DVDVR Message Board

A SAINTS ROW THREAD

RIPPA

On 4/30/2016 at 11:08 AM, Cliff Hanger said:

You can save it, get reassigned, score with all the dudes and switch back to your saved settings, IIRC.  (It's been a while.)

Yeah, I uploaded my guy to the SR Cloud. 

I had to do it twice since SR4 ignores SR3 and I had to re-crate my African American psycho from scratch.  I had to get my new SR4 guy inked up at Rusty's before re-upping him to the Character Zone.

I was tempted to build a white guy and give him Nolan North's voice, but OCD continuity prevailed..

I liked the nod to The Matrix where I rejected the simulation built on niceness.

At first I drove around town in Adrian Pearce mode and then it dawned on me that SR really does not give a shit whether or not I kill cops or civilians.  If I smoke a lawman, all I need to do is dump the heat.

The best thing about the Nolan voice is that it isn't just him doing his stock character, it's HIM. He refers to himself in the 3rd person, and the default body to go with the voice in char creation looks fairly like him.

2 hours ago, J.T. said:

Why isn't the Nae Nae in my Compliments list?

Because it didn't become properly popular until after the game came out?

I played through the whole game before realising there was a way to listen to the radio without getting in a car. It's the one SR game where I have no idea what's on the soundtrack. I don't want to say any more because it would spoiler things for JT, but there's a tradition of character singalongs in Saint's Row games which has always been good in previous editions.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, AxB said:

Because it didn't become properly popular until after the game came out?

1. This is why we have DLC.

2. My sarcasm is that veiled?

I still have Watch Dogs in my muscle memory.  I am throwing punches when I want to sprint and jumping when I want to take cover because duh SR does not have a cover system.

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

SR doesn't need a cover system

I am still fairly early in the game where bullets still sting a bit so it is nice not to get shot too much.  It will get to the point where I won't even arm a weapon. 

When I bought all of my SR3 perks, I just used melee attacks and pro wrestling moves.

On 5/6/2016 at 7:34 PM, Tromatagon said:

Dude even in 3 it was about the wrestling moves.  

Getting shot sucks so I kept it real with traditional firepower until I went money farming and bought all of my resistances early. 

After that, I didn't even use guns.  No need to when you can fall from a ten story building and not die because you have 100% damage resistance.

SR4 Platinum would be both very hard (because of completing all those timed rifts that have to be gold'ed, and have little margin for error) and a tedious grind. SR3 however, you can Plat within a week of starting it.

Does Andrew still have his 360?

Because while I still have my 360 - I sold the game awhile ago. (Otherwise I would do it since I never touched the co-op stuff)

Does load-out matter? 

I hate the heavy pistol and have been using the quickshot as my primary sidearm.  When I need punch I just use the shotgun and I have an alien assault rifle.  I barely touch the heavy SMG.

I'm not at the point where money doesn't matter and my offensive super powers are a bit underwhelming, so I'd rather not burn credits on weapons I don't need to upgrade right now..  I'd rather spend creds on character upgrades and I prefer ROF when going John Woo so I'd probably use quickshots over heavies once I save enough creds and actually care about akimbo shooting..

I'm thrilled that it has been a while since I needed to use a car to get around the sim.

I am compelled to get at least a Silver Medal in Fight Club so I can call on the Genki Girls for support. Ultimately I want to get Gold so I can get that buff.

Load-out doesn't really matter at all. Before too long, you'll only be using guns to fill time while waiting for your powers to cool down. Like Mass Effect.

3 hours ago, AxB said:

Load-out doesn't really matter at all. Before too long, you'll only be using guns to fill time while waiting for your powers to cool down. Like Mass Effect.

Coolio.  So far, Creds are easy to make.  Whenever I am low after buying Abilities, I just spam Blazin' Easy and make 5K per Gold run with barely two minutes of time invested.

I was bummed that Kinzie did not join me in the chorus of Opposites Attract.  I am also bummed that the basic quickshot pistol model is not referred to as the Vice 9.

Guns are pretty much work on the same mechanics as SR3, so on second thought I will probably re-invest in the HPs once I can Chow Yun-Fat, since double firing .45 Sheps with the Explosive Ammo mods made endgame fights a lot easier in SR3 thanks to the stun and knockback effects.. 

Recoil shouldn't be an issue once I max out the dampener mods.

