DVDVR Message Board

Banging the head that does not bang

Curt McGirt

• 2 weeks later...

I was in a black metal mood today so I went to find Weakling's "Dead as Dreams." It's not streaming anywhere! I like Spotify for what it is but there's a lot of niche metal that isn't there. Ended up settling for Leviathan and Xasthur to close up the restaurant.

9 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Huh? It's right here. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnjH-ZYe59c

Spotify sucks.

I meant Bandcamp, Spotify, etc. For some reason my phone doesn't like YouTube over Bluetooth so it limits my options. 

I decided to get out some Darkthrone today. I haven't listened to "Transylvanian Hunger" since college. Still good. 

• Like 1

On 3/1/2024 at 10:57 AM, RazorbladeKiss87 said:

New record from Misotheist. Pretty sick black metal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xe9qdDNPXww

I for one am almost glad to encounter a black metal band with no real prior band/band member media presence because I just got burned by finding out Diocletian were a bunch of Nazis after I already bought a tape of one of their records. And this is after I made a public declaration of no confidence in Hell's Headbangers for half their current distro being NS/WP bands these days, incurring a long argument from a concern troll who wouldn't let it go. 

14 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

I just got burned by finding out Diocletian were a bunch of Nazis after I already bought a tape of one of their records.

I'm taking your info to my local Antifa Headquarters.

You'll be getting a strongly worded letter about your financial support.

• Haha 2

They can have the $10-12 bucks I spent back if they really want it, buy 'em a cheap meal somewheres. (I would like some free literature, stickers, and an Antifascista Alerta flag for my wall with that, please.)

This is fun; an old buddy of mine sent me a link to an anarcho-Communist black metal sub-Reddit that had this posted in it. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vSfnVZGsyxn5eEacXKJZk3-_ql3bQAkPqzdc8p3fCdxtPS9BtvNlj0yjskUQyy3eDYBL9yYTqbba_5q/pubhtml It's a 'sketch list' of bands in black metal and some associated bands and labels, listed by politics and why. One band getting the thumbs up for having "Vocalist influenced by Klezmer music" gave me a chuckle.

4 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

I for one am almost glad to encounter a black metal band with no real prior band/band member media presence because I just got burned by finding out Diocletian were a bunch of Nazis after I already bought a tape of one of their records. And this is after I made a public declaration of no confidence in Hell's Headbangers for half their current distro being NS/WP bands these days, incurring a long argument from a concern troll who wouldn't let it go. 

Yeaaaa. I hate hearing a record and loving it only to jump on Encyclopedia Metalum and see their themes are sketchy as hell. Hell's Headbangers is a label/distro I supported for a while but I can't really anymore. 

Posted (edited)

It really pisses me off. Deceased (who I've had history with since I was 18), Cianide, Nunslaughter, Witchtrap, and other HHR affiliated bands are among my very tippy-top favorites ever and I can't NOT support them. Yet here is dumb-ass Justin selling some band called Waffen SS and their album The New Wave of White Power because even if he thinks it's stupid, it sells, filling both their coffers. I consider it collaboration. 

I've been using Metallum to try and knock off some of these potential problems, the band Kill is a good example, but it doesn't work every time. So that list might help. 

EDIT: Yuck, sorry, can't do Accept without Udo. That just don't play. 

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, zendragon said:

I've seen Tom G. do that twice

Lucky! He should just rename them Dawn of Megiddo or something and start covering the rest of Frost up til Pandemonium, and then only what, like "Inner Sanctum" and "Babylon Fell"? Then Triptykon can only cover Monotheist and the other songs off Pandemonium. Or just do a hard cut and make it Hellhammer to Therion/Pandemonium to Triptykon.