DVDVR Message Board

Banging the head that does not bang

Curt McGirt

I think it was the third or fourth I ever owned; my folks bought me the CD for Xmas. Why I STILL DON'T have it on vinyl is a complete mystery to me. Hell, the other day I was gonna splurge and buy some obscenely priced reissue of it at my friend's record store, just because he's closing up shop, but it was already sold.

It's worth it just for the first 3 minutes or so of weird people wanderin' around, shouting. 

"UPSTATE, MUTHAFUCKA!!!" Plus the clearly not very white guy doing the Nazi salute and the random bum indulging in the chaos. What an amazing piece of film. 

In sadder news, Jim Konya (AKA Jim Sadist/Lasagna/etc.) from Nunslaughter/Nine Shocks Terror/a bunch of other bands has suffered two severe strokes and is pretty much gonna be a vegetable unless he has a DNR designation, I imagine. He is/was one of the funniest people I've ever encountered and drummed at the first three shows I ever saw live. Being the pessimist I am I don't see much hope for him, but just so you know, he's a giant of the metal scene and someone who deserves any thoughts you can give him right now.

Now to lighten the mood a bit, here's a video:

Jim's the guy at the water fountain. 

Life is a fucking asshole.

• 2 weeks later...

I've came across a few interesting things the last week: a Coca-Cola cover pressing of Rocka Rolla by Judas Priest for $6 (!!! I know what to do if I ever run into financial troubles again), an original copy of Necroticism by Carcass that I threw a buddy $25 for because it was definitely worth it in the condition it was in and considering it was on blue wax, but for $2 I got Thundersteel by Riot on tape and I'd have to do a roll of the dice to decide which of the three was a better purchase, honestly. One of the best power metal songs ever: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzg06sKt4_I

EDIT: Oh, I'm also going to see Autopsy/Incantation/Cardiac Arrest/Disinter/Wrist in Chicago tomorrow. Might have to sell Rocka Rolla sooner than I thought

EDIT II: This post makes me believe I am truly turning into Record Collector Scum but then I realize I'm too much of a cheap-ass and not enough of a worshipper of rarities.

• 2 weeks later...

Hell's Headbangers has a pretty ridiculous sale going on where you can get three LPs for $16.66, and the three albums they reissued on vinyl from my boys in October 31 happened to be on the list, so I jumped at it and purchased them today for one Andrew Jackson total. Technically it's five LPs and all are colored too (!) for $5.55 a sleeve, basically, so I hit the jackpot. Anyway, if you haven't heard them before, it's King from Deceased's traditional metal project; they've been kicking around for years now with various lineup changes. They started off fairly doomy early on then worked more of a classic/thrashy sound into the mix and every album is a stone classic IMO. Cause it's Halloween, here's one of their earliest. 

EDIT: Whoops, that one's live. Well it's always fun watching King and co. onstage so I'll leave that. Here's the studio track. 

While I'm at it I have to give a nod to the new one from Ares Kingdom which was certainly worth the wait. These guys are ex-Order from Chaos/Vulpecula and work some serious magic. I can't think of a single other band that sounds like them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rabGXDmGyY

I listened to Magic Circle's s/t debut a couple years (?) ago. It was a great litmus test record because people that don't know what they are talking about called it a Black Sabbath knock off, when it is basically a note-for-note knock off of Pagan Altar's s/t, which is fine with me. They're fun. If you like that sound, you'll like them.

That cover art is fabulous.

Thank you for reminding me that my dumb ass still doesn't have any Pagan Altar. Time to relieve that.

Speaking of things I forgot about, there have been numerous members of this band in October 31. And this song is flat-out killer. 

And so is this one (RIP Tony Taylor)

EDIT: Yeah I'm a complete fool. Pagan Altar hits the obscure doom bone in me bigtime and if I didn't know who they were you could tell me they were some Italian band from the '80s and I would totally believe you. Definitely in the Death SS/Paul Chain/Black Hole realm, especially with those vocals. Shit, with the uptempo work, they sound just like Dark Quarterer!

I get why people dislike Pagan Altar's oroginal s/t because it was recorded in a garage and the vocals kind of sound like the world's most talented mosquito, but in a sense that's actually why I love that album. It's just pure garage noise from guys doing what they love doing.

Keep it pure (in any style) and I'm happy.

• Like 1

I personally prefer cheap production and bizarre, nearly annoying vocals so it's totally in my wheelhouse. Speaking of which...

This album is so good. Think a doomier early Manowar... or Pagan Altar.

EDIT: Actually the production is pretty solid. I have a vinyl rip of this I got off Soulseek and the bass sound is tremendous.

GtTvD85.jpg

Magic Circle is a great old-school doom metal band from Boston and their second album, "Journey Blind", is coming out on Nov 20. You can listen to the first two tracks on the front page of their site here.

First album was a great combination of Pagan Altar riffs and Too vox.