DVDVR Message Board

DC Comics omnibus thread

odessasteps

9 hours ago, paintedbynumbers said:

I've Been reading the Nightwing series and I agree, not a big fan of what they've done with him.  I'm about 25 or so issues in so maybe it gets better.  

???

not sure if i'm crying from laughing so hard at your idea of it getting better, or weeping at the fact that this Ric storyline IS STILL FUCKING GOING ON.

the Nightwing series was very, very average until he got shot in the head, at which point the storylines grinded to a halt and have been utterly terrible since.

Edited by twiztor
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

It does seem hard to not argue that DC just in general hates(or doesn't know what to do with) the original Teen Titans. The general treatment of Roy(Cry for Justice and Heroes in Crisis), Wally(New 52), Dick(Infinite Crisis, Forever Evil, Ric Grayson), and then the whole general New 52/Rebirth timeline mess with the Titans. 

Deep down I will always have a fondness for Bruce, Dick, and Tim Drake. These were the main crew I grew up reading (Jason as well) and I'd stopped reading for a few years. I've been trying to catch up on stories during the pandemic and while very, very much behind it's pretty crazy to see how Dick has been written in the past 3 years. Also not a fan of Damian Wayne, he comes across far worse than Jason Todd ever was. I will likely go back and read the Red Hood series next.  Was going to try Flash but the switches between Barry and Wally seem confusing. I know Barry died during crisis, Wally took over, but to bring Barry back non chalantly during the New 52 Reboot is strange. 

16 hours ago, Eivion said:

Grayson makes the best of a dumb situation created by Forever Evil while also tying to build off of Morrison's Batman run to an extent. Its fresh and interesting, but nowhere near as amazing as some people felt it was at the time. The best thing Dick has done in the last decade or so really was his run as Batman. Morrison, Snyder, & and co. all did solid-great jobs with him in the role. People otherwise always seem to have trouble figuring out what to do with him as Nightwing. Haven't read the current run, but it all generally sounds terrible and is of course another dumb situation created by a writer who was not even writing Dick at the time. They really need to stop letting such major things occur to characters in events and whatnot by writers who have nothing to do with said character at the moment. Its a big finger to those actually writing them and the fans picking up those characters' books.

I love Dick Grayson's time as Batman written by Grant Morrison especially, Scott Snyder also. Grant Morrison's said that he wanted to write Grayson as Batman and Damian Wayne/Robin for five years. Such a shame we didn't get Grayson under the cowl longer. What we did though, was a highpoint in the history of Batman. Fucking love Grant Morrison's 2006-2013 run on Batman.

13 hours ago, twiztor said:

???

not sure if i'm crying from laughing so hard at your idea of it getting better, or weeping at the fact that this Ric storyline IS STILL FUCKING GOING ON.

the Nightwing series was very, very average until he got shot in the head, at which point the storylines grinded to a halt and have been utterly terrible since.

STILL going on? Fuck. I naively hoped it was over by now.

1 hour ago, paintedbynumbers said:

Deep down I will always have a fondness for Bruce, Dick, and Tim Drake. These were the main crew I grew up reading (Jason as well) and I'd stopped reading for a few years. I've been trying to catch up on stories during the pandemic and while very, very much behind it's pretty crazy to see how Dick has been written in the past 3 years. Also not a fan of Damian Wayne, he comes across far worse than Jason Todd ever was. I will likely go back and read the Red Hood series next.  Was going to try Flash but the switches between Barry and Wally seem confusing. I know Barry died during crisis, Wally took over, but to bring Barry back non chalantly during the New 52 Reboot is strange. 

Flashpoint and The New 52 is so controversial. There were things I liked from it and others I didn't. I certainly prefer the flagship Batman book with Batman and Robin to Batman in DC Rebirth.

23 minutes ago, paintedbynumbers said:

is everything happening now considered Rebirth?  I know DC had the big year of the villain storyline but wasn't sure if it's all still in the same era or not.  Will likely be reading this soon too. 

I'd lean towards saying yes.

19 minutes ago, paintedbynumbers said:

Guys,

what are some good DC titles from 2016-now.  Would love to get up to date on some titles.  Thank you in advance. 

DC: Rebirth One-Shot.

Batman/Flash: The Button.

Doomsday Clock.

Batman Annual #2.

Batman Annual #3.

Batman Annual #4.

Super Sons.

Wonder Woman (Vol. 1): The Lies.

Wonder Woman (Vol. 2): Year One.

Superman (Vol. 1): Son of Superman.

---

DC: Rebirth One-Shot, Batman Annual #3 and Batman: Annual #4 are especially the must reads. Hope that helps.

Edited by The Natural

is everything happening now considered Rebirth?  I know DC had the big year of the villain storyline but wasn't sure if it's all still in the same era or not.  Will likely be reading this soon too. 

Kindof sortof is the best answer you can really get. Rebirth was supposed to last around 1-2 years with Doomsday Clock being its big finish. Unfortunately Doomsday Clock ended up running late and not finishing until the end of last year. Whatever changes were likely planned to solidify ended up not happening properly. Way too many big changes and events have happened since then due to Didio, Snyder, and King.

Guys,

what are some good DC titles from 2016-now.  Would love to get up to date on some titles.  Thank you in advance. 

James Tynion's Detective Comics run was generally solid-good. As were the Superman comics up until the point Bendis came in and took over. New Super-Man was good fun. Aquaman and Green Arrow both saw good runs as well with a long term story being run in each.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, paintedbynumbers said:

Guys,

Batman: White Knight and Curse of the White Knight are both really great deconstructions of Batman.  Probably my favorite interpretation of Harley Quinn and I hope the next DC reboot uses this characterization of her.

