DVDVR Message Board

DC Comics omnibus thread

odessasteps

Flash Spoilers

Spoiler

Paradox is erased via Zoom saving him before he becomes Paradox. Godspeeds mission erased and some timeline stuff are fixed. Then it's revealed Zoom killed Godspeeds brother and then he snaps Godspeeds neck. And Reverse Flash Family soon.

Anyway Bendis done with Superman soon.  And Nightwing is getting his memories altered again.

On 6/7/2020 at 8:42 AM, ohtani's jacket said:

The 80s Flash reboot -- This was another 80s post-Crisis reboot with a new supporting cast. Goofy and lightweight (at least after Mike Baron left), but a breezy and enjoyable read. I have read this through to the early 90s and haven't found a reason to stop yet. 

From when Loebs took over basically until Johns left, it might be the most consistently good book ever. It wasn't always the best book on the shelves (though for a lot of the Waid run, I'd argue it was) but if was virtually never bad.

On 6/7/2020 at 8:42 AM, ohtani's jacket said:

The 80s Flash reboot -- This was another 80s post-Crisis reboot with a new supporting cast. Goofy and lightweight (at least after Mike Baron left), but a breezy and enjoyable read. 

There was a column on CBR's website a few weeks back about the Baron run.  When Baron left the book, William Messner-Loebs took over as writer.  Messner-Loebs wasn't reading Baron's run, so all he knew about it was what he learned from a couple issues DC sent him.  The thing that interested him most was Wally winning the lottery and becoming a milliionaire superhero.  For some reason, Messner-Loebs felt like this was the first time a superhero had that sort of money and power and decided he'd take the gig and explore Wally's life as a millionaire.

What he didn't know is that Wally lost both his money and his powers in Baron's last issue, so after he accepted the gig, he discovered the stories he was planning to tell were out of continuity now.  Apparently, he was disappointed.

I mean, I don't really understand how Wally West, Superhero Millionaire is unique in a shared universe with Oliver Queen and Bruce Wayne, but it's still an amusing story.

Edited by Doc Townsend

4 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

RIP Denny O’Neil ( a fellow May 3rd birthday)

Fuck! R.I.P. to one of the greats. Co-creator of Ra's al Ghul, Talia al Ghul, the League of Assassins, Crime Alley and Arkham Asylum. Thoughts with O'Neil's family and friends at this sad time xxx.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 3

Detective Comics #1027 to be special edition marking Batman's first appearance in Detective Comics #27:

https://www.dccomics.com/blog/2020/06/11/comics-best-storytellers-honor-batman-in-detective-comics-1027

Biggest selling point to me is Grant Morrison writing a story. The best Batman writer ever. Great Greg Rucka's there. No Paul Dini however, that's a bummer.

Edited by The Natural

Please read this by Chuck Dixon on Facebook about Dennis O'Neil.

If you're a comics fan you need to know this.
When Batman's 500th issue was coming up. Denny O'Neil was under some pressure to make it the premiere issue for the new art team making #499 Jim Aparo's final issue. Denny felt that Jim, who was due to go into semi-retirement, deserved to be on that issue given his decades of hard work and loyalty to DC Comics. Because of Denny, a comics master got to share in the big royalty payday that issue brought in for all who worked on it. Jim went into retirement with the biggest check of his career. 
That's the kind of guy Denny was.

A great Batman writer, editor and by all accounts, a great man. R.I.P.

• Like 2

I'm going to start posting my reviews of Dennis O'Neil's Batman:

The Secret of the Waiting Graves, Detective Comics #395 (January 1970). Story by Denny O’Neil, art by Neil Adams and Dick Giordano. Bruce Wayne is invited to a party by Juan Muerto/Dolores Muerto. This is out of character behaviour so Batman investigates. The Secret of the Waiting Graves was one of the earliest Denny O’Neil stories I read. I right enjoyed it for the story, how O’Neil utilizes words with the great art from Adams and Giordano.

