DVDVR Message Board

Malaysia Airlines Flight 370

RonL21

You forgot that most miltaries of the world are also actively hunting down Al-Qaeda senior leadership.  They are running short on planners as well as operatives.

My point was more about groups that use suicide tactics in general. Their ability to recruit those willing to conduct such attacks has greatly diminished over the past 10 years. Rushdie has made this point several times of late.

It would actually be disasterous if this turned out to be a terrorist plan against China because they would most certainly crack down on the usual suspects such as the Uighur minority in China. There's already been one major incident involving them and the Hans.  I don't know if I want Beijing having more justification to become even more repressive than usual.  I'm not even sure if that is possible.

It can ALWAYS get worse.

This would be true if access to jumbo jets were the only part of the equation and certainly there are other factors to consider and (if this were a terroist attack) if Malaysia had the perfect toxic stew of conditions (logistics, sympathizers, etc) then that capability may be gone now if a full-blown investigation kicks off the Pan-Asian War on Terrorism. 

Terrorism is all about opportunity as well as violence.  If you'te not making good on your threats, you're losing credibililty and time.  Sooner or later, your plan has to turn into action even if the results are not exactly optimal.

Agreed. But again, the results of a downed airliner versus a 9/11-type style of attack are night and day. If whatever group thinks they can try again and be successful this time around, they may be more patient than we’d give them credit for.

Under the assumption that this incident prima facea wasn't the attack itself.  If it was, it was very successful so why not claim credit for it. 

Well, if we’re going to assume that this was, in fact, a terrorist plot, regardless of the targets, the fact that no group has taken credit for it yet, leads one to believe that simply destroying the plane wasn’t the result intended.

Over two hundred people gone in the blink of an eye and no one knows why and (if this was terrorism) what weapon was used. 

If I were a terrorist with, say, access to stolen Syrian chems or the alleged Iraqui bio-weapons or smuggled Bratva plutionium and use either on the passengers of this plane, I'd send a DVD to every major news organization in the world, and I'd still have surprise on my side as no one would know who was with me or where I'd strike next.

IMO, if this is terrorist related, there’s only 2 logical possibilities at this point. Either 1) The plane was blown up midair via some device in the cargo area a la Lockerbie, or 2) The terrorists were on the actual plane, intended to use it as a weapon against some sort of target on land. If you assume that there wasn’t a device in the cargo area, and that the attackers were on board, the second scenario is more likely, because if you have control of an airplane, why would you crash it into the ocean and leave it a mystery as to what happened to it? It makes zero sense. The only logical conclusion is that their plans were thwarted by someone or something.

Beginning to consider the theory that the Malaysian government, or maybe the Chinese, realized the plane had been hijacked and shot it down to prevent another 9/11. And now they can't come out and say it.

Of course, that doesn't explain why they don't have a better cover story than "vanished mysteriously without a trace." 

To hit a single target? Yes. But in 2014, the chances that China accidently shot it down mistaking it for an enemy target is about as likely as these people still being alive. If they shot it down on purpose, they would've come out and said it, no one could reasonably blame them for such a maneuver if it was the case.

Yeah.  Even if everyone understands why something like that could happen, that doesn't mean anyone would want to deal with the fallout from it.  Especially if most are still thinking the plane had mechanical failure and went down on its own.

And at this point they're screwed even if they do admit it, because they've still wasted almost a week, prolonged the pain of the family members and had countries all around the world sending in resources to help.

It's China: The whole "greater good for greatest number of people" is pretty much accepted dogma amongst the populace. The only fall out from that, had China actually shot the plane down, would be from the Malaysian government; small fish compared to them.

Plus, the Malaysian Prime Minister can be dealt with rather easily. 

• Like 1

I would dearly love to think they landed the plane in some remote island and the passengers are now doing everything to get themselves rescued while investigating their new, mysterious surroundings, like some Asian version of Lost.

But, yeah. Reality.

Anderson Cooper discussing possible hijacking. Former government officials on CNN saying "it's possible to have landed the plane in that part of the world without anyone noticing and or reporting on it"

I doubt that's what happened but what a story if it did..

Someone on Twitter mentioned the Coco Islands as a destination for a plane.  I'm not saying I buy into that theory, but it *could* work.  They're between the Bay of Bengal and the Andaman Sea, with Burma being the closest country.  It would be far enough away from India who would have the technology to pick up anything

suspicious.

It may explain why the US kept saying that hijacking wasn't off the table.

But  why would they do that, though? And where's the ransom demand?

Also, it's been said, but a big part of the whole terrorism cause is getting as much publicity as possible. If they were going to come out and make demands, now would be the time. The world is watching.