DVDVR Message Board

DC Comics omnibus thread

odessasteps

Post Death Metal The Suicide Squad and Swamp Thing

The Suicide Squad Robbie Thompson, pencilled by Eduardo Pansica.  Swamp thing Ram V, art by Mike Perkins.

EobPnDEVgAAoH-M.jpg Eoa82-7XUAIz81d.jpg

New DC universe post Death metal will be DC 2021.  Bleeding cool says the following are also the new books Geoffrey Thorne and Tom Raney on New Green Lantern #1. Ram V And Xermanico for Justice League Dark. And Teen Titans Academy.

I expect solicts to spolier more.

Edited by D.Z

Batman: Whatever Happened to the Caped Crusader? This book collects both parts of the title story written by Neil Gaiman and four other Batman stories written by him (A Black and White World, Pavane, Original Sins and When is a Door). The title story is a two part story set at Batman’s wake, part two of which is better than part one. Out of the four additional stories, A Black and White World was the best. A Black and White World sees Batman and The Joker as actors waiting to act their scene out. I imagined such a scenario every now and then as a child.

Batman: Battle for the Cowl #1-3. Tony Daniel is both the writer and the artist. Batman is missing after Final Crisis, his allies know it as do the villains and Gotham City also. I really enjoyed this, each issue is narrated by a different character: Tim Drake in #1, Jason Todd in #2 and #3 by Dick Grayson. All three sport Batman costumes, who should be the new Batman? Dick is reluctant to so Tim wears one to stop Todd’s defiling of it, a killer. I read part of the ending to #3 when it was reprinted in Batman Legends, a UK publication collecting reprints 10 years ago. Ten years on I’ve read the full thing.

Batman: Life After Death collects Batman #692-699 by Tony Daniel. The title story through Batman #692-697 sees Dick Grayson’s Batman investigating the Black Mask while Riddle Me This is about Batman’s search for a killer who copies the methods used by Gotham’s most notorious rogue’s gallery. The title story was alright while Riddle Me This was okay. This follow up to Batman: Battle of the Cowl wasn’t as good, unfortunately.

Last stories of the DCU

Most Titan eras exists again along with the older costumes flashback panel wise. Even NU52 somehow.

Sinestro is a Green Lantern  again, maybe.

Another Donna Troy from another world exists on the main Earth.

Batman made Nightwing and Batgirl married. I expect this to be undone post Death Metal.

Titans welcome back Wally. And they meta bury Didio's burial.

Batman revived Roy with his black lantern ring, as a Zombie who can talk.

Dark Multiverse Flashpoint

Spoiler

Reverse Flash takes center stage as Barry dies in this reality. Zooms wearing red pants and yellow boots for some reason. Zoom thinks it's ironic a world created by hope is fucked up and he likes it. Zoom kills some heroes from that earth, the new whisper retcon as well also influenced this world. Zoom wants USA and the President is working for Zoom. The Pres... is loosely based on Trump (tv star and blonde )and Biden (riggering).

Zoom kills Cyborg via atomizing and names himself Flash.

Seems he wants Thomas Wayne as his Arch nemesis. Cyborg is now just all robot. Zoom kills Aquaman.

Superman is freed, while America and Amazons and Atlanteans enter peace thanks to Zoom.

Superman faces Zoom while Cyborg and Batman use Ultra-Sonics and then bullets to stop Zoom. Cyborg is mad at Thomas. Superman makes Zoom feel hope, while Batman knocks out Cyborg and kills Superman.

The Atlanteans and Amazons are united and they arrive to the same spot and they want the universe, and they have teamed up with the Dark New Gods who Barda controls. But Zoom races to the past to change the world into one where Batman parents are saved along with their son and no Batman exists.

Ends with Zoom and his new world of Zoom inspired people.

Edited by D.Z

Death Metal 6

Spoiler

Lady P is defeated and the Batman who Laughs sends his best soldiers via fixing the prime Earth and creates more evil versions. Wonder Woman saves the day without the book, so one universe, one story with every story good or bad , one history. And now she's some kinda powered up Golden Goddess.

