DVDVR Message Board

DC Comics omnibus thread

odessasteps

The onyl floppy I have been reading is Detective Comics. Everything else has been via trade through libraries and only Batman remains out of those.

11 hours ago, D.Z said:

Batman Beyond

Does this sell well? I really thought it would have died by now. Still annoyed they killed the book actually based on the DCAU.

26 minutes ago, Eivion said:

The onyl floppy I have been reading is Detective Comics. Everything else has been via trade through libraries and only Batman remains out of those.

Does this sell well? I really thought it would have died by now. Still annoyed they killed the book actually based on the DCAU.

I either read comic books as  singles/floppies or the trades from my library. My library has a great selection, fairly recent also.

Edited by The Natural

3 hours ago, Eivion said:

What book was that?

I forgot to mention one shots and mini series will still happen.

5 hours ago, Eivion said:

There is a new BTAS universe book that was digital only when it started. It may have been reprinted by now, 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, D.Z said:

What book was that?

There used to be a DCAU based Batman Beyond book that started out digitally. Even led to JL book from the same time frame. It noticeably died when they decided to do a main universe version of Batman Beyond. 

• Like 1

Lot of people think there will be a DC relaunch, but Jim Lee said months ago they wouldn't do that. If something's not working out they will just switch up the creative teams like comics used to do. I guess they could use higher renumber gimmick as well.

Also they wouldn't mention removing 27 to 20 percent of the ongoing line for good just to expand the line again. But we will see anyways.

Characters who don't have books will show up here and there like Supergirl.

DC Fandome is soon... so more news will come.

There won't be a relaunch until things a fixed at AT&T/Warnermedia. Even then depending on how long that takes and how things go with their current push we may not see one, or it may take a different form from the usual.

Edited by Eivion

On 8/15/2020 at 7:46 PM, D.Z said:

So far these all the books left for the direct market and the ongoing main universe :

Justice League
Batman
Detective Comics
Batman/Superman
Superman
Action Comics
Green Lantern
Legion of Super-Heroes
Flash
Wonder Woman
Catwoman
Nightwing
Justice League Dark
Aquaman
Batman Beyond
Red Hood
Maybe JSA.

List doesn't count Ogns, digital, other lines, out of canon books.

Am I reading this right?  The main DC line consists of less than a dozen and a half titles?   I had no idea things were this bad.

I sorta follow comics but not much.  Haven't been to the lcs in several years and I don't follow industry news, aside from following CBR on Twitter.  I figured the line was pared down, and read that it was going to be downsized further, but I.m still stunned.  I kinda thought the number was still... 50?  70?  I dunno.  Whatever is was around the time of New 52.

So basically, if you want to write for DC, you better want to write the Big Three or maybe GL or Flash?  Is that the gist of it?  That seems like a real stifling creative environment to work in.  I can't imagine many projects for secondary characters are going to get the go-ahead.

AT&T doesn't want DC to do characters that can't sell monthly ongoings much anymore or ever. They were producing more main ongoings..27 or so titles until this cull.

They also want smaller line and less people in creative so the line actually will be profitable for this decade. While also shifting more focus on OGN's and digital.  We do live in the western world where print has been shrinking and will shrink more this decade.

Also the rise of Manga effect comics too.

• Like 1

Yeah, I just had no idea the DC line had contracted that much.  If someone had asked me this morning how many monthlies DC was publishing, I would have guessed 50 or 60.

How many books does Marvel still publish?  I don't hear about much beyond the X-books, Cap, Spencer's Spidey, Aaron's Avengers. Thor, Immortal Huilk, a few others.  Hickman's X-Men is the only thing I'd read lately, but I'm only keeping up with the title(s) he scripts.

That series ended in 2019.

Anyway in recent JL issue... inserts in more old continuity. Barry's death, his return, Supermans long hair era, pre crisis black mercy stuff, the proper Blackest Night. And Zero Year Batman origin, Golden Age Wonder Woman.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, D.Z said:

That series ended in 2019.

Anyway in recent JL issue... inserts in more old continuity. Barry's death, his return, Supermans long hair era, pre crisis black mercy stuff, the proper Blackest Night. And Zero Year Batman origin, Golden Age Wonder Woman.

Zero Year Barman origin? Boo. Don't get me wrong, I right enjoyed Zero Year though the middle chapter brought it down. To me, Batman: Year One will always be the origin story of Bruce Wayne/Barman and James Gordon. It's also the best Barman story of all time.

• Like 1

I'm fine with Zero Year.

Other DC news:

Dick is Nightwing again in several upcoming books. Tim is the only Robin now. Wally will be redeemed in Speed Metal.

Hypertime is broken, still some loose continuity (things not matching plus the Death Metal universe is basically its own reality now) but the end of Death Metal will sort it out.

59 minutes ago, D.Z said:

I'm fine with Zero Year.

Other DC news:

Dick is Nightwing again in several upcoming books. Tim is the only Robin now. Wally will be redeemed in Speed Metal.

Hypertime is broken, still some loose continuity (things not matching plus the Death Metal universe is basically its own reality now) but the end of Death Metal will sort it out.

Do they act as though Damian never existed? Hopefully they explain where Tim was/how he came back. 

2 minutes ago, paintedbynumbers said:

Do they act as though Damian never existed? Hopefully they explain where Tim was/how he came back. 

Damian is giving up his Robin id. Tim stars in Young Justice (getting axed soon) and changed his codename to Drake. But will revert back to his original Robin persona soon.

• Like 1

Zero Year over the Year One origin is just wrong to me. I assume its because of Snyder and maybe trying to not age Bruce up too much with James Jr. being so young during it. 

Damian giving up the Robin id is weird.

• Like 1

The 5G timeline before it was partially scrapped would have year one happen but very early in the past after JSA disbands.  There are rumors of 5G imprint now, another but real future of DC (with more history). Not exactly the same idea anymore but seems closer to what Didio wanted DC to be before they got rid of him.

10 hours ago, D.Z said:

I'm fine with Zero Year.

Other DC news:

9 hours ago, D.Z said:

Damian is giving up his Robin id. Tim stars in Young Justice (getting axed soon) and changed his codename to Drake. But will revert back to his original Robin persona soon.

Glad Dick Grayson's back as Nightwing.

Tim Drake had it rough in the The New 52.

Be interesting to see what happens to Damian Wayne and the direction he goes in.

Good luck trying to salvage Wally West after Heroes in Crisis. Only good thing about it was the art.

If I booked the Batman books:

Bruce Wayne/Batman in Gotham City and around the world.

Bring back Dick Grayson as Batman or second choice, as Nightwing with Damian Wayne's Robin in Gotham City and around the world. Such a great partnership.

Tim Drake as Red Robin or back with Bruce Wayne.

Grant Morrison begins his second Batman run after his 2006-2013 epic.

Batwoman gets a good book again. Haven't been able to say that since Blackman/Williams III left due to DC's editorial interference.

A book like Gotham Central again.

Give Tom Taylor Detective Comics as Morrison's on the flagship Batman book.

Barbara Gordon as Oracle.

Edited by The Natural