DVDVR Message Board

The Gadgetry Thread

Meh, that line of thinking puts you on the gizmo treadmill forever; why the Samsung S6 comes out next month, and the HTC One M9...but then, yes, the G4 a few months afterwards, might as well check that out too!  And the Google Project Ara!  The iPhone 6S!  

I dunno, I've had my current phone for 3 years, I'm not sure anything coming out in the next 3 months is going to make that much of a difference in my experience, especially since they'll all be at a premium price as new flagship phones.  

Seriously, the OnePlus One was great.  Nuts to Verizon.

If y'all want to show me some techy love....

I'm about to upgrade my old HTC Rezound to a new phone.  I'm on Verizon, currently thinking about the Droid Turbo or LG G3 but am open to any testimonials from my trusted chums at the DVDVR.

One of the fellas in my lab has the OnePlus One and I wish I could get that, it's a beauty, but can't run on Verizon.

I would wait for the S6/One M9 since they'll be out in a month. I understand that there's always something better down the line, but when it's a month away, it's silly to buy one of the aforementioned phones (unless you need the Turbo's battery life).

So close to buying a OnePlus One right now...

I thought I read the camera on that wasn't great, but I could be wrong.

Yeah, I can't pull the trigger on the OnePlus. It seems like a great phone, but the more I read about it, the more it seems like there's an issue of inconsistent build quality. Some people say the camera is great and others say it's shit, which usually means it's shit, unless you get lucky or something. I just can't roll the dice on that.

The Galaxy Note 4 on the other hand can be had for about $500 on eBay, which means it should drop even more in the next couple months.

Nexus 6 FINALLY coming to Verizon on the 18th, only a full four months after the phone was released on the other three major US carriers. Verizon is just the best.

Now I have a decision to make. Prior to the GS6 announcement, I was waiting for the Nexus 6. I also thought it'd have come out in 2014. Since the GS6 announcement, I kinda forgot all about the N6. I still really like stock (or close to it) Android (I've owned the Original Droid, the Galaxy Nexus and the 2013 Moto X) and although it's massive, I really like the N6's screen. However, having a legit good iPhone (or better) quality camera on my phone is really enticing, not to mention that with that processor, the GS6 might be a better performer.

I think if the GS6 had a bigger screen, I'd definitely get that. I think if the N6 had a better camera, I'd definitely get that. I'm so conflicted.

How big do you need a cell phone screen to be? The S6 is plenty big. I'm still on an iPhone 5 with a 4" screen. While I think it's small, it's still an ok size for a cell phone.

It'd be interesting to see the S6 put through the paces.  I want to load it up with a ton of apps, play some memory intensive games and see how it holds up past the benchmark.  Only then could I consider getting this.  If anybody here gets it I'd be very curious to see how it works for you.

How big do you need a cell phone screen to be? The S6 is plenty big. I'm still on an iPhone 5 with a 4" screen. While I think it's small, it's still an ok size for a cell phone.

bigger the better bubba

Nexus 6 FINALLY coming to Verizon on the 18th, only a full four months after the phone was released on the other three major US carriers. Verizon is just the best.

Now I have a decision to make. Prior to the GS6 announcement, I was waiting for the Nexus 6. I also thought it'd have come out in 2014. Since the GS6 announcement, I kinda forgot all about the N6. I still really like stock (or close to it) Android (I've owned the Original Droid, the Galaxy Nexus and the 2013 Moto X) and although it's massive, I really like the N6's screen. However, having a legit good iPhone (or better) quality camera on my phone is really enticing, not to mention that with that processor, the GS6 might be a better performer.

I think if the GS6 had a bigger screen, I'd definitely get that. I think if the N6 had a better camera, I'd definitely get that. I'm so conflicted.

I've had the Nexus 6 for a month or so and I really, really love it.  The size is quite manageable; I have small hands and I can do most things on it one-handed.  The screen is absolutely gorgeous and the size makes reading on the phone much easier and more enjoyable.  The camera is...good enough?  It's fairly shit in low light, but everything else looks great.  I wish it focused a bit faster, but that's a small deal.

I have an LG G2 with a 5.2" screen and can't imagine ever going smaller again. I'm not sure I want a Galaxy Note (5.7") or larger but 5.5" or so would be nice. First thing I thought of when I read how awesome the S6 will be was "Dang, I wish the screen was a little bigger".

Once you've gone to a big screen, you're just not gonna want to go smaller, even a little bit.

OH, nevermind, I thought it was the same screen size or a little bigger since that's the typical trend. I didn't even pay attention to that aspect because making the screen smaller is so against the grain at this point.

I've had the Nexus 6 for a month or so and I really, really love it.  The size is quite manageable; I have small hands and I can do most things on it one-handed.  The screen is absolutely gorgeous and the size makes reading on the phone much easier and more enjoyable.  The camera is...good enough?  It's fairly shit in low light, but everything else looks great.  I wish it focused a bit faster, but that's a small deal.

