DVDVR Message Board

2024 Non-Event General MMA Talk Thread

Elsalvajeloco

June now? that will be a damn near 3-year layoff, weeks before his 36th birthday, and his last win took place pre-pandemic. It will be over a year after the debut of TUF31. Maybe he's hoping that Chandler's 18 month layoff will lead to more ring rust for the 38 year old?

in other news, Rizin 45 was a lot of fun. Their NYE cards never cease to entertain.
Seika Izawa beats another legend. I'm surprised they haven't matched her up with Rena Kubota or Kanna Asakura yet. Those are really the only marketable fighters left for her.
Horiguchi remains the man.
Asakura (Kai) wins again while still being very beatable. the whole situation sucks for Archuleta. Hope he gets further chances.
Hiromoto/Ya-Man was a hot opening round and stayed good all the way through.
i enjoyed watching Ougikubo break down Dodson, who looked good early but fell off fast. i wonder if age is finally catching up to him?

oh, and they sorta announced Mayweather/Pacquiao 2 happening sometime in 2024. Pac seemed hesitant to say his name, despite Sakakibara already announcing it right before that. felt weird.

Edited by twiztor
  • Like 1

I wonder what's going on that Gaethje isn't in the title eliminator fight? I know he was making a case for being next, but now that's definitively off the table.

I know Holloway was wanting to move up and get a BMF super fight going, which I'd be all about.

11 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

i know she just beat former champ Jessica Andrade and all, but this is 100% just so Dana/UFC can say that had China vs China for a title, right? i mean, undefeated Tatiana Suarez (also coming off a victory over Andrade) is RIGHT THERE.

32 minutes ago, twiztor said:

i know she just beat former champ Jessica Andrade and all, but this is 100% just so Dana/UFC can say that had China vs China for a title, right? i mean, undefeated Tatiana Suarez (also coming off a victory over Andrade) is RIGHT THERE.

Suarez has a fight next month so I am assuming another win means a title shot.

I mean yeah, obviously part of the reason cause Dana even stated that I believe. However, if the plan is to get the most eyeballs on the card as possible, that's more of a draw internationally than a Suarez fight and that's nothing against Suarez.

And it's not like Yan Xionan is a bad fighter. She just maybe got this one a little faster than maybe merit would've allowed. I've been wanting to see this fight for a while, so I'm pumped.

Also Cody Garbrandt vs. Figueiredo was announced too.. Here's to hoping it's the same Cody that called him out. Could be a killer fight.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, jaedmc said:

Also Cody Garbrandt vs. Figueiredo was announced too.. Here's to hoping it's the same Cody that called him out. Could be a killer fight.

Looking forward to that one. Fancy Figueiredo with his power though Garbrandt can swing, it's his chin.

8 hours ago, The Natural said:

Figure Justin Gaethje vs. Max Holloway for the BMF title at UFC 300. Alexa Grasso vs. Valentina Shevchenko 3 perhaps? Different card?

I think the rumored title fight for 300 is Leon Edwards vs. Belal Muhammad. That would bring that up to 4 fights on the main card with one left remaining. I guess you can slide one more "superfight" on there like a random Justin Gaethje fight. I don't see another women's title fight on there.

• Like 1

Conor McGregor has donated £25,000 to Irish MMA fighter Ryan Curtis after he sustained "life-changing" injuries in a training accident.

Fighter Leah McCourt said Curtis, 31, had sustained "a broken back, a broken neck and a dislocated spine".

Curtis has been a professional since 2015 and has fought on Cage Warriors and Bellator cards.

McGregor posted on social media that he was "sending my support and well wishes" to the Dublin fighter.

Belfast boxer Michael Conlan, MMA fighters Molly McCann and Dillon Danis and coach John Kavanagh have also donated to Curtis and his family.

In a post on Instagram, Belfast's McCourt said "there is no exact end date as to when his treatment will be complete".

"Ryan will never be able to do what he loves, and fight or train in MMA again. A sport he has dedicated his life to from the age of 11," she added.

"Ryan has the most infectious positive outlook in life and has been through some of the most horrific circumstances, always coming out a better human, man and friend.

"He is still showing his positive outlook, his determination and mindset to overcome yet another challenge that life has presented."

Credit: bbc.co.uk.

Bloody hell. Best wishes to Ryan Curtis.

On 1/12/2024 at 10:38 AM, The Natural said:

Figure Justin Gaethje vs. Max Holloway for the BMF title at UFC 300. Alexa Grasso vs. Valentina Shevchenko 3 perhaps? Different card?

Justin Gaethje vs. Max Holloway for the BMF title at UFC 300 officially announced. Max has had 33 fights and he's never lost by KO/TKO. I think this might be the first as Justin has won 20 of his 25 wins by way of KO/TKO and Max is moving up a weight class.

Jim Miller vs. Bobby Green at UFC 300. Miller/UFC ran the risk of him getting injured/medically suspended in his win over Gabriel Benitez. Miller has fought at UFC 100, UFC 200 and now UFC 300.

BBC Sport:

Paddy Pimblett and Molly McCann will star in a reality series set to air on BBC Three and iPlayer this summer.

The series, called Paddy & Molly: Show No Mersey, will give a unique insight into the lives of two of the UK's biggest MMA stars.

The show will follow the duo in their professional efforts in the UFC and their personal lives in Liverpool.

"We can't wait for you all to see what a day in the life for us both entails," said Pimblett and McCann.

"It's not all sunshine and rainbows and a lot goes into what we do. You won't believe it until you see it, so get watching."

As well as tagging along for their UFC careers, the show introduces the pair's families, including Pimblett's wife Laura, who is pregnant with twins, and McCann's fiance Ellis.

Pimblett, 29, made a winning return to action following a year out with injury at UFC 296 last month, beating fellow lightweight Tony Ferguson by unanimous decision.

McCann, 33, meanwhile, is hoping to recover from two successive defeats as she makes her strawweight debut against Diana Belbita on 3 February.

Pimblett has won all five of his fights since debuting in the UFC in 2021, while McCann, who joined the promotion in 2018, has been victorious in six of her 11 bouts.

7 minutes ago, waffle said:

Kayla at 135? No effing shot. How?!?

Money.

She is really muscular but her build is that of someone who could shed weight. Moreover, it is not like she has to do it by next week.

2 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Money.

She is really muscular but her build is that of someone who could shed weight. Moreover, it is not like she has to do it by next week.

Still. Judo she was 78kg her entire career. She's cut to 155  her whole MMA career except 1 145lb fight & 1 150lb catchweight. 

9 minutes ago, waffle said:

Still. Judo she was 78kg her entire career. She's cut to 155  her whole MMA career except 1 145lb fight & 1 150lb catchweight. 

It would be much tougher if she was skin and bones. Right now, she's carrying a bunch of excess, artificial weight. It's gonna be a tough cut, but she didn't need to be as yoked up as she has been.