DVDVR Message Board

Malaysia Airlines Flight 370

RonL21

Saw on the news while leaving work this morning that they thought they found some spilled jet fuel in the ocean near where it was last seen on radar. It's a really messed up situation, and yet another hurdle in getting my wife back on a plane.

I feel bad for all of the families involved, but all I can ever think of when I see stories like this is LOST.

And now I just realized that the LOST title used Arial for its font.

Anyway, moving on, this also reminds me a lot of the flight that was bound for France or departed from France that was lost for awhile. 

On its way to France.  That one went down because of weather, and they found the wreckage the next day floating in the ocean.   (Interesting side note, one of the victims was the crown prince-in-exile of the Empire of Brazil)

The fact they didn't call for help is extremely troubling.  As is the supposed two passengers who boarded with fake passports... who CNN is reporting now were bought by a man in Iran.

It's weird when you're actually hoping the plane got hijacked and they flew somewhere because that means at least the people are still alive.

All the conspiracy and supernatural theories are just too weird to think about.

On its way to France.  That one went down because of weather, and they found the wreckage the next day floating in the ocean.   (Interesting side note, one of the victims was the crown prince-in-exile of the Empire of Brazil)

The fact they didn't call for help is extremely troubling.  As is the supposed two passengers who boarded with fake passports... who CNN is reporting now were bought by a man in Iran.

I think the fake passport thing is just a coincidence. Not sure Malaysian/Chinese passangers are going to be a target for middle-eastern terrorists; wouldn't they be more likely to target Europeans or Americans? At least, that's how it's been in the past.

Though weather played a small part, that crash was caused by a combination of malfunction and pilot error - http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/9231855/Air-France-Flight-447-Damn-it-were-going-to-crash.html

I think the fake passport thing is just a coincidence. Not sure Malaysian/Chinese passangers are going to be a target for middle-eastern terrorists; wouldn't they be more likely to target Europeans or Americans? At least, that's how it's been in the past.

It's looking highly unlikely that there was any terrorist involvement here. Nobody has come forward claiming responsibility for the crash. What's the use of committing a terrorist act if you can't triumph politically from it? Stolen passports are very common when it comes to illegal immigration, and that's most certainly what was going on with those two passengers.

By the way, Southeast Asia has plenty of issues with Islamic terrorism.

Seems to me that it sounds like some sort of massive electrical failure on the plane, or something along those lines. That would explain why there was no radio report of being any trouble before the plane vanished, and most likely crashed into the ocean.

One would hope that's not the case but... yeah. Commercial flights don't just go "missing".

China not so much, but everything South and East of Vietnam has a LOT of terrorist activity. No one claiming responsibility yet doesn't mean much, we're only a few days removed. If I were a betting man, there's a majority of my chips on "mid air explosion." Even if it was an electric failure, I believe radio communications would still work as their power source is independent from the rest of the plane.

Conspiracy theorists are going nuts with this story.

I'll cut them some slack, in that debris from a plane crash usually has surfaced by now.  That was the case with the Air France plane.  Of course, if the plane had massive failure and the pilot was trying to return, he may have veered 80-100 miles off course and then the plane exploded.  Which means the search teams aren't looking in the right place.

That and the cell phone thing. That's how the whole terrorists hijacked the plane and landed it at an airport in Vietnam theory got started. Family members have called the cellphones of some that were on board and the phones ring which may indicate the phones are not destroyed.

The rogue passengers could be a terrible coincidence.  Millions of passports are stolen/lost every year and some find their way into sketchy hands.  But that someone booked two tickets at the last minute for these guys doesn't help matters.

If they don't find wreckage/debris in a couple more days, then I'm not sure what to think.

Out of interest: does anyone know just how many of the phones are ringing? Are we talking loads of people? I heard about one, but just chalked it down to someone leaving their phone behind. A plane of 250 people, it's bound to happen. But if it's happening to several or even everyone, that is very odd.

I would think the cell phones would be dead by now, if they werent destroyed. Just how plausible is it that the plane was hijacked and landed at some makeshift airport and a government not be in on it? They would have to have some tech guru to disable all the radar and instruments and then have a pilot good enough to fly just on vision, which would make sense since this happened at night and the stars can be used to track location. If they don't find anything by Friday I think I may lean toward them being alive somewhere. They did say the plane had 7 1/2 hours of fuel

Terrorist organizations are quick to take credit for stuff like this but even they are shrugging their shoulders.

I feel bad for all of the families involved, but all I can ever think of when I see stories like this is LOST.

There are even criminals on board.

I hope the hijacking thing is true, but then it's like, well, where are the terrorists' demands?

And now one of the passengers who got on with a fake passport is a 19 year old Iranian dude who wanted to go to Germany via Beijing.

As you do.

This story gets weirder and weirder. Malaysian CAA are moving far too slow on this. Why is there nothing being heard about the black box, either?

Yeah, heard that the Iranian fake passport stuff was at least one guy trying to defect to Germany, so that's that.  Malaysia has officially asked us for help now, and we're sending two destroyers with search kit along with a couple AWACS, with an expanded search area over its last known trajectory accounting for how much fuel it had aboard.

They'll find it, just a matter of where.

Yeah, I would tend to think it was just a catastrophic failure of the plane.  The two passengers traveling on stolen passports seems unrelated. 

I don't suspect terrorists since:

1. No one has claimed responsibility and,
  2. The amount of explosives needed to destroy a Triple 7 in mid-air would be astronomical.

You'd have to be in a position with a huge bomb to take out the cabin immediately in order for it to go dark like that so suddenly. 

Seems more likely that massive circuit failure of most of the systems caused the plane to go down.  If their transponder shorted out first, there is no telling how far they traveled or in which direction before the plane finally crashed.

• Like 1