DVDVR Message Board

NFL 2013: WEEK 8

Dolfan in NYC

I am excited about Jason Campbell

He got screwed in DC and then he was better than decent in Oakland but got injured and they went all WE NEED CARSON PALMER!!! so he got boned there too

• Like 1

I am excited about Jason Campbell

He got screwed in DC and then he was better than decent in Oakland but got injured and they went all WE NEED CARSON PALMER!!! so he got boned there too

This is true.  It's odd how little attention he's got since that Oakland season, given that he had them in the playoff hunt before he got hurt, and Palmer damn sure didn't keep them there.

I am excited about Jason Campbell He got screwed in DC and then he was better than decent in Oakland but got injured and they went all WE NEED CARSON PALMER!!! so he got boned there too

This is true.  It's odd how little attention he's got since that Oakland season, given that he had them in the playoff hunt before he got hurt, and Palmer damn sure didn't keep them there.
The little attention he got is probably because when he replaced Jay Cutler against the Niners, their rookie backup QB blew the Bears the fuck up. Granted no QB could look good behind that Bears' line, but he really didn't show any flashes of potential during that stint.
  • Like 1

Josh Freeman has been diagnosed with a concussion.  Christian Ponder will start if (and more likely when) Freeman is ruled Out.

When 2-3 of us masochists were discussing that MNF abomination in the weekly thread, I commented that leaving Freeman in to flail about helplessly reminded me of a less brutal version of that Patrick Ramsey/Steve Spurrier Redskins fiasco. I guess Freeman being a huge guy masked the fact he was taking a pounding after all.As for Weedon, I can't believe he lasted this long as starter. The AFC North is a trash division where I can legit see 9-7 winning it and the Browns are just as good as anybody as long as they get semi-competent quarterbacking. Weedon is so indescribably awful any QB would be an upgrade. Campbell reminds me of Byron Leftwich, a guy who has shown he can put together a run (with Washington and Oakland in Campbell's case) but can never stay healthy long enough to see it through.

Their defense is good enough that all they really need is a competent QB at this point on offense that can move the chains a little and not turn the ball over.  They could be similar to the Chiefs and Alex Smith if they just had that level of QB.  They have some weapons on offense.  

Must say I'm a little surprised at Weeden's struggles.  I didn't think he'd be great but he looked like a good pro prospect at Okey State.  Thought he'd be at least pretty good but he's been pretty awful.

Josh Freeman had 16 overthrows in Monday's game.  That's the most overthrows in a single game by any QB in something like 20 years.  It's more overthrows than any other QB in the league has this season.  Wonder how much of that had to do with his concussion?  Also curious to see if the NFLPA steps in and starts asking why he was playing with a concussion...

Re: Jason Campbell:

He's never been any good for more than about 5 minutes at a time.  In his brief stretch with Oakland, yeah, they were 4-2 and pretty much none of that had to do with Campbell.  He threw for less than 200 a game, just 6 TDs, and had a QBR of 55.  In the 5 years that the QBR stat is available for, he's never been above 56 for a season.

He's never been any good for more than about 5 minutes at a time.  In his brief stretch with Oakland, yeah, they were 4-2 and pretty much none of that had to do with Campbell.  He threw for less than 200 a game, just 6 TDs, and had a QBR of 55.  In the 5 years that the QBR stat is available for, he's never been above 56 for a season.

Weeden is currently at 24.9.

In fact, 55ish would put someone at 16th right now this season, which is certainly starter quality.

Don't forget: not only is Weeden clearly terrible, he is also almost 30. Man, think about that draft. Trade up to get a running back because you here a rumor that the Jets are putting together a deal to trade up as well. Use the second pick you have in the first round to pick a 29 year old quarter back whom had never worked in a pro style offense. A year later, one got traded and the other will in all likelihood never play another meaningful down barring an injury. It has to go down as an all time whiff.

The only thing this draft proves is that Mark Trestman, who worked extensively with Weeden, is a Svengali of the highest order.

It's why I laugh when someone says the Browns made out like bandits in the Richardson trade.  I could see that POV--if we weren't talking about the BROWNS.  No matter who owns or runs that team, they underachieve or flat out stink and the only good decisions they make are by accident.

Factory of sadness, thy name is Cleveland.

There is this weird section of people and players who say that since no one is "trying" to injure folks and the NFL has made the rules so tough - it is impossible to not smash guys in the head so they shouldn't be suspended.

The prevailing theory is that the NFL knew the suspension would get reduced - that's why the did 2 games in the first place so that way he would still miss a game after it got reduced.

However, now that he has been suspended once, they know they can drop the hammer again when he injuries an opponent... or a teammate for that matter.

Of course - took him having 6 incidents this year to even get that suspension so who the fuck knows

Weeden is currently at 24.9.

In fact, 55ish would put someone at 16th right now this season, which is certainly starter quality.

Didn't say he wouldn't be an improvement :)

55 means average.  16th in a league of 32 is....average.  Average and "good" are not the same thing.

It's why I laugh when someone says the Browns made out like bandits in the Richardson trade. I could see that POV--if we weren't talking about the BROWNS. No matter who owns or runs that team, they underachieve or flat out stink and the only good decisions they make are by accident.Factory of sadness, thy name is Cleveland.

Trent Richardson is really nothing special and they got a first round pick for him. Green Bay could have had Steven Jackson a couple years ago for a fifth round pick and there are trade rumors for MJD that would probably involve no more than a fourth round pick. Getting a first for a guy that hasn't shown much was awesome. And he still hasn't done anything in Indy behind a much better line in a better offense. Browns clearly won that deal.

The Richardson trade was a great one for Cleveland.  Yeah, they'll screw up the pick but, like FSW said, they got a 1st rounder for a guy that is a complete bust.  He's been awful in Indy.  Remember how the line in Cleveland was that he sucked because they had terrible QBs so people just stacked against the run?  Well, they have a pretty good QB in Indy and he's still awful.  Benched for a long section of the Denver game. 

Now, will Cleveland do anything with that pick?  Probably not.  But it was still a good trade.

I must confess that even I, who thought Weeden would be a good pro, wouldn't have drafted him in the first round.  He was a more talented Chris Weinke in pretty much every way - and that's not a guy you blow a first rounder on.

Richardson has been awful behind a very good run blocking line (outsiders ranks it the best run blocking line in the nfl) that other backs have been quite good behind this year, with an excellent young qb.I didn't hate the trade for Indy at the time, and I applaud going all in to try and win a ring, but the Browns clearly fleeced them.Hell, his raw numbers were better in Cleveland.

Indy's offensive line isn't particularly good.  Statistics don't mean anything on that one. Luck takes more hits than he should.  Not that pass protection and run blocking are the same--I'm just saying that their O-line ain't all that.

I'm not throwing Richardson to the wolves just yet.

Browns clearly won that deal.

The Browns don't win ANYTHING.  You can give them #1 draft pick every year for the next decade and they'll still miss the playoffs 70% of the time.  God hates Cleveland. :P