Took a gamer holiday while some work was being done on the house.  Got to put some work into the game.  Sim is about 54% hacked.

• I really suck at all forms of Rift.
  • There is no flying in Watch Dogs so thank God the aircraft control in SR is pretty simple.
  • You don't have to use weapons in On Foot Mayhem.  You can use your powers and still get combos.  I just ran around at super speed knocking cars into crowds and then blowing them up with my Dash Tornado.  Easy Gold medal for Hard difficulty.
  • MOTHER FUCKING ALIENS JUST ID4RED THE ENTIRE EARTH~!  RIP Oleg and Josh Burke.
  • The reward for doing all of Keith David's quests is a Rowdy Roddy Piper costume.  Nice.  Goes with all of the They Live! bullshit going on with the advertisements around town.
  • I cannot bromance Matt Miller without feeling icky so getting it on with Pierce & Gat as a guy is a no go.  I will have to build a female.
  • Asha is much cuter than Shaundi. 
  • Kinzie fucking punched me when I asked her to have sex.  At least she puts out and she ain't shy.
  • I can tell from the way the achievement is worded that my FemSaint will not get to bang Keith David.  I am bummed.
  • I hate the experimental tech weapons.  I wouldn't use them if there weren't an achievement involved.
  • Took me the longest time to figure out that I could use Blast to unstick clusters from walls.
  • TK Lightning is the best power ever.
  • They got rid of the Slavic voice in favor of a French accent for the Female model in the Character Generator.  I cannot rebuild my GI Joe Baroness clone from SR3.  Fuck.
  • They do have a Southern drawl, though.  Maybe I will build Daisy Duke?

I still have to rescue Ben King and Pierce in my BroSaint playthrough.

11 minutes ago, J.T. said:

You don't have to use weapons in On Foot Mayhem.  You can use your powers and still get combos.  I just ran around at super speed knocking cars into crowds and then blowing them up with my Dash Tornado.  Easy Gold medal for Hard difficulty.

How long did it take you to figure this out?

I think I was on my 2nd or 3rd one before I realized it. I was so happy yet so angry when I did.

On ‎5‎/‎23‎/‎2016 at 10:46 AM, RIPPA said:

How long did it take you to figure this out?

I think I was on my 2nd or 3rd one before I realized it. I was so happy yet so angry when I did.

I found out on my first try.  I used super sprint to avoid the cops and destroyed five cars and was like, "Hey, a combo!"

The thing that I am angry about is how long it took me to figure out that you can access Audio Logs and the Text Adventure files on the Ship.  I spent a lot of time exploring the sim and I barely know my way around the Saint-Nebuchadnezzar.

I built a FemSaint with the French accent.  The "No tip! I insist!" line for the Dollar Dandy compliment was the deciding factor.  The FemSaint I made still looks like my old Baroness clone only she wears purple tinted Cardinal Shades..  For her, I chose to end world hunger and punched the right wing senator in the junk.  I would've chosen to diss Josh Burke if I didn't already know he'd die when the earth gets blown up.

Air Dash / Glide is shit for scanning Sim-Steelport for collectables so I thank God for the Thompson helicopter from SR3 that still spawns on the helipad near Kinzie's warehouse.

I am a bit disappointed that the games definition of Side Quest is "Hey, go and do the activities that you are avoiding like the plague."  Store Hacking I can deal with.  Any form of Rift, not so much.  I thought there would be no activity or diversion I hated more than SR2 Heli Assault, but here is Rift and UFO Assault right here.

I beat down the Ronin with the Tentacle Sword during the Super Powered Fight Club featuring Jyunichi.  Flash Freeze + Melee = Gold medals.  Irony is Ironic.

I think I only need to unlock the Inflato-Ray and get 25 alien kills with it to finish this Experimental Tech bullshit achievement and then I can get a proper load-out with good ol' fashioned firearms.

My driving was so good in White Bread Steelport during my BroSaint playthrough that I did not notice that you can't go into oncoming traffic on purpose nor drive on the sidewalk and run people over.  I tried to kill a pedestrian on purpose in my FemSaint playthrough with my car but the Gunslinger auto-corrected itself..

My girlfriend is not thrilled that I gave French FemSaint a bikini / thong tan line.  It seemed like the right thing to do.

I also bought her the Manicured Nails from Planet Zin.