DVDVR Message Board

General Lucha Libre Comments

Robert

I'm not too thrilled about the non-AAA wrestlers in that tournament. Really, right now its just the AAA Dream Team that has me considering ordering the iPPV, but its 50-50. I might save my money to go watch Rush vs. Cage live if that really happens.

My initial thought was that it'd be made up of guys from the "new format" Saturday Arena Coliseo shows, with the singles matches, but I guess I had read those wrong as most of the guys from this last week were fairly established if lower-card. 

When they first announced the Sabado Populares shows at Arena Coliseo, they had mentioned using new talent on the shows, but they nixed that rather quickly and just went with the lower card guys who've been around.  I dont think they've debuted anyone new.  Really only relatively new guy on DF shows might be Esfinge from GDL. It might be the lower card guys this year, but I would imagine we might know more tomorrow on CMLL Informa...or not. Its CMLL, who the heck knows.

So I made my monthly pilgrimage to Lucha Britannia last night, where pale English people play at being luchadors. It's a massively fun show but anyway. Who should turn up in the main event? JUVENTUD GUERRERA. This is a show in a tiny coverted railway arch, in front of 200 people (no seats, all standing, up against the ring). He worked the first half of the match in his mask, and then just took it off. He also bled hardway at the end. I afeared I might have gotten some of his bodily fluids on me but luckily I survived that biohazard. Anyway, it was pretty awesome.

He had some belt with him, don't know what. And in the main event, which was a three-way, after champion Santeria had pinned Pure Britannico to keep his title, Juvi pinned Santeria and nobody was expecting it. We pretended it was for the belt he brought with him. Also, at the end, he put the promoter over big time and said he was starting a TV show in Mexico soon and would make sure the Lucha Britannia guys were involved. I've never seen 200 people collectively roll their eyes.

He had some belt with him, don't know what. And in the main event, which was a three-way, after champion Santeria had pinned Pure Britannico to keep his title, Juvi pinned Santeria and nobody was expecting it. We pretended it was for the belt he brought with him. Also, at the end, he put the promoter over big time and said he was starting a TV show in Mexico soon and would make sure the Lucha Britannia guys were involved. I've never seen 200 people collectively roll their eyes.

Lucha Deep Underground

I tell you what... I am 3 matches into this CaraLucha Anniversary Show and so far it's 3 for 3. This is without getting to Rush/Hechicero or Volador/Titan vs Flamita/Bestia yet! Strong show of the year contender. 4 for 4 if you count the opener which had awesome highlights by +Lucha TV but probably won't be available in full.

I was looking at a Friday Night Arena Mexico card from 2002 and this apparently did not make TV:

3) FelinoNegro CasasVirus b Blue PantherFuerza GuerreraJuventud Guerrera

Life isn't fair.

EDIT: they ran a whole Virus vs Juvi feud. Do we really have none of those singles matches? Come on.

This was the match where Juvi turned on him: 

Lucha isn't fair.

I don't think they did a Virus/Juvi match. They did Virus/Fuerza and it aired on TV either JIP or heavily edited.

CMLL TV back then was about as awful as it is today. Top 2 matches, heavily edited.

I don't think they did a Virus/Juvi match. They did Virus/Fuerza and it aired on TV either JIP or heavily edited.

CMLL TV back then was about as awful as it is today. Top 2 matches, heavily edited.

Match finder has:

2002-10-18 Arena México

3 of 6: Juventud Guerrera b Virus

I thought that might be the Fuerza match, just with a mistake but that happened a couple of months earlier apparently.

2002-08-30 Arena México 4 of 6: Fuerza Guerrera b Virus *