DVDVR Message Board

DVDVRMM: ELITE EIGHT - HARPER vs. GOLDUST

LUKE HARPER vs. GOLDUST  

130 members have voted

1. 1. This might hurt a little.

Harper has been arguably the biggest reason for the success of the Wyatts

I'd love to hear this argument. I like Harper, but saying his ringwork was more important than Bray's promos/the entrance/the gimmick itself seems pretty bold.

I don't want to put words in Cristobal's mouth, but I think what he is saying is that gimmicks like the Wyatt Family tend to fail if someone isn't performing in the ring and sustaining the success of the stable. Without Harper to be a true workhorse, the Wyatts would've started to suffer from diminishing returns already.

JRG's got the right of it.

The gimmick is intriguing.

The entrance is entrancing.

Bray's promos are spellbinding.

And all of it would have been for nothing if the group couldn't count on Harper to go out there any carry the load in the ring from the first day "We're Here" turned into actual matches. Rowan and Wyatt have both come along nicely, but Harper was the one who turned that gimmick into a reality by hitting such an absolutely pitch-perfect note in the ring. More than just being a good wrestler, he was a good wrestler who didn't so much look like a "good wrestler", as he did a half-crazed swamp monster who can't tell the difference between a toehold and toe jam but will clubber the fuck out of you for His Own Personal Jesus sitting ringside.

Luke Harper is fucking awesome.  Love every thing he does, pretty much.  Great work in tags and singles, was easily the best Wyatt in the two absurdly awesome matches with The Shield, etc etc....

This is Goldust and it damn sure isn't close in my mind.

JRG's got the right of it.

The gimmick is intriguing.

The entrance is entrancing.

Bray's promos are spellbinding.

And all of it would have been for nothing if the group couldn't count on Harper to go out there any carry the load in the ring from the first day "We're Here" turned into actual matches. Rowan and Wyatt have both come along nicely, but Harper was the one who turned that gimmick into a reality by hitting such an absolutely pitch-perfect note in the ring. More than just being a good wrestler, he was a good wrestler who didn't so much look like a "good wrestler", as he did a half-crazed swamp monster who can't tell the difference between a toehold and toe jam but will clubber the fuck out of you for His Own Personal Jesus sitting ringside.

This this and more this.

I get why Goldust is winning, but it's Harper in a walk for me.

Oh, and to continue a discussion from the last Harper thread, I had a revelation on Harper that makes him doing more advanced moves make perfect sense: He's been in the E for 6 months now, in NXT for what, 2 years or so? It's been established he's not a simpleton: He might believe in questionable causes, but he has at least a decent intellect. Assuming this is a dude who never watched wrestling, or even owned a TV, these moves like "Dropkicks" and "Suicide Dives" were foreign to him until he started wrestling. At some point, wouldn't the wild crazy cult member kinda start going "Huh, I wonder what would happen if I tried that stuff these guys keep using on me"