DVDVR Message Board

RAW AUGUST 5TH 2013

Fat Spanish Waiter

So you're saying that having fans boo John Cena is an intentional scheme by the WWE as well?  I find that theory incredible.  If you're not saying that, Cena is the only guy getting booed as a face.  Kofi doesn't get booed.  Miz doesn't get booed.  The Miz.

So you're saying that having fans boo John Cena is an intentional scheme by the WWE as well?  I find that theory incredible.  If you're not saying that, Cena is the only guy getting booed as a face.  Kofi doesn't get booed.  Miz doesn't get booed.  The Miz.

The Miz still gets booed. Orton and Sheamus get booed. Now, I think it is in large part due to a strong current group of heel characters, along with their characters being stale or in Miz's case still obnoxious. Still, the point stands that Cena is far from the lone current face hearing mixed reactions, and you have to be conveniently ignoring that fact in trying to make an anti-Cena point.

Did they want Cena to start getting booed in 2005?  Of course not.

Are they perfectly, 100% on board with it now?  Yes, and they have been since at least the HBK feud in 2007, if not further back than that.  He's the top seller in merchandise by a huge margin, crowds are virtually always engaged when he's on tv, and it's a dynamic they never really had before, and they love it.  Clearly and obviously.

I'd say that WWE has been at least "OK" with Cena getting the response he gets going as far back as the Triple H feud in 2006. That was the feud that I think started the crowd split with Triple H cutting that promo where the entire board went nuts over him "burying" Cena about how he couldn't wrestle

The Miz still gets booed. Orton and Sheamus get booed. Now, I think it is in large part due to a strong current group of heel characters, along with their characters being stale or in Miz's case still obnoxious. Still, the point stands that Cena is far from the lone current face hearing mixed reactions, and you have to be conveniently ignoring that fact in trying to make an anti-Cena point.

You're right about Sheamus.  Didn't think about that, but that's probably at least in part because his face run has been Cena 2.0.  I don't really hear Orton get booed, but I don't watch Smackdown any more, and I don't hear anything when Miz is out there.

Nevertheless, Cena gets booed.  He gets booed louder than anyone else on the show in a significant number of cities.  I agree it's partly endemic to the overall entity that is the WWE, and I'm not even willing to blame John Cena the individual.  But John Cena the entertainer, at least given his current (read: of the last seven years, give or take) schtick, is awful, and this is a view shared by a significant chunk of the fanbase, and following wrestling logic (which I don't agree with, but it supports my case here, so why not?), the WWE is going out to less than half the American audience it was before Cena went on top.  As Cena is the top guy, the blame should land at his feet, so it's fair to say that a significant amount of the lost viewers also cannot stand Cena.

Furthermore, what you guys see as "okay with" Cena's mixed reaction, I see as given up.  Especially in bad writing, which the WWE has been for over a decade now, I think it's pretty easy to read the subtext and understand what the author intends to happen, and the subtext in the writing of the John Cena character has never stopped screaming, "please like me."  In fact, I think that subtext is the foremost reason people can't stand Cena.  My favourite moment in the continually desperate attempt to alter reality in the WWE was about a year-ish ago in a Cena vs Punk match when, during the usual "Let's go Cena!" / "Cena Sucks!" chants (that Orton totally gets as well...), Michael Cole announced "The chants of 'Let's go Cena!' being countered by chants of 'CM Punk!'"  It's just pathetic the way the company, both through Cena and through all of the other mouthpieces, try to get Cena over.  If they treated Austin this way, the fans would hate him as well.  Hell, it's the way The Rock got treated before the 98 Survivor Series, and the fans hated him, too.