DVDVR Message Board

What is stopping former fans from watching WWE?

Niners Fan in CT

How long have guys like Cena and Orton been on top compared to Austin and the Rock? It's basically the same people on top as the "faces" of the promotion. They added Punk into the mix, but he's been there for years now, and they're adding Bryan into the mix, but they've still got plenty of time to screw him up. They may not, but it's possible, is what I'm saying.

Other characters: Nexus: great introduction, flawed follow-through; Ziggler's been there for a while, but they can't figure out how to really get him into that top group; the Shield: I thought they would break through, but something's veered off course. It's probably not too late with them, but the WWE needs more new faces at the top sooner rather than later. Even HHH won't go away - the WWE needs to make a clean break from the HHH/McMahon follies days and start finding a way to make new stars.

I suggest the WWE sign Freight Train from 5 Dollar Wrestling and start having him do 20-minute promos on Raw. Actually, I'm totally kidding, but I'd watch it. For about 10 minutes. Maybe. 

True, true, but for example, the Cena vs. Umaga Last Man Standing match was fairly deep into Cena's tenure as a top guy and that was in January 2007. 

Austin was forced to retire, Rock went to bigger and better things. Orton and Cena are healthier and have nowhere else to go. You can't compare them to anyone else because even the previous generations didn't have the chance or the desire to stick around forever.

• Like 1

When people here refer to "former fans" I'm assuming they mean people from the Attitude Era and those people are by and large never ever going to come back because they weren't actually wrestling fans. They just watched it because it was the hottest thing in the world at that time and no amount of awesome wrestling matches are going to draw them back in because that isn't what they saw every Monday on Raw. If WWE went back to doing shit the way they did it in 1999 this board would have a fucking meltdown in every show thread. I sure as fuck don't want to go back to that period, everything not involving a big name or main eventer is horribly embarrassing. I can gladly go the rest of my pro wrestling watching life without ever hearing Michael Cole discuss Val Venis' "latest film" on commentary again.

When WWF was at one of it's lowest points and near collapse in '94/'95, right before the Attitude Boom, were there people wondering what they'd have to do to get back to "what it was like during the Rock N Wrestling era"? This was right before I got online, but I know there was already the beginnings of the "IWC" being formed. What was the feeling then? Was there this much nitpicking about the characters and comparison to the generation before?

There were also other viable options at the time. ECW, WCW, various high-end indies. WWE would even let their guys do the occasional indy while contracted. I remember sometime in the mid late 90s, Foley and Blue Meanie were tag champs in some east coast company.

• Like 1

When people here refer to "former fans" I'm assuming they mean people from the Attitude Era and those people are by and large never ever going to come back because they weren't actually wrestling fans. They just watched it because it was the hottest thing in the world at that time and no amount of awesome wrestling matches are going to draw them back in because that isn't what they saw every Monday on Raw. If WWE went back to doing shit the way they did it in 1999 this board would have a fucking meltdown in every show thread. I sure as fuck don't want to go back to that period, everything not involving a big name or main eventer is horribly embarrassing. I can gladly go the rest of my pro wrestling watching life without ever hearing Michael Cole discuss Val Venis' "latest film" on commentary again.

This is pretty spot on. Attitude fans would chant boring anytime a headlock lasted longer than 30 seconds.

I stopped watching WWE when ECW and WCW died. I got pissed off at Vince for finally killing all of the competition. I do watch 24/7 for the TV Classics and pre-Hogan Garden shows.

I'm just happy for all of the Spanish language wrestling on cable the last few years.