DVDVR Message Board

The Mass Effect thread

On Silver difficulty?  Wow.  I thought you only did the Box of Shame on Gold or Platinum?

I've only seen it on Platinum but yeah this was a Silver

He was giving folks from the UK a bad name as he yelled at us all for like 3 waves and then realized none of us were going to join him so he came out and started killing things.

So I finished my first play-through on ME1 again, got ready to fire up ME2 and import my character over. . .and I need a patch.

I can't get said patch, because I can't get on the internet at my house yet because the people that occupied the house before us were inconsiderate assholes. More specifically, they didn't cancel their contract with Deutsch Telekom early enough and so there's still internet access in their name going to the house (that they refused to give us the username and password for) that we can't use. This will persist until the end of the month.

Guess that means I can play through 1 again, try to max out my character, and do things differently. . .most importantly making sure Wrex doesn't get himself shot on Virmire.

Level 35 going into Virmire with Liara and Garrus

Thats alright, isnt it?

You should be fine. You have done Therum, Feros and Noveria already right (instead of doing two and then going to Virmire)?

Also - depending on how you wanted to handle a choice... you need to make sure either your Charm or Intimidate is at 8

Have done Therum as I've got Liara. Been grinding through the assignments to see if I can pick up nice weapons/armour/benefits

I've been auto-levelling my squad, but not me. So with Liara or Garrus I haven't got someone who's shit hot at electronics...yet.

Well you should have had Tali (or have Electronics yourself) - of course if you have been auto-leveling, you still might be boned

Now the reason JT talks about electronics is that since Virmire is Geth... AI Hacking is almost a must, just to make battles easier.

Obviously you can do it without it it just makes things tougher

I had her for one mission, but she was so godawful she was relegated to the b squad along with kaiden.

I've made my choice. I'm a full bore ahead overkill assault rifle, heavy armour Commando. I've got a hell of a good biotic pistol whipping mofugga, and a badass turian sniper. 

Assignmenys don't get a lot of xp though. Down to my last two apart from the surveys/finding things quests.

Going to try and hit up Virmire, next session.

I'm due a replay of these from scratch but, daft as it sounds, I'm hoping I break my leg or something so I get a lot of time off work to blast through in one go haha.

Also, I need to buy them for PS3 but the cost is astronomical for the trilogy set

Well you should have had Tali (or have Electronics yourself) - of course if you have been auto-leveling, you still might be boned

Now the reason JT talks about electronics is that since Virmire is Geth... AI Hacking is almost a must, just to make battles easier.

Electronics on Noveria makes things a little easier also.  Extra XP for fixing the plasma purge station and not having to fight a shitload of Rachni larvae before you go to Peak 13.

Fresh in the probably 5% of the people who hate the entire Quarian race

Fresh will also wonder why he won't be able to access his account one day

Psssstttt... Nobody tell Rippa, but I actually don't hate Quarians. I just like the gruffier races better (Krogan, Batarian, Vorcha).

Electronics on Noveria makes things a little easier also.  Extra XP for fixing the plasma purge station and not having to fight a shitload of Rachni larvae before you go to Peak 13.

See, I used them mini bugs to get my eye in on the controls...tweak the sensitivity and look. 

I dont hate the quarian - just found her bloody useless.

If Garrus sticks around in the sequels he'll be my go to squaddie...Liara too for her advantages.

Really, the thing with Mass Effect's side characters is you can turn almost any of them into a killing machine that is pretty damn overpowered if built right. Tali is probably the best character in the game with a strong build toward tech powers and little to no points toward guns. Honestly, points into guns in that game become useless once you get the Spectre Weaponry. Wrex, Garrus, and Liara are all viable options as well, Wrex can be turned into a god damned tank of epic proportions with a build on Fitness, Barrier, and his passive ability, in combination with weakening DPS attack of Warp. Garrus is a good mix of Tali's strengths (though no AI Hacking, which really sucks) and a good Sniper, which is useful since Sniping in this game is ass when you are doing it, and Singularity is very powerful for Liara.

But yeah, complaining about your side characters not being good, when you aren't the one leveling them up and letting the AI do it is kinda backwards, isn't it? No offense.