Good news man. Have you put 5.1 on it yet? I heard that 5.1 improves performance. I just ordered mine today. Going through a Comcast link will get me a $200 gift card. Couldn't pass it up. Phone should get here a week from today or week from tomorrow. I'm stoked. How is your battery life?

Good news man. Have you put 5.1 on it yet? I heard that 5.1 improves performance. I just ordered mine today. Going through a Comcast link will get me a $200 gift card. Couldn't pass it up. Phone should get here a week from today or week from tomorrow. I'm stoked. How is your battery life?

I'm waiting for the OTA of 5.1 so I don't have it yet.  I haven't run into any major problems with 5.0.1 besides it occasionally dropping wifi, and that might be my shitty router.  Battery life is tremendous.  I can go two days of moderate usage and still have 20% or so left.

So it's down to an LG G3 vs a Note 4 for me. The LG G3 is $300 or less on eBay, while the Note 4 is $500 or less. The one thing about the Note that seems really cool to me is the S Pen. Both have a good camera too from what I understand. Brian, you have a G3 that you like, right? Has anyone used a Note 4?

I ended up getting the LG G3 last week and I absolutely love it.  Of course I'm jumping from a 3 year-old Android phone so I'd probably be impressed by anything running something more current than Ice Cream Sandwich, but the screen is big and responsive and the camera takes good, detailed images.  Battery life is great so far, which was a bit of a concern and one of the reasons I had been considered the more expensive Droid Turbo.  The speech-to-text engine is really responsive and finally lets me do some real hands-free work on my phone when I'm driving or otherwise unable to do my crappy thumb-typing.

I'm still waiting for those dicks at Verizon to roll out their Lollipop upgrade but I'm a patient man and have plenty of basic features to learn about on KitKat.  Looking forward to rooting this and playing around with different ROMs and tweaks.

So it's down to an LG G3 vs a Note 4 for me. The LG G3 is $300 or less on eBay, while the Note 4 is $500 or less. The one thing about the Note that seems really cool to me is the S Pen. Both have a good camera too from what I understand. Brian, you have a G3 that you like, right? Has anyone used a Note 4?

I have had a Note 4 since November. I love it, but honestly I don't use the S Pen very much. The camera is very good, though not iPhone level. Battery life is excellent so far. Runs nice and fast on basically everything under kit kat.

I would probably go with the Note 4, but I don't think either is a bad option. FWIW, I think the consensus is that the Note 4 has a superior camera.

I ended up getting the LG G3 last week and I absolutely love it.  Of course I'm jumping from a 3 year-old Android phone so I'd probably be impressed by anything running something more current than Ice Cream Sandwich, but the screen is big and responsive and the camera takes good, detailed images.  Battery life is great so far, which was a bit of a concern and one of the reasons I had been considered the more expensive Droid Turbo.  The speech-to-text engine is really responsive and finally lets me do some real hands-free work on my phone when I'm driving or otherwise unable to do my crappy thumb-typing.

I'm still waiting for those dicks at Verizon to roll out their Lollipop upgrade but I'm a patient man and have plenty of basic features to learn about on KitKat.  Looking forward to rooting this and playing around with different ROMs and tweaks.

While there's still no date, at least there's this: http://www.droid-life.com/2015/03/18/droid-turbo-to-be-updated-straight-to-android-5-1/

And my Nexus 6 is sitting on my porch as we speak. Can't wait to get home from work today to play around with the big guy. I got my case yesterday and put my 2013 Moto X in it for context purposes and WOWZA, that thing is gonna be quite a size difference. Can't wait.

The S Pen seems really cool, but I haven't needed to use a stylus with a phone yet and it's probably something I could continue living without. Only reason why I thought it would be nice would be for doing drawings and sketches instead of taking a little drawing book with me everywhere, which I can't always do. This at least allows me to do that. The question is, is that, and the perks that come with the S Pen, worth $200. If I can also do fine editing to photos, then I guess it might be.

No. The Note seems like a typical galaxy device to me. A friend of mine has one and I've been able to spend some time playing with it. Not as nice and well made as the new Samsung phones getting ready to come out. They seem to have typical Samsung QC issues as well. I would own one no problem personally but no way I'd drop $500 on one.

I've been using my Nexus 6 since Wednesday evening and this thing is fantastic. I love having the big screen. It's so awesome for reading. Also, the camera does a really good job in HDR+ mode (to my eyes, anyway). The battery is good enough for me. On my first full discharge, I got three hours of on-screen time with it off the charger for a full 24 hours. And that was with taking a lot of pictures through HDR+ mode and also spending a few hours in a horrendous cell service area. This thing is wonderful.

• Like 2

Eh, fuck it, I bought it. In the end it cost me $321, which feels pretty goddamn good for an unlocked Note 4. I figured if I don't like it, I could always sell it on Swappa and try an LG G3 instead. Or, if I get off my butt and sell more Magic cards, I could quickly afford an iPhone 6 Plus.