• Like 2

Just off the top of my head:

Batman

Doomsday Clock

Mister Miracle

Action Comics (for the most part)/Lois Lane/Jimmy Olsen 

Young Justice/Naomi/Wonder Twins/Dial H for Hero

Justice League Odyssey

Justice League of America (Orlando)

Justice League Dark

Young Animal: Doom Patrol/Shade the Changing Girl/Cave Carson has a Cybernetic Eye (maybe not Mother Panic)

The Harley and Ivy book

Female Furies

YMMV on Deathstroke. It's Priest but it's a tough read every month and I imagine worse all at once. 

10 hours ago, The Natural said:

I'd lean towards saying yes.

DC: Rebirth One-Shot.

Batman/Flash: The Button.

Doomsday Clock.

Batman Annual #2.

Batman Annual #3.

Batman Annual #4.

Super Sons.

Wonder Woman (Vol. 1): The Lies.

Wonder Woman (Vol. 2): Year One.

Superman (Vol. 1): Son of Superman.

---

DC: Rebirth One-Shot, Batman Annual #3 and Batman: Annual #4 are especially the must reads. Hope that helps.

Add Dark Night: A True Batman Story to the must reads.

4 hours ago, Matt D said:

Mister Miracle

Justice League Odyssey

Justice League Dark

YMMV on Deathstroke. It's Priest but it's a tough read every month and I imagine worse all at once. 

I was only thinking of Rebirth when I went through titles earlier, but I would give a thumbs up to these as well. Surprised I forgot about Deathstroke. Also dug the first 2 volumes of The Terrifics that I read a few months back.

• Like 1

So I'm about 40+ in to Nightwing, he is battling the Judge. The storyline is really long and drawn out.  I'd give the series a C grade so far and I am one of the biggest Nightwing/Dick Grayson fans you will find.  For anyone who has read the Red Hood books how do they compare? I read some of the new 52 but none of the Rebirth. 

Rebirth Red Hood is shockingly good, honestly.

The whole Ric Grayson thing is weird to me because I like a lot of the ideas driving it, but don't know how I feel about what I've seen of the execution. Planning to read from the start through the Gray Son arc this week to judge for myself.

Batman: White Knight collects Batman: White Knight #1-8. Sean Murphy is the writer and artist. The Joker is cured of his madness, free from it he wants to take Batman and the Gotham City Police Department on as Jack Napier. I looked forward to the book for Murphy’s work on American Vampire: Survival of the Fittest and Twenty-Seven from Batman: Detective Comics #27 (2014). I really enjoyed the book. We get to experience the Murphyverse where Joker is no longer mad, Napier showing up vigilantism and the system, would it not be better if these forces could be combined into one. Batman is losing himself and support as a result of his actions. Batman, Joker, Harley Quinn are used well.

I appreciated nods to Batman’s now over 80 year existence as a devotee of the character from Batman: The Animated Series (1992-1995), Batman (1989) and The Dark Knight Trilogy (1995, 2008 and 2012). Really good take/spin on Batman: A Death in the Family (1988). I like the top half of Batman’s Batsuit, not keen from the Utility Belt down, too much black. The Murphy Batmobile has grown on me. The book collects the variant covers and character designs. I will definitely read the recent sequel, Batman: Curse of the White Knight.

I was a big comics fan during the 80s and 90s. Every now and again, I like to go back and fill in the gaps from my youth. Mostly stuff I never read. Here's some stuff I've checked in the last six months or so:

V for Vendetta -- nice art. Kind of typically verbose Alan Moore. And I say that as someone who loved From Hell where he is even more verbose. I was simultaneously reading 2000 AD at the same time, so it was interesting comparing Moore's early work to his completed series here. Ultimately, I was on the fence. We're so far removed from Thatcher's England that it didn't quite resonate with me, but overall it wasn't bad.

George Perez' Wonder Woman -- I liked the way that Perez created a mythology surrounding the Wonder Woman character, and a new cast of supporting characters, but ultimately there's a limit to what you can do with the Wonder Woman character. I guess she's like Superman in that sense. Like most of these post-Crisis reboots, the series also suffers when Perez stops doing the art.

Mike Grell's Green Arrow series -- I liked the way this operated outside of the DC Universe like a creator owned title. It had its ups and downs, but I was kind of bummed when Grell grew bored of it. 

Arkham Asylum -- I don't know what sort of rep this has these days, but I thought it was poor. I am a big fan of the work Morrison did on Zenith, Animal Man and Doom Petrol, and Dave McKean was a fantastic cover artist, but to me this was pretty subpar given the pre-Vertigo type mature comics DC was already producing. It sold well at the time because of the Batman hype in the 80s, but I thought it was weak imitation of Frank Miller and Bill Sienkiewicz, to be honest.

The 80s Flash reboot -- This was another 80s post-Crisis reboot with a new supporting cast. Goofy and lightweight (at least after Mike Baron left), but a breezy and enjoyable read. I have read this through to the early 90s and haven't found a reason to stop yet. 

Preacher -- This series got hot after I left comics. I polished it off pretty quickly. I loved the build-up to the final story arc. I dunno if I loved the ending, but it's one of those series where it would be difficult to satisfy everyone with how it finished. 

I'm currently reading Hellblazer (from the start), 100 Bullets and Transmetropolitan. I keep giving up on All-Star Squadron. I guess I don't have much love for Golden Age stories. 

2 hours ago, paintedbynumbers said:

I read they are doing/did a DC Batman book recently where he goes after Azreal one last time. I saw an ad for it and it looks pretty good. It looked like it was due out in April pre Corona and not sure if it was released but it definitely looks like something i'd enjoy. 

Looks like its part of the Sean Murphy's White Knight series. Never read any of it. Didn't even know Azarel was involved in it. Looks like the issue you were seeing ads for was part of the finale.