New Batman book with Grifter announced.  And new Crime Syndicate mininseries too, shows the new Earth 3 and the reality updated new version of Crime Syndicate. The new Earth 1 is Futures State Earth. So new main universe could either be either prime Earth or Earth 2.

Edited by D.Z

On 12/2/2020 at 8:58 PM, odessasteps said:

Someone I know has been raving about the new Spectre Omnibus, which is (mostly?) fleischer/aparo stuff I think. 

Tell me more! If this is what I think it is (a collection of the batshit insane fleischer/aparo material from Adventure, just take my money now, please.) Some of the high points included things like the Spectre turning into a giant pair of scissors in order to cut the evil doer in half.  Lots of fun stuff like that. Apparently no one ever thought to tell Fleischer that grand larceny does not normally call for the death penalty. I think I have all of the original issues somewhere, I'll have to check, but I think that the Spectre strip may have been almost solely responsible for the death of the "Comics Code" (a ridiculous thing enacted to calm down parents who had read Seduction of the Innocent. Some amusing aspects of the "Comics Code": You could not use the names of various monsters such as vampires, Frankenstein, or (wait for it..) Wolfman, the problem that arose was that writer Marv Wolfman liked to be credited for his work. Another no-no was using the word "flick" as over-inking could cause running which would leave you with an entirely different word... That people like Stan Lee, Gardner Fox, and Julius Schwartz actually sat around and dreamed this shit up as a salvo to quiet the concerns of parents actually ranks up there with their most notable creative endeavors. Fantastic Four 42-60 or the Comics Code Authority? That's a tough call, but I'm going with the CCA as the more creative endeavor as it was pure prose without the artwork of a Jack Kirby, Steve Ditko, or Murphy Anderson to fall back on.

IIRC: The Spectre was the last (or very near to the last) of the original JSA members to get revived in the 1960s. I think that the Sandman and Wildcat may have actually been the last two as I'm pretty sure that the Spectre had his own book for at least a few months before the annual JSA/JLA team-up when they brought Sandman back. 

Quotethis omnibus collects Showcase #60-61 and #64, The Brave and the Bold #72, #75, #116, #180, and #199, The Spectre #1-10, Adventure Comics #431-440, DC Comics Presents #29, and Ghosts #97-99

I love the Spectre melting a guy turned into wax. 

also the weird Pilgrim issue.

Kon El is showing up in Superman books with his modified 90s costume.. Not sure if the speculation is right about there being two Kon Els running around.

Superman Red and Blue...the Superman version of Batman black and white is coming. Another Wonder Woman book with her regular book still going. The Flash team was already announced and will feature both Barry and Wally.

Teen Titans Academy is the Titans book.

Edited by D.Z
  • Like 2

Solicts are out.

So Aquaman, Red Hood, Losh, JLD are axed. While Red Hood and Bat family show up in the new Batman urban book. JLD will carry on as a back up for JL.

Several main books have back ups now. And seems some characters from Futures State will carry over.

Can't  expect  new GL title until Morrisons run is over.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, D.Z said:

Kon El is showing up in Superman books with his modified 90s costume.. Not sure if the speculation is right about there being two Kon Els running around.

Superman Red and Blue...the Superman version of Batman black and white is coming. Another Wonder Woman book with her regular book still going. The Flash team was already announced and will feature both Barry and Wally.

Teen Titans Academy is the Titans book.

47 minutes ago, D.Z said:

Solicts are out.

So Aquaman, Red Hood, Losh, JLD are axed. While Red Hood and Bat family show up in the new Batman urban book. JLD will carry on as a back up for JL.

Several main books have back ups now. And seems some characters from Futures State will carry over.

Can't  expect  new GL title until Morrisons run is over.

So the DC lines getting a new start akin to The New 52 back in 2011 and Rebirth from 2016, yeah? Surprised there's no Aquaman book with his popularity through the DCEU as portrayed by Jason Momoa. I think back to The Big Bang Theory mocking Aquaman.

• Like 1