DVDVR Message Board

NHL 2020 - The Quest for the Cup!

Dolfan in NYC

Okay, so here's what they've announced. 

• Ten cities are under consideration for Hub City status. Each conference would play in whichever city corresponds to their conference.  
  • The regular season is done.  24 teams have made the playoffs.  The remaining 7 teams are going to the draft lottery (Ottawa by way of having their, and San Jose's pick are the favorite to get the #1 pick).  
  • The Top 4 teams in each conference play in a round robin to determine Seeds 1-4. 
  • Seeds 5 through 12 will be in regular bracket play. 

These two tweets show what the brackets will look like if this goes down. 

Spoiler

• Like 1

Also, this will end 3 of the top 5 playoff droughts in the NHL with Phoenix, Vancouver, and Florida all making it. 

ADDITIONALLY... Carolina apparently voted against this.  Wonder if that's because of who they'd have to face in Round 1?  ?

I am amused at all the people bitching about the season ending so stats stopping.

Like OMG! OVIE'S 50 GOAL STREAK IS BROKEN! THIS IS SO UNFAIR!!!

25 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

ADDITIONALLY... Carolina apparently voted against this.  Wonder if that's because of who they'd have to face in Round 1?  ?

I am assuming its more that in the regular format they were the top wild card team in the East already.

Now they have to play an extra round

I'm so sad I was denied watching NHL All Star Goalie David Rittich shit the bed and cost the Flames a playoff spot on the final day of the regular season, which was absolutely destiny. But I'll get over it as long as the Oilers get by Chicago I guess.

Tampa Bay was the other team to vote against the proposal

Tampa Bay Lightning forward Alex Killorn confirmed to The Athletic Saturday that the team voted against the NHL's proposed 24-team playoff format. Killorn, the Lightning's National Hockey League Players' Association rep, said everyone on the team wants to play but felt certain aspects of the format were unfair.

"They didn't feel it was fair that certain teams that probably wouldn't have made the playoffs would have a chance to make the playoffs in a best-of-five series," Killorn told The Athletic. "My team also felt it was unfair that the teams with a bye would not be as well prepared for a playoff series as the teams that had already basically played a playoff series to get into the playoffs."

Killorn voiced concern about the round-robin portion Friday in a call with reporters and whether those games will properly prepare them for the 16-team playoff.

"The only problem I have with that format is that the top teams that have a bye," Killorn described. "I don't know how competitive the games will be going forward where the teams at the bottom will be playing playoff games right away and [would be] potentially more prepared for the real playoffs."

And that isn't even factoring in the Hub city issue which apparently a majority of the players across the league hate.

And I was right - Carolina was no just because they are whiny about playing an extra round

As for the Hurricanes, Carolina’s representative Jordan Martinook stated in a Zoom call with reporters that they voted against it because it’s detrimental to their playoff odds. Coming into the last month of the season, the Hurricanes had nearly an 80 percent chance to make the postseason, according to Money Puck.

With the new format, the Hurricanes would have to play in a play-in series, decreasing their odds dramatically.

“I feel like if you’re doing the 24-team thing, it basically gives a team a chance that had no chance of making it, which if you play 82 there’s maybe 6, 8 percent chance that the team in 12th place (in the conference) makes it,” Martinook said, via TSN. “Nobody’s ever seen this before, but at the end of the day, the Stanley Cup Playoffs are 16 teams, seven games a series.”

Apparently the NHL and NHLPA have at least agreed on a few things

The "qualifying round" of the playoffs - the one with 24 teams - will be Best of 5

All remaining rounds will be Best of 7

Tournament will not be bracketed, but re-seeded after every round

• 2 weeks later...

I saw on Twitter - and this was from the NY Post so who the fuck knows - that the NHL said a team can’t play at home. Thus assuming this is the format they are using - the entire Eastern Conference is going to Vegas

The league wants the other hub to be Toronto but needs Canada to drop the mandatory 14 day quarantine. I guess they should just say Brock Lesnar is on all the teams.

And the Lightning had to close their facilities due to positive tests

So that is two sports in one day.

But totally fine everyone. This was expected. Sun kills all.

Today I learned that Donald Fehr is trying to strong arm the PA into playing and that several players want a full vote instead of just the executive council because they believe the majority of players dont want to resume the season

Of course - this is what happens when you put Fehr in charge