DVDVR Message Board

A DRAGON AGE THREAD

RIPPA

Just put in my pre-order. This will actually be the first game I get in a fully digital format (getting it through the PlayStation Store rather than waiting for the Exchange over here to get it).

I hope this is as awesome as it looks.

More niggling complaints: 

No second weapon loadout.  That means you can't have a bow at the ready.

Can't turn on gamepad within the actual game.  Have to exit all the way back to main menu to switch.  It changes most of the UI so it's almost understandable.  Still shit.

D-pad doesn't work in menus.

Turn meshes up to high to get rid of that shitty ultra shiny hair.

Doesn't seem to be a way to fast travel within Haven.  I was way out in the wilderness jumping around on shit and wanted to go back to the camp.  Had to walk back.  It's petty but so is Tom.

My quick notes, based on playing way too long when I have an early shift the next day.

-I had played all the way through the prologue before I realized my EA Origim account wasn't connected and hadn't pulled my Keep data over. I had to move my email address on my xbox live account and re-do my keep, but I got it fixed, and caught up. You can tell the difference in content and context.

-So, the graphics for 360... They look sharp, but you can tell this is built for consoles who can take the frame rate easier. Some things kinda just pop up on you on the ground (not an actual fighting issue so far, just decoration), but the bigger problem had been character models in cutscenes can seem off. When the system catches up it looks great, it just takes a touch too long for it to not be noticeable. Might just be my system being wore down though.

-Bright side, the combat system is strong, and I think the utilization of pausing the map and moving time with the right trigger and stopping quickly is a beautiful touch. Feels like a pretty great middle ground between the past 2 games.

-Bioware characters are still Bioware characters. It took very little time to realize I was gonna love Solas, who feels incredibly interesting just through the prologue. Varric was not one if the problems of the last game, and stays strong here, and his banter with Cass is pretty great.

-I could,literally just sit in the bar and listen to the Bard sing for a good long while. So nice.

The shiny hair is bothering me. And I had one freeze last night though I suspect that it was my system's fault.

Otherwise I have enjoyed what little I've played a good deal. You can already get a sense of how massive it is just playing a bit in the Hinterlands.

The shiny hair is bothering me. And I had one freeze last night though I suspect that it was my system's fault.

Otherwise I have enjoyed what little I've played a good deal. You can already get a sense of how massive it is just playing a bit in the Hinterlands.

Heck, just going through Haven gives you an idea. The graphics thing is bothering me a touch (I wasn't expecting amazing, but I wasn't expecting characters looking half completed through entire cut scenes either. Hopefully it will get better), but I'm not so naive as to think I'm still not going to really enjoy this game. I already love what I've gone through other then that.

A couple notes that I don't think would be called spoilers. If anyone has a problem, I apologize

-So... Am I the only one that kinda wishes you could romance Harding?

-I am LOVING the religious aspects in this game. It adds a definition of character development to YOUR characters that doesn't exist most of the time.

-Also, getting into a serious discussion with Solas about my Dalish upbringing was really interesting as well. If they keep going with stuff like that, this gonna is going to be a favorite for a long time.

• Like 1

I've been hanging around Bioware's DAI forums the last few months and can safely say you are not alone on Harding.

And I'm completely with you on the religious aspects, I'm loving the discussions about Elves in general with Solas. Barely in and you can already see a nice bit of depth that I'm not sure even the books were able to get into let alone the previous games.

Despite wanting to play it - getting burnt so horrifically on the DA2 pre-order.

I am flat out refusing to play this until at least Xmas time

Yeah I am absolutely waiting for the impressions of other people (including but not limited to the DVDVR crew) before I plunge in on this game.

Honestly I'm sure I can wait for legendary/"now we'll just give you all those pre-order bonuses in a lump for a little extra $" edition in about a year.

And besides, I don't have a next-gen console yet (and plan on staying with PC this go-around) anyway

Okay, made a good deal of progress yesterday, and have today off so will be making progress. Thoughts so far about 10 hours in.

The main story angle at this moment seems kinda clear to me at the moment, from what I've seen, though there is still plenty of room for twists and turns.

HEAVY SPOILERS OF ABOUT 10 HOURS IN

It appears the Templars have started using Red Lyrium, which would explain the 180 of there order. The Mages aligning with Tevinter (seemingly against there will) sets up two natural enemies, with a goal of finding and freeing the ones who think there side is going too far. Signs point to Tevinter being the one responsible for the Breach, but this early in the game, I doubt we've seen the real villain yet, and that's just a red herring

Just a warning to those coming, this game is slooooowwwww paced. 10 hours in and I don't think I've gotten to the meat yet. Exploration is most of the fun. You'll get your money's worth here, and the actual graphics problem I have has slowed.

Kinda wishing I went Archer though. Sera is more fun to play as then my character is.

I'm still running around the Highlands with my initial crew. Though thankfully Varric is a fast little dwarf, cause we went Fade Rift hunting and a rage demon set my team on fire. Varric outran those bastards and the team didn't die (which is good because I forgot rule number 1 with RPGs...save every hour)

I'm still running around the Highlands with my initial crew. Though thankfully Varric is a fast little dwarf, cause we went Fade Rift hunting and a rage demon set my team on fire. Varric outran those bastards and the team didn't die (which is good because I forgot rule number 1 with RPGs...save every hour)

This is exactly what happened to me when I stumbled across a dragon very early in the game.  We came out of a mountain path and a massive fireball flew across the screen and instantly killed everyone but Varric.  I took Varric and ran for the protection of the path with fireballs exploding behind me the entire time, and just made it before my entire party was incenerated.

Glad to see most here our enjoying it. And yeah avoids dragons for a good long while. I think you need to be at least lv 12 and they are kind of super bosses who you have to whittle down over time in battle. There is the joy of limb damage that does affect them in fights.

My copy should get delivered today.  Kinda wishing it was a bit later, because I don't really have time to play it before Friday, and it's just gonna sit there tempting me. 

Of course, I've got 12 days off work after Friday, so I should hopefully get to play a some in between a thousand things that need to be done around the house.