DVDVR Message Board

The Mass Effect thread

Okay so that's the first one done and dusted. Really liked it. Enjoyed the multiple routes on the Ilos map.

I actually enjoyed the last mission. The "outside the lift, up the side of the citadel" bit was really entertaining. While I enjoyed the Saren final fight, I thought it lacked something. Cant quite put my finger on it, but it felt a bit...sorta there. 

Will definitely be porting over my shep to the second game. Do you know if you can retool your pre-existing save as another class of shep, or will they remain (in my case) a soldier, commando type, no biotic or tech skills.

Yeah you can changed your class. Pretty much the only things you can't change are your name, gender and background (ie: Colonist Sole Survivor, etc..)

Also know that your Level determines what sort of bonuses you get going into ME2. So ideally you want to be at least Level 50 on the save you import over.

I hit level 46.

I didnt go back into the game after completing it cos it was late and i was tired.

is there an option that says you've saved the galaxy, now go off and finish those side quests...or do i have to reload my old save?

Unfortunately - in the original Mass Effect, there is no "can still fiddle around after the final battle" option. You would either to do a 2nd playthrough or load an earlier save (and remember that the save would have to be pre-Virmire)

Now to be fair - ME is purposely set up that you can't even get close to Level 60 on a single playthrough. I think the highest I ever got on a single run was Level 53 and that was with doing the DLC and cheap things like making sure to kill a Thresher Maw on foot.

Finally exorcised an old demon and re-won the Pistol Mastery medal this morning but did it after finally getting the 100 Pistol Medals award.  How long have I been playing this game and it has taken me this long to get 100 Pistol Medals?

Unfortunately - in the original Mass Effect, there is no "can still fiddle around after the final battle" option. You would either to do a 2nd playthrough or load an earlier save (and remember that the save would have to be pre-Virmire)

Now to be fair - ME is purposely set up that you can't even get close to Level 60 on a single playthrough. I think the highest I ever got on a single run was Level 53 and that was with doing the DLC and cheap things like making sure to kill a Thresher Maw on foot.

Yep, there is no way to get Level 60 characters on your first playthrough without using the Laser Drill Glitch on Therum which I belive still works.

... not that I condone cheating or anything...

I still havent gotten Pistol, SMG or Shotgun

I realized that is because I usually only use Pistols with biotics and then I am focusing on killing stuff with said powers instead of getting pistol kills

Shotguns are with my melee dudes - so same thing as before only with melee instead of powers

And I just dont use SMGs as much as I do period

I am 25 medals away from getting the 100 SMG Medals award.

I do not see that happening anytime soon.

I was surprised how fast I got the 100 Shotgun Medals award.  Most of the time, I am using a Krogan when I am armed with a shotgun, but my mission is to do as much melee damage as possible and not fire my shotgun at all if I can help it.  Of course my Vanguards all have shotguns, but I only open fire on the stuff I don't immediately destroy with a Biotic Charge.

My N7 Destroyer is armed with the Crusader but I only use it if I cannot get to an ammo box to grab more thermal clips for the Typhoon.

I have finally achieved the status... of Biotic God.

Did some solo runs with the Drell and Asari Adept on bronze (For the record, I am viewing it as a personal rule that if you can't get at least 50000 soloing on bronze, you should not take a character to gold). Got to wave 8 with the Asari, and extracted with the Drell. God bless Reave, it saved my ass more times then I can count.

Anyway, I'm going to divide my attention now between Tech Mastery and Commando Mastery. Maybe Outsider mastery since that one seems kinda easy too.

Ok-

So, doing another playthrough of ME 2 with the endgoal of being able to save both the Geth and the Quarians at the appropriate time. Allegedly, it can be done. Anyone know how to do this?

Ok-

So, doing another playthrough of ME 2 with the endgoal of being able to save both the Geth and the Quarians at the appropriate time. Allegedly, it can be done. Anyone know how to do this?

Yup - since I have always gotten the Geth and Quarians to have peace.

But yeah - things you do in ME2 are critical to the process

1) You must import save into ME3. The reason is that if you don't, the default choice is that Tali is exiled from the Migrant Fleet. And you need Tali for peace.

2) You can't let Tali be exiled from the fleet. So you must do her loyalty mission properly

3) When Tali/Legion have their conflict on the Normandy - you must broker peace. IE: you can't lose the loyalty of one of them.

4) Tali and Legion must both survive ME2

Also your choice of whether to re-write the heretic Geth factors in but that one isn't a deal breaker.

That's everything for ME2. Obviously then there are factors in ME3 to make it happen.

Now... if you are playing as a pure paragon AND you are doing everything available to you - it will just happen naturally and you have nothing to worry about.

