DVDVR Message Board

2023 Non-Event General MMA Talk Thread

Elsalvajeloco

weird question. how does entrance music work with the UFC? like, i would assume they need to license that music from the artists/labels (hence it not being included on DVDs back in the day), but i don't recall ever hearing about a fighter not being able to use a song. And there's been some huge artists used (Rolling Stones, Eminem, etc.) that could command some major bucks.

11 hours ago, twiztor said:

weird question. how does entrance music work with the UFC? like, i would assume they need to license that music from the artists/labels (hence it not being included on DVDs back in the day), but i don't recall ever hearing about a fighter not being able to use a song. And there's been some huge artists used (Rolling Stones, Eminem, etc.) that could command some major bucks.

I think it may fall under some type of fair use exemption. Call it a lucky guess, but I decided to look into based on the hunch that I didn't remember hearing a bunch of Metallica outside of Brock using it. I figured a sport with a bunch of angry white dudes with bad tattoos should have a fair amount of Metallica song usage. It turns out that Carla Esparza of all people got denied from using a Metallica song due to legal reasons. So yeah, not every artist is cool with it.

Now that said, I doubt you are going to get an artist going after UFC just because they (the artist) would have the burden of proving the UFC is legitimately making money off the song/content in question. That's going to be extremely difficult to prove especially since UFC goes out of their way to not use the song after the event has aired live. Maybe it is there in the immediate replay, but that's it. They would just be wasting legal fees going after the UFC. 

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Sounds like the winner may fight Leon Edwards.

Winner faces the winner of Leon Edwards/Colby Covington. When Edwards beat Kamaru Usman in the rubber match, Dana White was adamant Cody was next for the UFC Welterweight Championship no matter what. Reminds me of the "Don't believe his lies" Polaroid from Memento (2000) with Uncle Dana's face on.

Edited by The Natural

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, DreamBroken said:

Wow, Julianna Pena is out of the Nunes fight with broken ribs. Irene Aldana steps in to replace

Sucks for Julianna Pena. When I think of Irene Aldana, it's her starching Ketlen Vieira at UFC 245.

Edited by The Natural

https://twitter.com/MMAJunkie/status/1658450380081205250

Francis Ngannou gets what he wants in a deal with PFL that gives him the flexibility to box and a leadership role within the organization to head PFL Africa. 

Former UFC heavyweight champion Francis Ngannou is headed to the PFL.

After months of negotiating with a number of organizations, Ngannou has signed a deal with PFL, promotion officials announced Tuesday morning. Ngannou won’t take part in the 2023 regular season, which is already halfway finished and, like Jake Paul, will instead compete in the PFL’s pay-per-view superfight division.

According to a news release, Ngannou signed a “strategic partnership” that gives him equity and a leadership role within the PFL.

“The PFL is excited to announce its groundbreaking strategic partnership with Francis Ngannou, the greatest heavyweight MMA fighter in the world,” PFL CEO Peter Murray said in a statement. “Ngannou will anchor the PFL’s star-studded PPV Super Fight Division, serve on PFL’s Global Athlete Advisory Board, and will be Chairman and an equity owner in PFL Africa. Beyond working with Francis to advance the sport of MMA and scale PFL globally, I’m personally looking forward to supporting Francis in his commitment to fight for communities in Africa and around the world, inspired by his vision for the Francis Ngannou Foundation.”

https://twitter.com/KevinI/status/1658601971576889344

Poirier-Gaethje for BMF title at UFC 291, July 29 in Salt Lake City. Blachowicz-Pereira co-main. UFC 292, Sterling-O'Malley, Zhang-Lemos on Aug 19 in Boston

Is the BMF title like the UFC version of a Ring magazine title?

• Like 2

re: BMF Title

i see a lot of vitriol from fans about the BMF belt being resurrected, but i gotta say that i love it. it's not a championship title. It's essentially a trophy. in the spirit of the old SAKU belt. 

i've been thinking a lot about defunct MMA promotions. i'm surprised there hasn't been more of a push by the UFC to pick up these fight libraries. Some are more surprising than others, but i would think they'd all be super cheap and add to Fight Pass or whatever. 

EliteXC - actually i'm not sure if this was part of the Strikeforce sale, but i don't think it was. only 8 "main" events and some pretty great names and fights on all of the cards.
International Fight League - the first major "team" mma promotion. only lasted 2 years but had a lot of big names as coaches and introduced Ben Rothwell and Roy Nelson, among others.
Affliction - only 2 events, but they were high profile and fun cards.
Extreme Fighting / Battlecade - this is my favorite of the old NHB promotions. Only held 4 events (1995-1997) but some pretty great stuff for the time.
Dream - the spiritual successor to Pride, it primarily focused on lighter weight classes and had some great fights. This is where Shinya Aoki became a huge star.  FEG went out of business in 2012, so this is not likely to be resurrected.
World Victory Road: Sengoku Raiden Championships - a rival Pride successor, this was quite good but didn't get the worldwide notoriety that Dream accomplished. went out of business in 2011

and then there's all the stand alone events out there that never went anywhere. i can understand why UFC wouldn't want to buy these, as there's no real benefit to them. Still, some of this stuff will likely never be seen again (YMMV on if that is a good thing or not):
World Combat Championships (1995) - featuring Renzo Gracie and Bart Vale, i remember enjoying this one quite a bit
World Fighting Federation (1997)
YAMMA Pit Fighting (2008) - terrible card. do not recommend.
March Badness (Roy Jones Jr., 2009)
Moosin: God of War (2010) - decent enough card. good commentary.
Shine Fights (2010) - this was a one night Lightweight Grand Prix and an absolute bonkers event
ProElite (2011-2012) three events, but all pretty low priority. Andrei Arlovski is on one of them. i don't know how/if this company is connected to EliteXC
Battlegrounds (2013) - another one night tournament, Jim Ross and Chael Sonnen were the commentators
Liddell vs. Ortiz 3 (Golden Boy Promotions, 2018) - another stinker of an event, but it was fun to watch this crumble before the event had even taken place

Watching the first episode of TUF. Conor McGregor looks nothing like Conor McGregor. Has he had some work done, or is it just HGH?

• 2 weeks later...