DVDVR Message Board

WONG FEI-HUNG KUNG FU MOVIE REVIEW pre-thread

Execproducer

Every fight scene in Drunken Master II is a banger! Hell even the short Anita Mui v. Liu Chia Lang fight is a dope little tease of what could've been. BUT... can we not undersell the insanity of the end fight of Police Story/Police Force?

James

• Like 2

On 5/6/2021 at 8:03 PM, Raziel said:

What do we all think is the best fight scene ever, and why is it the Kitchen Fight from The Raid 2?.

On 5/7/2021 at 7:32 AM, J.T. said:

Ken Lo vs. Jackie Chan in Legend of the Drunken Master and Donnie Yen vs. Colin Chou in Flashpoint both say "Hey!" 

I am also fond of the Zhang Ziyi vs. Michelle Yeoh weapons free for all in CTHD and the rooftop fight scene from Who Am I?

We'll get to all of this in the actual movie review thread and yeah, I haven't seen a fight in Raid or Raid 2 that I didn't like.  The hallway fight in The Raid where Rama is wrecking dudes with a tonfa and a knife is just mindblowing and Mad Dog should be a household name.

Iko Uwais is a babyfaced killer!

I'm partial to the restaurant fight against the Axe Gang, as far as Drunken Master II goes. The Ken Lo fight is great but it follows what was by then JC formula where Jackie has to lose his mind in order to beat a superior foe and he did that better with Whang In-shik in The Young Master.

Tough to pick the best ever but off the top of my head I can come up with a few favorites.  The Gordon Liu-Wang Lung-wei alley fight from Martial Club, Yuen Biao and Frankie Chan tearing it up in The Prodigal Son, Michelle Yeoh using Rope-fu against sword in Magnificent Warriors, and Jackie vs Benny "The Jet" in Wheels on Meals. And honorable mention to the first of several screen smackdowns between Moon Lee and Yukari Oshima in Iron Angels. Too short to be great but just as brutal as anything from The Raid.    

Edited by Execproducer
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Raziel said:

Is the Deadline still today?

Yes but given the times we live in, not set in stone. I have three picks so far so I'll give it a few more days before I start pestering people.

11 hours ago, Raziel said:

Also, I know Samurai flicks are in, but are Ninja flicks also in?

Yes but we did quite a few Ninja flicks on the first go round so you might want to refer to that. I'll probably get around to listing everything reviewed the last two years on Sunday night.

OK, time to make a push for picks.

• Execproducer *
  • Rippa *
  • J.T. *
  • odessasteps *
  • J.H. *
  • Setsuna *
  • Raziel *
  • driver *

* = Picks made.

Eight of us in with nate undecided.

Films reviewed from last two years.

Spoiler

The Magnificent Butcher

Soul Brothers of Kung Fu

Incredible Kung Fu Mission

The Grandmaster

The Last Dragon

A Hard Way To Die

Merantau

Drive

The Street Fighter

The Octagon

Enter the Ninja

Five Elements Ninja

Revenge of the Ninja

Ninja 3 : The Domination

The Miracle Fighters

Infra_Man

Against the Drunken Cats Paws

The Kid With the Golden Arm

The Prodigal Son

Wheels on Meals

Gymkata

Intimate Confessions of a Chinese Courtesan

Kill or be Killed

Kill and Kill Again

Royal Warriors

Drunken Master II

Martial Club

The Black Dragon's Revenge

They Call Me Bruce?

Firecracker

Force: Five

Heroes of the East

Master of the Flying Guillotine

The Big Boss

The Heroic Trio

The Mystery of Chess Boxing

Hapkido

Edited by Execproducer

If we're starting pimping in this thread then...

How have we not done Come Drink With Me yet?

I mean fuck it's good and fuck its iconic

On the opposite end of the spectrum, it blows my mind VERSUS is 20 years old! Of Kitamura's films it might be my favorite but I can flip a coin between it and Sky High

James

• Like 1

I would imagine, if you're a casual Shaw Brother's fan, that the late 60's - early 70's swordplay films are going to get a lot less love. But hey, I'm all for extolling the virtues of Cheng Pei-pei, King Hu, and Ku Feng.

Also, if you want to watch a pig's trough of HK flicks without paying, Amazon Prime is crawling with awesome flicks. Hell even some great cheap to rent/own Alexander Fu Sheng films! Scroll through titles and you can really have a huge viewing binge!

James

• Like 1

On 5/23/2021 at 5:25 AM, Execproducer said:

I would imagine, if you're a casual Shaw Brother's fan, that the late 60's - early 70's swordplay films are going to get a lot less love. But hey, I'm all for extolling the virtues of Cheng Pei-pei, King Hu, and Ku Feng.

I thought it was because we all loved it and figured that since we are Kung Fu heads, we have all seen it like a dozen times each.

I've avoided picking "mainstream" actioners in favor of lesser known but equally awesome stuff.  

Edited by J.T.

I will totally cop to having a massive blind spot for pre-Five Fingers of Death Shaw Bros stuff.  Anything earlier was either Bruce or Kurosawa.

Edited by Raziel
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Raziel said:

I will totally cop to having a massive blind spot for pre-Five Fingers of Death Shaw Bros stuff.  Anything earlier was either Bruce or Kurosawa.

I'm also somewhat here - but just anything pre-1977 or so aside from Bruce. 

I still like the idea that this project scours the back alleys for the choicest cuts.   How many of you knew about the greatness of Carl Scott before the first project we did?   I think we're all better served by doing our best to avoid standard fare while still giving the classics the respect they deserve.

28 minutes ago, J.T. said:

I still like the idea that this project scours the back alleys for the choicest cuts.   How many of you knew about the greatness of Carl Scott before the first project we did?   I think we're all better served by doing our best to avoid standard fare while still giving the classics the respect they deserve.

Or some of you will have to deal with my choice ?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, J.T. said:

This popped up after I re-watched the Carl Scott showcase video from the inaugural edition. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The review for the movie picked for me is in.  I am still tinkering with my bonus reviews.  I may have to submit them on my own as the review thread progresses.

• Like 1