DVDVR Message Board

2024 Non-Event General MMA Talk Thread

Elsalvajeloco

17 minutes ago, waffle said:

The ONEFC card was a tad depressing. 

Poor Akiyama. 

Shinya Aoki fighting Lineker is wild. Like ideally, you want replacements to be within one class either way of the person being replaced. Not like 3. That had to happen in Japan or somewhere where they just give a damn.

On 1/27/2024 at 10:44 AM, The Natural said:

When I think of worst MMA cuts ever: James Irvin to Middleweight, Conor McGregor at Featherweight and TJ Dillashaw to Flyweight.

the fact that Rumble Johnson ever fought at Welterweight is terrifying. 

• Like 2

Okay, the one thing I don't get here is are folks acting like women's lightweight (155 lbs) is a real weight class? People have been burying women's featherweight and the lack of talent since it started in the UFC. Even in women's boxing, save for Claressa Shields, the class of females is at 135 (lightweight in boxing) and below from Seniesa Estrada to Amanda Serrano to Katie Taylor. Stands to reason the best females in MMA are no higher than bantamweight. Kayla Harrison had no option to pair down. People are acting like she's a male fighter trying to fight at featherweight when he's actually a welterweight fighter. Those guys have options. The females don't especially if you want to make money. 

She's fought like Larissa Pacheco three times if I'm not mistaken. Pacheco has gotten a little better, but she's still the same Larissa Pacheco who got absolutely styled on by Germaine de Randamie in the UFC to the point it looked like something you see in an action movie. It was that one sided.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It looks like Bloody Elbow has been sold. I was wondering why they didn't have any new tweets in the last week or so. 

23 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

It looks like Bloody Elbow has been sold. I was wondering why they didn't have any new tweets in the last week or so. 

more so than that, the site was sold and the entire staff was laid off. BE had a big hand in bringing light to the anti-trust lawsuit against the UFC, as well as exposing a lot of ONE's questionable financials. i didn't visit the site often, but their work will be missed. Hope the staff can find new places to ply their trade.

Wasn't it not too long ago the whole thing was trying to be independent as to not compromise their journalistic integrity? This was like maybe a year or so ago.

I am guessing you cannot do that for too long before the bill comes due.

• Like 1

Get well soon Mark. Also don’t if anyone watches Napoleon Blownaparts videos on YouTube but he just posted part 1 on the history of the MMA linear heavyweight championship on Saturday that features Coleman prominently. 

Edited by WebConn89
  • Like 3

On 3/12/2024 at 10:05 PM, WebConn89 said:

Get well soon Mark. Also don’t if anyone watches Napoleon Blownaparts videos on YouTube but he just posted part 1 on the history of the MMA linear heavyweight championship on Saturday that features Coleman prominently. 

Napoleon is awesome. been a fan since he did the humongous PRIDE NEVER DIE videos. i even ordered his new tshirt a week or two ago. i never thought i'd be someone who has a "favorite youtuber", but here i am. 

good luck and speedy recover to Coleman. 

• Like 1

@twiztor The Pride Never Die videos are great. His Frank Dux video is really good too. There’s so many The Rise & Fall of Conor McGregor, The Ultimate Fighter Retrospective is also a fun watch. But there will never be another promotion like Pride and I think we are all a little worse off because of it. If anyone wants to watch the Pride video here’s the Supercut. 

Edited by WebConn89
  • Like 3

On 3/17/2024 at 2:35 AM, The Natural said:

https://twitter.com/AgFight/status/1769129748578627963

Jose Aldo back at UFC 301. I remember he had one more fight left on his contract but called it a day.

On 3/17/2024 at 8:45 PM, waffle said:

Aldo looked great vs. Merab, but he really has nothing left to prove, and is 37. 

Agreed. Having said that, I wish it was Jose Aldo vs. Dominick Cruz at UFC 301 instead. It's a fight I still want to see.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, zendragon said:

I thought Bellator was being absorbed into PFL

It technically was. I think the idea though was trying to still run seperate shows under the Bellator brand name due to the number of fighters being inherited. They released a good chunk of some of the pre sale Bellator roster in the transition, however, the plan was always to run shows with the branding especially on the international front. 

• Thanks 1