DVDVR Message Board

2014 WORLD CUP THREAD

RIPPA

Holy crap they actually replayed the clip of England's fake goal where they stole the world cup. I thought that was just perma-vaulted for actual broadcasts here.

Next thing you know they'll acknowledge Italy won a world cup thanks to Mussolini threatening to execute the referees for any other result.

Anybody that is a perceived threat to Brazil has been booed heavily.

So why didn't Fred and Jo get booed?

LOL. Hilarious.

Typical Germans. Brilliant flick by Schürrle.

Guest The Magnificent 7

I still can't figure out if Suarez is apologizing for biting Chiellini or not.  Still kinda rings like sorry your shoulder bumped my choppers and you suffered the physical effects of your shoulder bumping them.

Guest Edwin

I still can't figure out if Suarez is apologizing for biting Chiellini or not.  Still kinda rings like sorry your shoulder bumped my choppers and you suffered the physical effects of your shoulder bumping them.

That's exactly what he's claiming.

I think a lot of it has to do with fitness/dietary theory becoming a more global standardized thing. There was a time Arsene Wenger was "revolutionizing" English football by having a nutritionist on his staff. Now I think the athletic gap has closed up a lot so you're left with a thinner margin of skill to separate the good from the bad.

Guest Edwin

Here's a report from German newspaper Der Spiegel that says Cameroon 0-4 loss to Croatia was rigged: http://www.spiegel.de/sport/fussball/wm-2014-wettpate-perumal-spricht-von-betrug-bei-kamerun-spielen-a-978091.html

Apparently some online betting scammer from Singapore posted on his Facebook page a couple of hours before the game that Croatia would win by 4 goals and that a player from Cameroon would get sent off in the first half and Alex Song was sent off.

It hasn't been proven that the game was rigged, but there's an ongoing investigation about the situation.

Gf´s laptop´s touchpad f´ed me over on the long analytical text, short version:

The good
+ team fought their way into a tough game and showed spirit, something they often lacked in recent past

+ we have quite a few players who can be brought on as suber subs and who actually work as such

+ Once Lahm was at right wing and complementing Schuerrle their, we actually had one wing and it created a tremendous amount of good attacks.

+ Manuel Neuer was fantastic

The bad
o the turnovers in midfield especially in the first 45 were horrendous

o weird and unprecise passes back when you have numerous Algerians pressuring the German team
o Mustafi´s injury. It might help us, bhut it´s a shame when your tournament ends on a stretcher

o Getting countered very very late in the game after your own corner

The ugly
- Centerbacks make for damned ugly fullbacks

- Toni Kroos and Mario Goetze as starters in their respective forms are unbearable

- the first 45 minutes showing why Germany isn´t a real contender in 2014. You shouldn´t play like that in the group stages of any tournament, you damned sure can´t in the KO-stages of the World Cup. I can´t even justify this as the "wake up call" match, because we already had that in the group against Ghana. I hate sounding like a broken record, but give us attackers on the wings, put Schweinsteiger and Khedira at CDM, bench Kroos and Goetze, let Oezil a decently fast playmaker instead of a way too slow winger and but Lahm and Durm at fullback positions. Hell, if you don´t want play Durm for whatever reason, put Boateng in that spot. There´s no way it will be worse than Hoewedes. I´m really not trying to knock the guy, I feel bad and sorry for him, but it is how it is.