But if you play a mix - make sure to check a guide because looking it over, this is probably one of the most complex things to do in the game

Ok-

1) You must import save into ME3. The reason is that if you don't, the default choice is that Tali is exiled from the Migrant Fleet. And you need Tali for peace.

2) You can't let Tali be exiled from the fleet. So you must do her loyalty mission properly

3) When Tali/Legion have their conflict on the Normandy - you must broker peace. IE: you can't lose the loyalty of one of them.

Also your choice of whether to re-write the heretic Geth factors in but that one isn't a deal breaker.

That's everything for ME2. Obviously then there are factors in ME3 to make it happen.

Now... if you are playing as a pure paragon AND you are doing everything available to you - it will just happen naturally and you have nothing to worry about.

But if you play a mix - make sure to check a guide because looking it over, this is probably one of the most complex things to do in the game

I tried saving everybody twice as a pure renegade.  Failed the first time, succeeded the second.  The difference between the two was rewriting the heretics - I succeeded by wiping them out, for some reason.

Tali's loyalty mission was fun on a renegade run.  If you've been a big enough asshole, you can avoid the whole trial by shouting down the Admirals.

It was love at first sight when he used it to obliterate a Geth Prime. 

I can't wait until he builds an N7 Destroyer up to Level 20 and spec Devastator mode for Accuracy (Rank 4), Rate of Fire (Rank 5), and Weapon Damage (Rank 6).   The Typhoon was made with an N7 Destroyer in mind.

Ok-

I tried saving everybody twice as a pure renegade.  Failed the first time, succeeded the second.  The difference between the two was rewriting the heretics - I succeeded by wiping them out, for some reason.

Tali's loyalty mission was fun on a renegade run.  If you've been a big enough asshole, you can avoid the whole trial by shouting down the Admirals.

I can't keep Tali from exile without pissing her off to where she's not loyal. Am I not "paragon" enough?

If you are a Paragon or Renegade, then you have the clear dialogue option to use Tali's exemplary character as proof of her innocence.

The real key is (sigh) going through the time to talk to all of the admirals.  Once you uncover evidence through conversation of the political bullshit going on, you can call out the Admiralty Board once you get back from the Alarai and shame them into finding Tali innocent.

If you go to the Alarai without talking to anyone, you will have to lie about Tali's father's experiements and say you didn't find any evidence.  Tali will be convicted of treason, but she will be come loyal.

If you are a Paragon, you want to make sure that Kal'Reegar survives Haestrom and that Veetor isn't taken into custody by Cerberus.

I think the paragon/renegade check for Tali's mission is really high, so it's one to save till the end of ME2.  If you can, try doing as many other missions as possible first.  If you're renegade enough, you can basically shout down the Admirals, telling them they should be kissing Tali's ass for saving the galaxy from the Reapers and Saren in ME1 - you don't even have to do the trial that way.

Yeah - if you look online, basically you need to have a "morality score" of 30 or more.

But yeah - the backup is to have Veetor and Kal Reeger there and talk to the admirals because then you can rally the crowd.

So you can do it if your score isnt high enough but you have had to made those key decisions earlier

This is the full breakdown

• Use Charm or Intimidate to point to Tali's history as proof that she would never betray her people. If Shepard took the time to speak to the Admiralty Board before departing to retake the Alarei, (and thus uncovered the political debates between the admirals over war with the geth), the speech given will focus more on how Tali's trial is being abused to generate political ammunition. Either way, it will generate 30 of the appropriate morality points and the Admiralty Board will exonerate Tali, granting Shepard her loyalty.
  • Lie and say no evidence was found, gaining 30 Paragon points. Tali is found guilty of treason and exiled from the Migrant Fleet. She has six hours to leave. However, Tali's loyalty is earned.
  • If Shepard spoke to the Admirals about their motivations, Veetor and Kal'Reegar are present, and Shepard asked them for their help before leaving for the Alarei, Shepard can rally the crowd. The option is only available if Veetor was returned to the Fleet instead of Cerberus on Freedom's Progress and Kal'Reegar survived Haestrom. They will speak on her behalf and say Tali "did more for the fleet" than the admirals ever will. The admirals are cowed and find Tali not guilty. 30 Paragon points will be awarded. Shepard now has Tali's loyalty.
  • Present the evidence of Tali's father's crimes, earning 30 Renegade points. Tali is declared innocent, but her father faces dramatic consequences. He is posthumously exiled and his name is stricken from the rolls on every ship he served. The Migrant Fleet becomes Balkanized, as the public revelation of the data brings simmering tensions to the forefront. Some ships want to use the research to make new weapons against the geth. Others want to make peace with the geth. Tali is angry at what Shepard has wrought and will not be loyal.

Got my 100th SMG medal last night.  I will not repeat that feat before getting a current gen console and playing Mass Effect 4.  I will probably get N7 Mastery just in time to trade in my 360 for the XBone and get Watch Dogs.