DVDVR Message Board

2024 Non-Event General MMA Talk Thread

Elsalvajeloco

18 minutes ago, twiztor said:

NYE in Japan?! i assume its another crossover with Rizin. wonder how that works with Coker out and PFL leadership in.

Probably the same just without Scott Coker lol.

I mean it was weird Sakakibara put out that statement about how he was on the fence working with new ownership, went on about there being no guarantee of continued co-promotion, and yet then somehow left the door open. So who in the hell knows?

That said, what else intriguing could PFL's Bellator really do outside of random Bellator vs. RIZIN matchups? I guess they can still trot that out.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Fitting Khabib/Tony is the thumbnail considering what date is today. When the news broke everybody thought it was an April's Fools but it wasn't. Most cancelled fight ever. Cursed.

Justin Gaethje and Max Holloway are two of my favourite fighters. Ever since the fight was announced for UFC 300, I've been concerned for Holloway. Holloway is moving up to Lightweight to fight Gaethje who is one of if not the heaviest Lightweight hitter ever. 20 of his 25 wins by KO/TKO. This will be Max's 33rd MMA fight and he's never lost by KO/TKO. This might be the one. I still remember and feel uncomfortable watching Gaethje vs. Tony Ferguson. Even Dana White felt that way. With the benefit of hindsight with Alexander Volkanovski losing the UFC Featherweight Championship to Ilia Topuria, maybe it was better to wait and do Topuria vs. Holloway for the UFC Featherweight Championship and Islam Makhachev vs. Justin Gaethje for the UFC Lightweight Championship. I wanted to see the latter for sometime with Gaethje's power. If Blessed wins, he deserves the shot at Islam. I have Gaethje as the #1 contender to Makhachev right now.

Manel Kape pulled out of his fight with Matheus Nicolau (4/27). i really like watching dude fight, i wish he could stay healthy and show up more than once a year.

Jon Jones continues to Jon Jones.

The Albuquerque Police Department responded to a call, after a person working for a drug testing agency was trying to obtain a drug test from UFC fighter Jon Jones. The UFC partners with a drug testing program called Drug Free Sport International and it is in charge of the collection process. For several years, the UFC partnered with USADA; however, last year, the UFC cut ties with them and started contracting with Drug Free Sport International instead.

Sources who are not authorized to speak to the media said the drug tester noticed Jones appeared extremely intoxicated and threatened to kill the tester. Jones at one point even snagged the drug tester’s cell phone. The incident happened at the end of March, however the tester went to a location nearby Jones’s home today to report the incident. A court record search did not produce any criminal summons or charges related to this incident as of today.

The tester met with officers at another location in far northeast Albuquerque. APD is currently investigating the alleged criminal act.

Jones is no stranger to the long arm of the law. He has faced a few criminal cases in New Mexico, New York where he is from and also Nevada where the UFC star most often fights.

Jones is a long time UFC champion who currently fights in the heavyweight division and is the current champion. He was expected to defend his heavyweight title later this year. Jones was supposed to fight Stipe Miocic last year, but got injured during training.

We will be following this story as it develops.

According to Kevin Iole, boxing promoter (Gary Shaw Productions and prior to as a member of Main Events), MMA promoter (EliteXC), and former New Jersey state athletic commission member Gary Shaw has passed away. RIP.

• 2 weeks later...

Tweeted and deleted:

So presumably a future big announcement.

The skyline in Manchester England is hard to recognise, they keep rebuilding the whole city centre every year.

• Like 1

Maybe it's time for Dariush to hang em up. And I've never been a big "X needs to retire" person. However, it's weird for a coach to be this honest and even say his fighter got KO'd in the gym. Then again, Cordeiro was one of the head coaches at Chute Boxe where guys use to get KO'd routinely in sparring cause everyone was going 100% all the time.