DVDVR Message Board

MMA Talk.

The Natural

...finally got into the UFC and fought the best they had at the time...

You're right on most points and I'm just nitpicking, but he only fought twice and once was against Bendo who was the champ. and the other was against Sanchez who's not exactly the best they had at the time...

is Cormier the least interesting fighter UFC has? he's undefeated at 13-0 with some big wins (Bigfoot, Mir, Nelson) but gets very little hype and most fight fans that i know don't really seem to care all that much about him.

I think he's one of the most interesting fighters they have. It's a company full of rednecks with identikit shit tattoos. This is a well-spoken man with massively high skill level in a particular discipline. He threw Josh Barnett around like a paper plane, and renowned grappler Frank Mir was helpless against his standing wrestling game. Plus he knocked out Bigfoot which - judging by the Hunt and Overeem fights - isn't exactly easy. If all that isn't interesting, then the UFC is in trouble. 

that's kinda my point.

he clearly has an abundance of skills. he's beaten 4 top 10 heavyweights and is now dropping to LHW and (was) taking on a top 5 guy. how is this not getting more anticipation?

is it a lack of "charisma"? a fighting style that doesn't really seem to be all that exciting? lack of trash talk? i don't get the disconnect here.

Cormier started to fall out of favor with me with the Barnett match where he just decided to coast to a decision.  Then he fights unknown Dion Staring and then comes to the UFC and has his two unexciting fights with Mir and Nelson.  

Why is no one talking about the Korean Bulldozer's UFC debut?

Yui Chul Nam is making his UFC debut at the TUF China Finale against Tokudome.

That's another fight to add to my list of fights I'm looking forward to making it a total of 4 fights now; Makovsky/Sampo and Assuncao/Munhoz at UFC 170, Fili/Holloway at UFC 172 and Chul Nam/Tokudome at TUF China Finale.

I'm also still awaiting for Doo Ho Choi who signed with the UFC last year to make his debut.

Whenever Kyoji Horiguchi's healthy, I'm sure whoever he fights in his move down FLW debut will be another fight to add to my list.

I hope Gilbert goes to Bellator and UFC doesn't match Bellator's offer. UFC is all about their brand and their brand only and they employ a lot of fighters who are 100% about the UFC and not about themselves (Meisha Tate) while others understand the importance of self-branding (Herrig). Perhaps this will force UFC to change. The upcoming outfits is one of the most ridiculous things coming down the UFC pipe.

I hope Gilbert goes to Bellator and UFC doesn't match Bellator's offer. UFC is all about their brand and their brand only and they employ a lot of fighters who are 100% about the UFC and not about themselves (Meisha Tate) while others understand the importance of self-branding (Herrig). Perhaps this will force UFC to change. The upcoming outfits is one of the most ridiculous things coming down the UFC pipe.

Wow.

Doo Ho Choi is expecting to make his UFC debut in May in either the Philippines or in the US.

Considering he's Korean, I'm guessing he makes his debut in the Philippines.

A card in the Phillipines will probably have Munoz involved and if Vera is still on the roster will probably have a spot on the card.

As card as the Quebec City card goes they have added Ryan Jimmo vs. Steve Bosse, feels like a match that would've been on a TKO card in the past.

Neither of those fights sound particularly interesting, FN cards usually get decent main events though so there's still hope they can put on something interesting at least.

Since Ian McCall pulled out of the fight with Brad Pickett, Pickett's now fighting newly signed Neil Seery who's stepping in for McCall on the UFC London card on 3/8.

is Cormier the least interesting fighter UFC has? he's undefeated at 13-0 with some big wins (Bigfoot, Mir, Nelson) but gets very little hype and most fight fans that i know don't really seem to care all that much about him.

I think he's one of the most interesting fighters they have. It's a company full of rednecks with identikit shit tattoos. This is a well-spoken man with massively high skill level in a particular discipline. He threw Josh Barnett around like a paper plane, and renowned grappler Frank Mir was helpless against his standing wrestling game. Plus he knocked out Bigfoot which - judging by the Hunt and Overeem fights - isn't exactly easy. If all that isn't interesting, then the UFC is in trouble. 

that's kinda my point.

he clearly has an abundance of skills. he's beaten 4 top 10 heavyweights and is now dropping to LHW and (was) taking on a top 5 guy. how is this not getting more anticipation?

is it a lack of "charisma"? a fighting style that doesn't really seem to be all that exciting? lack of trash talk? i don't get the disconnect here.

Cormier started to fall out of favor with me with the Barnett match where he just decided to coast to a decision.  Then he fights unknown Dion Staring and then comes to the UFC and has his two unexciting fights with Mir and Nelson.  

I'm sure he's gutted that he fell out of favour with you. ;)

I don't know the ins and outs of Strikeforce matchmaking, but is Cormier to blame for who he gets booked against?

I'm pretty much the only person in the world who liked the fight where Mir got smeared across the Octagon wall. I'm comfortable with that.

Ed Herman vs. Rafael Natal and Nik Lentz vs. Manny Gumburyan at the Cincinatti FN event.

Sean Soriano vs. Estevan Payan on UFC on FOX 11.

Doo Ho Choi will be knocking out Sam Sicilia in a FOTY candidate if Sicilia doesn't crumble early like he did against Rony Jason at UFC 173.