DVDVR Message Board

Your Favorite Wrestler and Why

Such a good wrestler. His IC runs were awesome, the tag team with Booker was a lot of fun...His return run has been so big for me that it's a little frustrating that it's been reduced to weird promos with his brother. Let them do that and then also wrestle constantly. 

Whom would they wrestle, though? They beat Rybaxel something like three times straight. The Wyatts have been busy chasing the titles. And there are no other heel tag teams in the WWE.

I was just expressing some sad that Goldust isn't in the ring killing it right now, not planning a fantasy booking 6 month plan, but since WWE has provided me with an answer to this question, my answer is 'Angry Black Freebirds.'

Plus if they don't take a break from that little room to eat they're probably going to get sick. 

Sami Zayn is quickly becoming a permanent favorite, too. I really loved El Generico from the first PWG show I saw him wrestle in, and the realization that there was this astoundingly charismatic guy under that the mask of a character that could already make you seriously commit to caring was pretty great. I can't think of a better babyface underdog than 'nice hardworking dude who loves punk ska that is also good at fighting.'  

Yeah, JR delivers the goods.  All I knew of the Sheepherders was their run as the Bushwhackers, so nothing at all like these crazy heels (which is kind of why I thought his pick for favorite wrestlers was WAAAAAAAAY out of left field).

What would you say are some quality matches of them to look up?

I think the Sheepherders have two runs that really stand out to me: as part of Buddy Rose's Army in Portland, and being a sort of Ur-Deathmatch team in Puerto Rico. The best stuff on YouTube is probably the match against the Invaders.

Savage is the answer.

But I frickin' loved TAKA Michinoku. I of course watched him in ECW, stayed up super late to watch him on Shotgun, watched quite a lot of his stuff in M-Pro. Can't speak to his promos, but he did everything pretty damned well. Great worker, tons of charisma (heel especially, but he was a fine face as well) and did all the little things right. I'm sure my TAKA love is outsized but I don't give a shit. For a while there he was quite possibly the best worker in the WWF. They didn't use him worth a damn, but that's life.

EDIT to add a bit more: Imagine if he'd signed to WCW instead of WWF. TAKA/Rey, TAKA/Psic, even more TAKA/Ultimo, TAKA/JL and on and on. What could have been....

• Like 2

I'll second JR's vote for the Sheepherders in Portland... I was at the taping where they debuted; they had a big map of the US on the wall and were pointing out territories with "And then we came here and we beat them all bloody... Then we went here and beat them all bloody... Now we're here and do you know what we're gonna do? We're going to beat them all bloody!"

Anyone who only knows them through their work in WWF has missed one of the best tag-teams of all time. They (like the Wyatts today), weren't so much about capturing the gold as they were about fucking people up.

Yeah, JR delivers the goods. All I knew of the Sheepherders was their run as the Bushwhackers, so nothing at all like these crazy heels (which is kind of why I thought his pick for favorite wrestlers was WAAAAAAAAY out of left field).

What would you say are some quality matches of them to look up?

Check out their matches with the Fantastics, both UWF and NWA. Their 6-man barbed wire cage match is a must-see, of only to marvel at it being shown on free TV.

I concede that I may be wrong because Wikipedia says:

"In 2010 JADAT Sports Inc. bought all the footage of SCW and Texas All Star from Ronnie Martinez. They have released a DVD "Best of the 80s Volume I" which contains mostly SCW footage. Available at MVD entertainment.com."

Web Conn, I am a long-time Booker T fan too. I used to watch Saturday Night with my grandma, who loved Harlem Heat at the time. I did too, and Booker winning the gold off Jeff Jarrett at BATB 2000 is still one of my favorite wrestling moments ever. I really loved your post. 

Stan Hansen because he always made me buy into everything being real. He seemed like a character but he didn't seem like an unrealistic character...more like a nutjob that you might accidentally run into in public & regret it. It helps that he has an awesome résumé of great matches too. Plus, he's a big dude & I've always been a big guy, so it was easier to relate to.

• Like 1

Stan Hansen because he always made me buy into everything being real. He seemed like a character but he didn't seem like an unrealistic character...more like a nutjob that you might accidentally run into in public & regret it. It helps that he has an awesome résumé of great matches too. Plus, he's a big dude & I've always been a big guy, so it was easier to relate to.

Pfffft, whatever, dude. Stan Hansen was your favorite wrestler because you didn't want him to ever find out that he wasn't out of fear of him coming to your house and lariating you to the Bronze Age.

I mean, nothing wrong with that. I like him for the same reason.

• Like 1

I have to go with Austin. I followed his entire career from USWA to WWE, and there was never a point I wasn't a huge fan of his. I love long haired tv champ Stunning Steve, I thought the Dangerous Alliance was the greatest thing since the Flair,Arn,Tully and Barry Horsemen. I was a huge ass Hollywood Blondes mark, and their alliance with Windham was my favorite thing at that time.

I thought he was the sure fire next Flair then Hogan comes along and Austin is jobbing to Jim Duggan "wtf" I thought. Then Austin turns up in ECW cuts some money promos, buries WCW and looks like the most charismatic guy in wrestling. Yeah the Ringmaster was a shitty gimmick, but Austin's work was still great. Then we get the kotr promo shortly followed by calling out Bret which lead to two of the best singles matches in WWE history, and my personal favorite feud of all time.

We all know what Austin did at the height of his popularity, but it was the admittedly ill advised heel turn in 2001 that lead to his best in ring year ever. There are other guys I'd consider like Flair, Funk, Savage, Bret and Windham, but Austin is the one who's career I followed in real time start to finish.

• Like 2

Stan's older and he's blind. Could probably only get you to the iron age now.

His fat wife runs behind him and delivers a second lariat.  That's what gets you back to the stone age.

Then the 9 successive lariats from his brats that he has to feed send you back to the Jurassic age.

• Like 1