DVDVR Message Board

MLB 2023 PLAYOFFS

RIPPA

On Leyland, who I like... He had a starting rotation in 2014 that included four guys who have Cy Young trophies, and all five have World Series rings, and none of them won it in Detroit.

(JV, Scherzer, Price, Porcello, and Sanchez)

1 hour ago, Brian Fowler said:

On Leyland, who I like... He had a starting rotation in 2014 that included four guys who have Cy Young trophies, and all five have World Series rings, and none of them won it in Detroit.

He also had a 6th starter (Drew Smyly) who won a ring for not-Detroit. 

And a HOFer (Cabrera) in his prime. And the MVP runner-up. And on and on and on. 

And they got swept in the first round. 

Edited by Tabe

1 hour ago, Brian Fowler said:

25 minutes ago, Tabe said:

He also had a 6th starter (Drew Smyly) who won a ring for not-Detroit. 

And a HOFer (Cabrera) in his prime. And the MVP runner-up. And on and on and on. 

And they got swept in the first round. 

leaving aside that I think Brian intended to post about Leyland in the other thread...

Brad Ausmus managed the 2014 Tigers, not Jim Leyland.

There's other playoff failures that you can pin on Leyland. 2014 was Brad Ausmus living off of what he inherited.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

leaving aside that I think Brian intended to post about Leyland in the other thread...

Brad Ausmus managed the 2014 Tigers, not Jim Leyland.

There's other playoff failures that you can pin on Leyland. 2014 was Brad Ausmus living off of what he inherited.

Don't be bringing facts into my nonsense arguments. I'm just bitter. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

meanwhile postgame, the Astros are saying that the Garcia HBP "woke the Astros up"

so basically punching a guy and claiming his reaction motivated you

also if you could get a guy ejected for being mad that you hit him with a pitch, that's a gamble that some teams would take

The only surprise with Matt Bush getting fined and barred from sitting on the bench for the rest of the series is that Matt Bush didn't end up trying to assault Dusty. But I guess Matt wasn't drunk during the game so he wasn't in his "assault the elderly" mood.

This series of events doesn't really seem to dissuade guys from intentionally hitting others. One of these days, i'd like to see a catcher get ejected or fined during all this because we know the pitchers aren't just going rogue.

What about the suspension for the maniac shoving an umpire around and escalating a situation? 

And Abreu had no control during the AB before Garcia. It’s a 2 run game. Why in the world would anyone be ok with intentionally hitting someone? It’s stupid. It wasn’t intentional. Dipshit Garcia putting his hands on the umpire? Intentional. And what kind of bitch goes after the catcher and not the pitcher? Almost as if Garcia knew it wasn’t intentional and just reacting to Maldonado’s trash talk

5 hours ago, Lawful Metal said:

What about the suspension for the maniac shoving an umpire around and escalating a situation? 

And Abreu had no control during the AB before Garcia. It’s a 2 run game. Why in the world would anyone be ok with intentionally hitting someone? It’s stupid. It wasn’t intentional. Dipshit Garcia putting his hands on the umpire? Intentional. And what kind of bitch goes after the catcher and not the pitcher? Almost as if Garcia knew it wasn’t intentional and just reacting to Maldonado’s trash talk

It was 100% intentional. C'mon. 

"I was just trying to go up and in" is what the pitcher said - mind you, the catcher is setup for a pitch on the outer half. The pitch was in the middle of the battery's box. Pitcher also had no negative reaction as one would expect from drilling someone in a close game. 

Garcia and Maldonado have history, hence Garcia thinking Maldonado ordered it. 

Did "the Astros" (Dusty) order it? Nah. It's a close game. But it was 100% intentional. Not even a question. ALL SIX umpires agreed it was intentional. 

And, yeah, Garcia probably should've gotten something for touching the umpire. 

Edited by Tabe

Hitting a guy with a first pitch fastball after he hit a big home run against you is gonna merit a raised eyebrow at the very least, especially hitting him around the letters (on the arm)

Abreu getting 2 games is less than he would have gotten if he did it during the regular season (Luis Perdomo got 3 games for hitting Manny Machado this year). I'm guessing MLB doesn't want to set a precedent that you can just do whatever in the postseason and not get suspended because it's the postseason

Meanwhile in the actual game tonight, Martin Maldonado drops his elbow into the way of a 1-0 fastball which is a reminder that if you don't care enough about your body, you can reach base a few extra times because the umps don't call it if you lean into a pitch.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

Meanwhile in the actual game tonight, Martin Maldonado drops his elbow into the way of a 1-0 fastball which is a reminder that if you don't care enough about your body, you can reach base a few extra times because the umps don't call it if you lean into a pitch.

It was unavoidable, but the overreaction of the Houston fans on that was clown shit.