DVDVR Message Board

2023-24 NCAAF - GOIN' BOWLING!

Dolfan in NYC

if both teams had all the guys that they had during the championship week, Georgia still beats Florida State. Not 63-3 levels. But I don't think you could look at this result and say a 60 point margin was all due to the opt-outs.

Georgia beat TCU by 58 last year. Georgia's an asskicker of a team.

Meanwhile, the Barstool Bowl is actually on TV this year, on the CW, and it's a close game in the shadow of Georgia murdering Florida State.

51 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

if both teams had all the guys that they had during the championship week, Georgia still beats Florida State. Not 63-3 levels. But I don't think you could look at this result and say a 60 point margin was all due to the opt-outs.

Georgia is great and would've been a deserved favorite if both teams were at full strength.

But between opt outs, injuries, and portal exits, FSU was down thirty-two scholarship players. The team they put on the field today didn't resemble the 13-0 team from this season.

(Also that's kinda what puts the entire Alabama over FSU "4 best not most deserving" argument to the lie. Georgia would've been favored over all four teams in playoffs after a month to get healthy, yet they were ranked behind FSU.)

12 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

I like to think a full-strength FSU squad with 80 chips on 80 shoulders would've gone in pissed off and looking to make a point to everyone. They still probably would've lost but they'd have bloodied Georgia's noses in the process and gone out on their collective shields.

This feels like the end of the road for Norvell. He had a month to motivate his kids into a better place, keep the band together and show the CFP how wrong they were for the snub. Instead you got a cavalcade of aight-imma-head-outs and an island of remaining misfits who played like they'd rather be in Gaza. Or possibly Chyna. Either way, he/they got exposed to a biblical degree and I can't see why any top recruit would commit to a program that shit the bed as badly as they did under pressure.

4 hours ago, Pete said:

I like to think a full-strength FSU squad with 80 chips on 80 shoulders would've gone in pissed off and looking to make a point to everyone. They still probably would've lost but they'd have bloodied Georgia's noses in the process and gone out on their collective shields.

The sheer number of players who bailed out makes me question how those players would have responded if they played and experienced early adversity

Fortunately for players who opt-out of bowls, there’s so many of them that you’d have to be a pretty borderline draft prospect for it to be held against you by an NFL team

6 hours ago, Pete said:

This feels like the end of the road for Norvell. He had a month to motivate his kids into a better place, keep the band together and show the CFP how wrong they were for the snub. Instead you got a cavalcade of aight-imma-head-outs and an island of remaining misfits who played like they'd rather be in Gaza. Or possibly Chyna. Either way, he/they got exposed to a biblical degree and I can't see why any top recruit would commit to a program that shit the bed as badly as they did under pressure.

The loss of Travis was significant for FSU of course.  But with that much of your talent being assembled via Portal and NIL payments, Norvell had to know he had a group of rented mercenaries who would likely opt out of a non-playoff game.  

On the other side, though, Kirby was definitely sending a message to recruits.  Between the FSU NIL strategy and reports of significant amounts of tampering with UGA players, Kirby had zero intention of letting up and it showed.  I know personally he likes Norvell.  As a competitor in recruiting for south GA prospects, Kirby used this game to send a message to future recruits.  It was both savage and intentional…

ETA: Even had everyone played for FSU, this still likely would have been a UGA 30 point win…

Edited by ctapley

Kirby had 0 intentions of letting up because Kirby was in on the take ftw. I’m not a conspiracy person but there’s just no way all those players played for love of the scrimmage

Saying they would have beat us anyway is just not good enough. Horseshit and everybody knows it.

Now with all that said and meant, I will meet halfway on something else that’s not getting repeated, that proves I have a clear head about what I’m saying and am not just mad. The problem with FSU was the fact that they were not mentally prepared to play a football game on the night of November 18, 2023 (North Bama). The whole thing started falling apart from the sound of the opening gun of that game. We weren’t ready to play, we didn’t respond to getting hit in the mouth, and the star player got hurt when he tried to be all Brett Favre in a highschool game. I could smell it about to happen. I don’t know if I ever posted that here but I swear to gosh I knew it was coming.

Edited by BloodyChamp

Georgia probably would've won against a near full strength FSU, but I think it would've been more 35-14, maybe even 28-17 type of game.

I just don't think there's a single thing you can take away from the game yesterday except that Georgia had a lot fewer important players opt out.

5 hours ago, BloodyChamp said:

Kirby had 0 intentions of letting up because Kirby was in on the take ftw. I’m not a conspiracy person but there’s just no way all those players played for love of the scrimmage

Saying they would have beat us anyway is just not good enough. Horseshit and everybody knows it.

Apologies, I don’t understand what you are saying here.  What does “Kirby was in on the take” mean?

And I am not sure what you are saying in the second paragraph? What is horseshit?  

22 minutes ago, ctapley said:

Apologies, I don’t understand what you are saying here.  What does “Kirby was in on the take” mean?

And I am not sure what you are saying in the second paragraph? What is horseshit?  

It sounds like you understand fine to me. 

So who had "Michigan physically dominates the first quarter and a half but keep making mental errors keeping the game tied" on their bingo card?

4 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

i'm reading the "Alabama needs to run more" takes on Twitter and wondering "hey, should you really run the ball *more* vs a Big 10 team"

Alabama definitely needs to throw away every empty backfield set in the playbook at halftime. Michigan is just teeing off on Milroe every time.

one example, there was one third down play where it probably would have worked better as a jet sweep to the in-motion RB than having the QB run up the middle for a yard. So that would be a run play, but not an uninspired "running into the pile" run play

It's interesting to see Bama's band tempting fate by playing "Mr. Brightside" during halftime.

Michigan does seem to actually have a plan this year instead of reading the wrong signs attempting to coast like they did against TCU.

Bama seemed to have figured out a better approach before the center/QB exchange became impossible for them on that drive.

Michigan could really use a touchdown and some breathing room on this drive.

Low scoring and tense is exactly what I expected but God damn Michigan is so close to having broken this wide open but they missed so many chances.

1 hour ago, Cobra Commander said:

i'm reading the "Alabama needs to run more" takes on Twitter and wondering "hey, should you really run the ball *more* vs a Big 10 team"

Looks to be working well for them.

Michigan has let Bama hang in this game with dumb mistakes on offense, they can't fuck this drive up.

Narrator: They did.

Edited by Raziel

Yeah Michigan really should've been up like 20-3 at halftime but they shot themselves in the foot too many times and now Bama seems to have it figured out and Michigan is dropping good passes.