Into the Den of the Death-Dealers, Detective Comics #411 (May 1971). Story by Denny O’Neil, art by Bob Brown and Dick Giordano. Batman is after Doctor Darrk from the League of the Assassins, he along with Talia al Ghul is captured. I remembered I read parts of this before as a flashback in Batman, Incorporated (Vol. 2) #2, an issue dedicated to Talia al Ghul. This story is a good one and done introducing Talia al Ghul.

Daughter of the Demon, Batman #232 (June 1971) written by Denny O’Neil, art by Neil Adams and Dick Giordano. Robin is a captive and Batman’s startled by Ra’s al Ghul in the Batcave, he knows Bruce Wayne is the Batman. Ra’s needs the Detective’s help as Talia al Ghul’s kidnapped. This was a great issue for Ra’s al Ghul’s first appearance, showing Batman’s intelligence, combat forte and Batman saying he was onto them from the start.

Swamp Sinister, Batman #235 (September 1971). Story by Denny O’Neil, art by Irv Novick and Dick Giordano. A corpse is stent to Bruce Wayne’s penthouse by Ra’s al Ghul. Ghul sends Batman and Talia for a laboratory person of his who has taken a poisonous compound. I liked this story, a chase for the deadly drug and the Batman seeing another side to Talia al Ghul.

Edited by The Natural

I've read Death Metal 1. I wrote a big ass post about it, but I deleted it accidentally. So I will spoil some stuff that happens instead via images.

Spoiler

Dark-Nights-Death-Metal-1-spoilers-3.jpg

Tribute to Bill Finger below.

Dark-Nights-Death-Metal-1-spoilers-6.jpg

Dark-Nights-Death-Metal-1-spoilers-10-Wa

Dark-Nights-Death-Metal-1-spoilers-14-Wa

Carrying on my Dennis O'Neil Batman reads...

Vengeance for a Dead Man, Batman #240 (March 1972). The story by Denny O’Neil with Irv Novick/Dick Giordano on art duties. Batman’s case is a dead man with no brain. The brain was taken by Ra’s al Ghul/Talia/the League of Assassins and Batman is aghast. A decent story, feels a turning point as Batman hears Ra’s plans for things.

Bruce Wayne – Rest in Peace! The Lazarus Pit! The Demon Lives Again! Batman #242-244 (June 1972-August 1972 and September 1972. Written by Dennis O’Neil with Irv Novick/Dick Giordano and Neil Adams art. Batman sets out to stop Ra’s al Ghul. This was a great story as Batman recruits help as he doesn’t think he can beat him alone, Batman assuming the Matches Malone identity for the first time, the cliffhanger of Ra’s using the Lazarus Pit, another first and the famous desert fight between the Batman/the Detective vs. Ra’s al Ghul/the Demon’s Head.

The Joker’s Five-Way Revenge, Batman #251 (September 1973) written by Dennis O’Neil and art by Neil Adams. One of the Joker’s thugs betrayed him so he’s out for revenge. This was a really good one and done story as Joker targets his former gang members while Batman’s after him. The art is so well done particularly the two splash pages, Joker behind the wheel in his car and Batman pursuing the Joker. I gather this is a notable story as it restored the Joker as a psychopath murderer.

There is No Hope in Crime Alley, Detective Comics #457 (March 1976) by Denny O’Neil. Batman goes to Crime Alley stopping crime along the way to meeting Dr. Leslie Thompkins. Batman comes as a great splash page acts as a flashback to 21 years ago, his parents were murdered in front of him there. A good story introducing Crime Allie and Leslie to the Batman mythos. Shame Alfred Penny worth is made to look dumb not knowing where or why Bruce Wayne goes on this date.

• Like 1

Finishing up my Dennis O'Neil reviews:

Batman: The Man Who Falls, Secret Origins of the World’s Greatest Super-Heroes (1989) by Denny O’Neil, art by Dick Giordano. The story acts as a overview of young Bruce Wayne discovering the cave, murder of his parents, his training around the world and back in Gotham City fighting crime as the Batman. The first Denny O’Neil story I ever read collected in a miniature book with the deluxe edition of Batman Begins (2005). Said story is with two other “stories that inspired the movie” (direct quote). You can see that. I really enjoyed it, origin stories are a favourite of mine. One of O’Neil’s best books, IMHO.

