DVDVR Message Board

CFL Offseason Thread

DouglasC

Well the counter to that arguement is if the players want to share in the new revenues maybe they can share the debts too.  Its something that cant get too contentious or last too long because most of the owners are in this more for community sense and shits and giggles.  Hamilton has lost money every year since 1976.  Montreal loses money every year unless they get the Grey Cup.  Toronto forget about it.  The league offered to bump the salary cap $100,000 which is a joke.  I can see them raising it $500,000 a team 

From listening to 590 yesterday, there also seems to be a playet safety issue at work too.

Apparently players want an independent neurologist at eqch game for concussion issues and the cfl is balking.

From listening to 590 yesterday, there also seems to be a playet safety issue at work too.

Apparently players want an independent neurologist at eqch game for concussion issues and the cfl is balking.

Does the NFL even do that?  That issue is minimal and would be pulled in a hot second if the minimum pay rates are increased.  Smells like something they float out there because it is a hot button topic.  Someone has said they may take the $100,000 salary cap increase and do a short term agreement in the hopes that with the new building in Hamilton and the new building in Regina  and whatever nonsense they finally agree to in Toronto that the TV money and in stadium revenues will spike and they will be in a better position.  I think also they are trying to prove that they are a serious association since in the past they could never put any serious pressure on the owners since most of them are just happy to have a job.  Maybe this eventually will clear the way for revenue sharing among the teams which I am sure they will love in Regina

I was a little baffled by Edmonton taking no OL in the Canadian draft, but there's also been a massive amount of turnover there on the free agent/recruitment side of things and it will be pretty much a waste of time trying to judge things until probably week 3 of the season or so. Actually there's been a ton of turnover in general in Edmonton, but then again given how the last two years have gone I have no complaints about that at all.

Optimism? A little.

I really hope the strike talk turns out to just be negotiating bluster. What a fucking shame that would be if the league takes the last 5 years of momentum and blows it now.

I dont want to call the players greedy or anything like that because a lot of the salaries in the CFL are pathetic but the owners in Toronto, Hamilton, Montreal lose money every year.  BC and Toronto are going to have to scrounge up owners soon and in Toronto's case a place to play as well.  Despite this good fortune of the TV contract the CFL is a league constantly teetering on financial ruin.  I dont want to see this damage what has been a good few years for this league.  In the late 80's early 90's the CFL looked like it was ready to fold.  Hope this pissing match doesnt do it

A work stoppage will do a lot of harm no question. I would have once said no harm would come in Edmonton but the last couple years have been ugly and the lack of crowd late last year was stunning. This is really not something the club needed when trying to win the casual fans back.

Some of the players should be paid more, I have no issue with that. Guys making under $50K a year at the absolute bottom of the totem pole to bash their brains out playing this crazy game are taking a lot of risks. With the new TV money you'd hope there's money on the table to give them more without blowing everything up. I hope they can find a middle ground at the 11th hour but I'm a hockey fan I've been down this road too many times now. Some of the buzzwords being thrown around today are old hat in talk that says "we're not really talking".

• 2 weeks later...

A lot of interesting social media action today that suggests there are a lot of players who aren't happy with the deal but are going to vote yes on it anyway, because they have a lack of faith in being able to get a better deal that will justify a strike action.

We'll see. Not out of the woods yet, but the general vibe seems to be this will pass, grudgingly.