DVDVR Message Board

A DRAGON AGE THREAD

RIPPA

You can easily pick it up, let the boy play Pokemon while you kill some Dragons in awesome 1080p. That's mostly what I do...

(I also add in the DisneyShorts feed from YouTube on my phone to keep my daughter occupied with Mickie Mouse)

My copy should get delivered today.  Kinda wishing it was a bit later, because I don't really have time to play it before Friday, and it's just gonna sit there tempting me. 

Of course, I've got 12 days off work after Friday, so I should hopefully get to play a some in between a thousand things that need to be done around the house.

If you'd like, I did some multiplayer the other day and can help get you going on it?

My copy should get delivered today.  Kinda wishing it was a bit later, because I don't really have time to play it before Friday, and it's just gonna sit there tempting me. 

Of course, I've got 12 days off work after Friday, so I should hopefully get to play a some in between a thousand things that need to be done around the house.

If you'd like, I did some multiplayer the other day and can help get you going on it?

This copy is on PS4.  I might get another for the 360 for multi-player after a bit.

On one hand, picking up ore and plants keeps you traipsing about.  On the other hand, why am I personally harvesting all my own common resources?  Can't I send out faceless hordes of Age of Empires workers to do that shit?

If you set AI to follow itself then that will keep ranged characters from rushing into the fray.  That was a bigass problem for me.  I'd try and set Varric and the mage over on two separate hills and they'd run over to where me and the warrior lady are hauling off at as soon as I wasn't babysitting them.

• Like 1

I was thinking the same thing. Waiting for the "No! You fucking game!" moment.

I don't think it's coming, because I have no expectations for the finish of the game. And even if I don't like the ending,it's not a "5 years of build wasted" thing. This game reminds me much more of Mass Effect 2 then 3 honestly. I'm not expecting the epic ending ME2 brought, just a continued build.

Anyway, if that is how it's gonna go, it will be a while. I'm at 22 hours played, and haven't done a main story mission in a solid 9-10 hours of it.

EDIT: amusingly, checking the dragon age reddit, there are already threads saying that they hated the ending.

On one hand, picking up ore and plants keeps you traipsing about.  On the other hand, why am I personally harvesting all my own common resources?  Can't I send out faceless hordes of Age of Empires workers to do that shit?

If you set AI to follow itself then that will keep ranged characters from rushing into the fray.  That was a bigass problem for me.  I'd try and set Varric and the mage over on two separate hills and they'd run over to where me and the warrior lady are hauling off at as soon as I wasn't babysitting them.

Thank you for this, I was playing last night and my archer and mage kept getting caught in the fray.  I remember there being more AI options in the past games, and when I saw that they were limited in this one I kind of ignored them.  I just figured they weren't that important to the gameplay.

With that said, I've had a hard ass time turning this game off.  I swear that I told myself that I was going to play until 9:00 and 11:15 I had to force myself to turn the game off.  There is just so much to do, and something interesting around every corner that it just keeps me chugging along. 

You basically mirror me. I am fully aware this game is far from flawless, with the AI's tendency to jump straight into things with ranged characters (though to be a little fair, a lot of the time is people going straight after them and them not getting the hell out of the way as opposed to them charging in), and the crafting system while detailed is taking me a while to learn. I'm planning on spending a lot of time today just trying to learn as much as I can about it. Also, from the sounds of it, the game flat doesn't work as a keyboard and mouse PC game, which is getting them flack.

But I think the strengths so far just severely outrank the weaknesses. The combat is still fun IMO, the world feels gigantic and you are constantly running into things to do, and the political/religious stuff in the game has added more depth to your character and those around you then I've seen before. Nobody is one note to me. It's just a very entertaining game that it's easy to lose yourself in.

• Like 1

A warning that I saw that bares repeating. If you are playing this game and not advancing the story even a little bit, your doing yourself a disservice. If you start doing other things outside of the Hinterlands, you can return at any time. I recommend at least going to Val Royeaux, it opens up the plot a bit.

• Like 1

I went to that swamp area with the zombies.  I was killing the first couple of monsters.  Then they sent a group that just annihilated my party.  Just kinda fucking around 'til I can really cat-ass it this weekend.

Its hard not to do the many side quests when they are right in front of you. I did do Val Royeaux at least. Thinking I might continue on with the meeting with Fiona next as I would like my last two companions.

That's fair, and this is more intended for people who would complain about boring side quests or the game feels slow, and hen in the same breath say they are trying to finish everything in the Hinterlands first. Maybe, you know, advancing the plot and unlocking new areas would be good for those people.

Also, takes away some of the challenge from other areas of the game.

If they say it's not a lot of challenge...there's a dragon with almost 100k HP in the Hinderlands I'd like them to meet

And the one in the Storm Coast that had Bull going, "BOSS! That's BADASS! Tell me we're going to fight her." Me: "Bull, we're all like level 5, STFU."

A few minor spoilers about things from the war table.

You can get a letter from Sebastian Vael, indicating he finally got off his ass and took back Starkhaven.

Apparently Kirkwall thought it would be a great idea to make BRAN the Viscount. I lol'd for hours.

If the person was a character in a previous game, there is a 75% chance they will show back up. Cullen mentioning Samson blew my mind.

I'm a level 9 and may or may not have chose one side over the other in a civil war. 

I chose the mages over the templars, mainly because I'd rather have super magical beings that may or may not go crazy than dudes with swords who may or may not be overbearing assholes.

I decided to do the Keep since I know I will eventually play this game.

I am some what pleased that Origin had somehow saved all my shit in the cloud - so, despite deleting all my saves, I can remember what the fuck I did in Origins.

I am going to freely change my shit in DA2

EDIT - nevermind. I am an idiot

Are there any (serious) reviews around for the last gen consoles? I just checked Metacritic and there is no "critics" review for the PS3 version listed yet, just a couple of user reviews (that all in unison gave horrible scoring due to game breaking bugs).