DVDVR Message Board

Banging the head that does not bang

Curt McGirt

6 hours ago, Lawful Metal said:

a billion stars 

Hmmm they might have something here. I listened to that Ecdysis album ages ago because 20 Buck Spin had it for sale and it had really good art, but don't remember it hitting me at all. I certainly believe Evil Chuck would approve, though this is far less proggy. 

https://horrendous.bandcamp.com/album/ontological-mysterium

EDIT: Well... maybe not "far less" proggy, let's go with "slightly"

EDIT II: Okay scrap all that, this is late-'90s Death Redux

Edited by Curt McGirt

46 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Hmmm they might have something here. I listened to that Ecdysis album ages ago because 20 Buck Spin had it for sale and it had really good art, but don't remember it hitting me at all. I certainly believe Evil Chuck would approve, though this is far less proggy. 

https://horrendous.bandcamp.com/album/ontological-mysterium

EDIT: Well... maybe not "far less" proggy, let's go with "slightly"

EDIT II: Okay scrap all that, this is late-'90s Death Redux

It’s fucking great but I’m also on vacation and no one wants to listen to Horrendous with me 

• Sad 1

1) my buddy just sent me the new Babymetal and while it isn't my cup of tea, fuck if it's not an earworm. Why isn't Shida or Asuka kicking people in the head to this on TV yet?!

2) I took my old man to time square to see Glenn Hughes and Yngwie Malmsteen last night and had a shockingly good time. Hughes' voice sounds unbelievable for a man of any age. I kept looking for signs of skulduggery but didn't detect. Yngwie was Yngwie - I heard Rising Force, Far Beyond The Sun, and a few others I recognized. Def worth the $35 if it comes near you.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/1/2023 at 2:58 AM, zendragon said:

Geezer Butler's autobiography is really good if a little lighter than Ozzy and Tony's books. Very forth coming about various tensions in the band

Good look, I didn't know that was out - definitely going on my reading list.

Came here to sing the praises of the new Baroness - about three songs in and enjoying it just as much as purple so far

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath
quick addendum: it does get a little weirder deeper in but it started hot
  • Like 1

came upon this awesome cover of In the Meantime by Pig Destroyer:

And it made me go back to listen to Meantime by Helmet in its entirety.  What a fucking blast.  Of course, other than this album I've never really liked Helmet (especially the new new stuff).  True lightning in a bottle (aside from "Milktoast" from the Crow soundtrack -- which is so much better than "Milquetoast" which was on Betty.).  I don't remember what we considered this album back in 1992 -- was post-hardcore a thing then?  Feels like it's a post-hardcore classic, but I don't even with these labels these days. 

I remember losing my shit back to back with this and Quicksand's Slip and Manic Compression.  I need to make a new playlist of that particular sound.  Who did I miss?

Bonus:

• Like 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2BgiTICRfA

Spoiler

fjkl;dsxn t3k4tu io; gadfjkl;fdikl;e GODDAMMIT FIX THE FUCKING BOARD AND LET ME POST YOUTUBE LINKS THAT SHOW A PICTURE.

Okay, now that THAT's out of my system...

I've gotten a couple things in the mail recently (Tormentor - Anno Domini, Bloody Vengeance - Ruido de Guerra, Dead Infection - A Chapter of Accidents, Morbid Saint - Spectrum of Death) and along with Rotting Christ - Triarchy of the Lost Lovers just ordered this. Great death/grind (I'd call it more grind-flavored death than death-flavored grind?) from vittu Suomi. Their earlier LP wasn't quite as quality but this one hits the spot quite well. 

Speaking of grindcore, Gridlink's new album, Coronet Juniper, came out last Fridee. 

It rules, of course, but damn, this record is DENSE. I'm a few listens in and I'm still processing it. 

I got tickets to see them at St. Vitus in NYC next month. I had to bail on the shows they did earlier this year because I lost my job, BUT I REFUSE TO BE DENIED THIS TIME. IT IS FUCKING HAPPENING. 

• Like 1

EDIT: I just realized you meant St. Vitus the venue not Saint Vitus THE BAND; I am stupid. So here's some unrelated stories.

Spoiler

DO EEEEEET. I was out of work when I saw them and made the trek alone, detoxing from booze, with no place to stay in another state and it was worth it. I could have reached out and touched Dave Chandler. The opening band? The Skull, with Trouble members including the late great Eric Wagner. They played "Assassin". I lost it. 

A couple years later I saw the Skull again in the same venue, late pandemic when things were wrapping up but the shows were outside, not only right before Eric passed but the headliner was -- go figure -- the Obsessed. Wino is really short in real life. They played "Sodden Jackal". I lost it. 

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Curt McGirt said:

EDIT: I just realized you meant St. Vitus the venue not Saint Vitus THE BAND; I am stupid. So here's some unrelated stories.

Reveal hidden contents

DO EEEEEET. I was out of work when I saw them and made the trek alone, detoxing from booze, with no place to stay in another state and it was worth it. I could have reached out and touched Dave Chandler. The opening band? The Skull, with Trouble members including the late great Eric Wagner. They played "Assassin". I lost it. 

A couple years later I saw the Skull again in the same venue, late pandemic when things were wrapping up but the shows were outside, not only right before Eric passed but the headliner was -- go figure -- the Obsessed. Wino is really short in real life. They played "Sodden Jackal". I lost it. 

Adds an extra step when you're looking for Saint Vitus live gigs on YouTube.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It's disappointing but man they're old. They ain't coming to Chicago so there's no chance I'll ever see em. It'll be the same feeling I get not having seen Manilla Road before Mark the Shark passed away. At the very least we have the new album coming out and they'll still be recording, I bet (and are as good as ever). 

• Like 2

Forever Black, and I got it. Half Past Human EP from 2021 is stellar too, and the Witch's Game EP which I unfortunately don't have a copy of. I need to get that before prices go through the roof. All I don't have of theirs is the live album from a couple years back, odds and ends like the box set, and a copy of the Servants of Chaos comp which has some awesome demo stuff on it. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkauX9q_N4Y&ab_channel=CirithUngol-Topic

This version of "100 MPH" smokes the later one, btw. D-Beat for the win! 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUhIKquwEo0&ab_channel=CirithUngol-Topic

• Like 1