sense. Squash matches galore. Prolonged mid-card pushes going to nowhere. Interviews with no angles to push. A lineup of legit world title contenders. Wrestlers wrestling different styles. Feuds occuring but barely being referenced by the announcers. Part of this was intentional, the majority of it ineptitude. Regardless, it gave the sense that there were all of these real brutes in the back just waiting for the call to come out and do their thing and that anything could happen.

Today, the majority of Raw is a bunch of ultra talented midcarders who dance with the same partners week after week with minimal build and minimal purpose. Nothing is interesting or fresh. There is a glass ceiling no one goes past. Typically the only feud the announcers pay attention to is the main event. There is one main eventer (Cena) and that's just the way it is. Everyone else is just feeding off the scraps.

To add in on the foreign object discussion, when was the last time a heel used "brass knuckles", or threw "salt" in the eyes? Effective, easy ways to get a pin, without giving someone a concussion. I'm 35, and although I follow very loosely through the internet, I haven't watched raw in at least ten years. . . 

Could Regal have been the last one to use knucks?

Also, Chris Hero needs to go full on Mac-circa season 7 where he attributes his weight gain to just cultivating mass to impress HHH, wears shirts a size or two too small and thinks he's almost a muscle-head.

• Like 3

To add in on the foreign object discussion, when was the last time a heel used "brass knuckles", or threw "salt" in the eyes? Effective, easy ways to get a pin, without giving someone a concussion. I'm 35, and although I follow very loosely through the internet, I haven't watched raw in at least ten years. . . 

Also, Chris Hero needs to go full on Mac-circa season 7 where he attributes his weight gain to just cultivating mass to impress HHH, wears shirts a size or two too small and thinks he's almost a muscle-head.

He should also start wearing a Birds of War outfit and getting the crowd to go Stomp, Clap, Stomp, Stomp, Clap!

He should also start wearing a Birds of War outfit and getting the crowd to go Stomp, Clap, Stomp, Stomp, Clap!

If he comes to the ring with a grocery bag full of chimichangas, I'm in.

A few of my local indy feds still use the time limits and will occasionally do the draw finish.  There was one last Saturday where the promoter granted the request of the fans and the face for five more minutes; however, the heel powdered out right away once the bell rang for the restart(resulting in a quickie countout).  Well played.

The weird thing is that the one local fed that has a "Television Championship" doesn't push a strict time limit on it; I think it's fifteen minutes but it would probably work better with ten.