Batman: Birth of the Demon (December 1992) is written by Dennis O’Neil with Norm Breyfogle’s painted artwork. The co-creator of Ra’s al Ghul, Denny O’Neil tells his origin story. Long before that moniker, he was The Physician to a Sultan. The Physician discovers the Lazarus Pit saving the Sultan’s son’s life only for the latter to kill Ra’s wife, Sora and despite the Sultan witnessing the murder pins it on The Physician. The Physician seeks revenge. A Batman story with little Batman in it makes it count when he does. I really enjoyed finding out Ra’s back story, a memorable fight between the Detective and the Demon’s Head as Talia al Ghul’s loyalties are torn and a visual feast for the eyes from the painted art. When it comes to the best Batman baddies, Ra’s al Ghul is second only to the Joker.

• Like 1

On 6/12/2020 at 6:11 PM, The Natural said:

Detective Comics #1027 to be special edition marking Batman's first appearance in Detective Comics #27:

https://www.dccomics.com/blog/2020/06/11/comics-best-storytellers-honor-batman-in-detective-comics-1027

Biggest selling point to me is Grant Morrison writing a story. The best Batman writer ever. Great Greg Rucka's there. No Paul Dini however, that's a bummer.

0YacY3d.jpg?1

ttcQFOV.jpg?1

Cool one of my favourite writers and artists, Chip Zdarksy is on a Batman story.

Edited by The Natural

Batman: The Dark Knight III: The Master Race #1-9 written by Frank Miller and Brian Azzarello. The book’s illustrated by Andy Kubert. An army from Kandor arrive wanting the Earth’s populace to worship them or else. This brings Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman back into action. I thought it was pretty good. I liked how Batman defeated the Kandor invaders and how Superman/Wonder Woman were used. I didn’t like a development to Batman undoing a part that’s one of the draws to me from The Dark Knight Returns setting.

Dark Knight: The Golden Child written by Frank Miller and drawn by Rafael Grampa. Carrie Kelly/Batwoman, Lara and Jonathan – children to Superman/Wonder Woman battle Darkseid amidst a Presidential Campaign. This was a shitty mess, the only good thing going for it is Grampa’s art. A waste of money. Frank Miller’s Batman books are so mixed, two of the five best ever in Batman: Year One (#1) and The Dark Knight Returns (#5) and three of the worst I’ve read in The Dark Knight Strikes Again, All Star Batman & Robin, The Boy Wonder and this. That’s why it’s difficult evaluating Miller’s placement amongst Batman writers with high highs and really low lows. Same goes for Joseph Michael Straczynski and Dan Slott’s Spider-Man.

This concludes my Frank Miller Batman reading.

2 hours ago, The Natural said:

hey buddy,

been reading the Green Arrow rebirth series. Pretty damn good so far, then I am going with Batman rebirth. Was thinking of reading Batman issue 1 and going through current but damn would it be time consuming and I just re-read Knightfall-Troika   and  all the Morrison stuff already

• Like 2

4 hours ago, paintedbynumbers said:

hey buddy,

been reading the Green Arrow rebirth series. Pretty damn good so far, then I am going with Batman rebirth. Was thinking of reading Batman issue 1 and going through current but damn would it be time consuming and I just re-read Knightfall-Troika   and  all the Morrison stuff already

Glad to hear you are enjoying GA.  Natural would probably tell you skip the Rebirth run as he wasn't a fan of King's Batman. I haven't finished it myself though i can say its been a general mixed bag with some really good-great stuff mixed in with some bad ideas and/or bad execution of solid ideas. I've liked it well enough, but it should have been better. Before you read it though I would suggest checking out Snyder's Batman run first if you haven't read it yet. It comes before the Rebirth run.

Edited by Eivion
  • Thanks 1