DVDVR Message Board

2015 Non-Event General MMA Talk Thread

Elsalvajeloco

Jeremy Botter @jeremybotter 18m

UFC has hired Eric Winter, former head of http://Rivals.com , to run Fight Pass. Fantastic hire.

Jeremy Botter @jeremybotter 17m

Winters’ title is Senior Vice President and General Manager of Fight Pass.

Speaking of Fight Pass, any news on when we can expect more Pancrase? I think they only have a few fights up at the moment. 

I'm assuming some time around the upcoming show in Japan. Either that or whenever they decide to stream a Pancrase show. In a bit of irony I guess, the 8/9 Pancrase show with Eric Prindle and Mamoru is headlined with a fight involving Will Chope.

When will the Road to Japan stuff be available?

My search has turned up nothing, but I would probably say it might show up on Fight Pass as soon as it is done airing in Japan. They probably have a deal with the Japanese station like they do with Fox where it's not on there right away. The show started exactly three weeks ago in Japan, and there is only eight fighters.

Speaking of potential HW fights, the UFC is targeting Mir vs. Arlovski according to UFC Tonight. That's only been like 10 years in the making.

Also, Bendo still wants to return on the Korea show on 11/28.

Thiago Alves is moving down to 155 and wants to fight again in December.

IF you sign Fedor and he wants to debut early next year, who do you have him fight? They've kinda backed away on the Werdum/Miocic talk and Overeem is waiting for JDS. I expect Cain to get a soft touch on the Houston show. I've seen people say (John S. Nash specifically) that Cain vs. Fedor does nothing for Fedor, but you're not gonna waste Fedor on a non-marquee matchup after you've went through hell and back to sign him. Another thing I'm not expecting him to fight 3 times a year even if they do sign him. I think where Strikeforce went wrong is they went around the fight they wanted to make and tried to incrementally build a guy that was already kinda established at that point. Those two Affliction fights did their job for them. Therefore, it would be stupid to sign him and be like "you fight Jared Rosholt now because the fans need to see who you are". He is not this 23 year old super prospect. People are going to tune into watch because he is who he is.

That's actually a pretty huge opportunity for Mir considering the position Arlovski is in right now.

Thiago Alves moving down to lightweight sounds freaking insane, especially with the IV ban coming up.  I mean let's think about this, he missed weight several times at welterweight and struggled to get down there.  Not only that, he was routinely weighing in at 199 pounds or so on FIGHT NIGHT.  I refuse to believe Thiago Alves can make lightweight.

For Cain, give him Soa Palelei after he Hulk Smashes Bigfoot, or frick, what about Stipe freaking Miocic.  Miocic won ONE freaking fight.  He still lost to JDS.  Why not have him beat Cain to get a title shot?

That's actually a pretty huge opportunity for Mir considering the position Arlovski is in right now.

Thiago Alves moving down to lightweight sounds freaking insane, especially with the IV ban coming up.  I mean let's think about this, he missed weight several times at welterweight and struggled to get down there.  Not only that, he was routinely weighing in at 199 pounds or so on FIGHT NIGHT.  I refuse to believe Thiago Alves can make lightweight.

For Cain, give him Soa Palelei after he Hulk Smashes Bigfoot, or frick, what about Stipe freaking Miocic.  Miocic won ONE freaking fight.  He still lost to JDS.  Why not have him beat Cain to get a title shot?

For his last couple bouts, I don't think Alves has been that big. Now 2008-ish Thiago Alves was a goddamn tank. It was like his upper body was made up of lesser welterweights from the past to make one giant welterweight. I think some of the time off over the last few years has given him a chance to shed some of that muscle. He definitely isn't as defined as he use to be. Now with more drug testing in place, I've already seen some of these guys revert to being normal sized human beings for their height. Alves isn't that tall. Unless he is throwing down Mickey Ds every night, it should be a bit easier to get down to 155 than it was when he was chasing welterweight gold.

So Dana White proving that absolute power isn't a sign of intelligence has felt the need to tell people that pro wrestling is fake.   Apparently someone twitter was wondering why these PPV were so expensive to which he replied "fake Shit should be 9.99"

Listen I am not going to go all "It's Still Real to me Damn It" but given you #1 or #2 box office draw is dedicating her fight to a passed away pro wrestler and that your other #1 or #2 box office draw is basically stealing his stuff from pro wrestling,  he might want to calm down.  

Between this and the cutmen was who fired and "was never his friend", Dana is really making it easy to hate people if he wasn't already

He doesn't care. He cares about making money, which UFC is doing quite nicely at the moment.

He's probably scared of the WWE not because of competition but because Ronda may see it as a nice side gig to acting should she get bored of winning fights in >30 seconds.

It was a smart ass response to a smart ass wrestling fan who said: "I wish I could watch the Rousey fight tmrw night. Vince got you beat there @danawhite. Our PPV's are only $9.99."

Dana's replies are usually garbage and not well thought out but I can't come down on the side of a fan who thinks like this.

• Like 1

Matt Brown/Kelvin Gastelum makes no sense to me.  Gastelum isn't a welterweight.  Dana White said it himself.  IMHO, not fair to Matt Brown.  He deserves better.

Hendo/Vitor III makes no sense to me right now either, but whatever.  It is a rubber match I suppose.  

It's just to keep Hendo happy. You had the Bellator talk but I think that's going to be put to bed in quick order. I think they will try to hold onto to Dan Henderson until he just retires.

At the ripe age of 56, wading in on them young whippersnappers only to bomb them into oblivion with the overhand right.

I like both fights because they should be entertaining as hell. None of those four are immediate title contenders, so fuck it, why not?