DVDVR Message Board

MARCH WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

So don't go to the shows? If the shows with Bryan, Wyatts, Shield, Cesaro, etc.. are SO AWFUL... 

What straw man argument? 

Do I need to go back through the last few weeks and read your 100+ posts on the matter or will this work as an adequate example?

I want consistency. If people want to complain about backstage politics go ahead and start with Punk. 

You want consistency from thousands of wrestling fans spread out across the country arena to arena?  Why? 

I just can't feel too bad about any worker getting over on Vince.  My brain won't allow me to adopt any opinion on this where the big bad wrestler is taking unfair advantage of him (except maybe in a slashfic way...but that's for another part of the internet).

He lies and sweet talks and bullies dudes into taking less than they are worth all the time.  He plays on their "loyalty" and "love of the business" or just their fear of never getting the big spotlight again.

Two wrongs...blah blah.  But it's not two wrongs.  It's 17000 wrongs by one guy vs. a few dozen times he's been well played.

Hell, I half way imagine Vince's internal reaction to all this isn't any more than "Well...someone is actually knows how to play the game a little?  Well alright then.  It's been awhile.  But let's do this."

• Like 5

I just can't feel too bad about any worker getting over on Vince.  My brain won't allow me to adopt any opinion on this where the big bad wrestler is taking unfair advantage of him (except maybe in a slashfic way...but that's for another part of the internet).

He lies and sweet talks and bullies dudes into taking less than they are worth all the time.  He plays on their "loyalty" and "love of the business" or just their fear of never getting the big spotlight again.

Two wrongs...blah blah.  But it's not two wrongs.  It's 17000 wrongs by one guy vs. a few dozen times he's been well played.

Hell, I half way imagine Vince's internal reaction to all this isn't any more than "Well...someone is actually knows how to play the game a little?  Well alright then.  It's been awhile.  But let's do this."

I assume most people who are anti punk on this are either against him for sort of screwing the boys if this hurts business or by screwing Bryan if he takes what they felt would be his main event spot (Which was probably really unlikely anyway).

Punk has played the whole thing like a dream, completely stepping on Bryan's heat in the process. Make no mistake, the guy's a political player on the level of all the internet baddies. I wouldn't care but for the fact that so many of his fans seem to feel he's been hard done by. If it just leads to the uninterested CM Punk of the last 8 months then what's the point? Really, without getting too into armchair booking mode, the best way to salvage this would be to have Punk win the title, go corporate and then have Bryan chase, but as someone already said, I get the impression Punk cares too much about his "voice of the voiceless" persona to go suit and tie. I'm still just equally impressed and pissed off that he managed to somehow take a good chunk of Bryan's post-Rumble heat and put it on himself. What a hero. 

• Like 3

I don't get the right/wrong or good/bad of this.  It's wrestling.  If he manipulates the company to get more out of them than they wanted to give him, either from a money or booking standpoint...he wins.

This is the most Machiavellian business outside of the mob.  What I like about Punk's thing now is that it's one of the few times we see that everyone is up for grifting.  Everyone from the regular marks, to the smarks who are now being used for leverage (I guess, if that's a thing that can happen), to the "loyal workers" who are being used on the other side, to HHH and even Vince themselves who are having their egos goaded and are trying to be grifted into thinking one guy is worth more to them that he probably is.

It's pretty fantastic.  Every single person in this is a mark or potential mark on some level, including Punk who may be way overplaying the support he thinks is out there, or just marking out for his own self image as the guy who swerves the business every few months.

...so basically WWE = the whole plot of American Hustle? I can buy that. 

Really, without getting too into armchair booking mode, the best way to salvage this would be to have Punk win the title, go corporate and then have Bryan chase, but as someone already said, I get the impression Punk cares too much about his "voice of the voiceless" persona to go suit and tie.

Yeah, I think this covers it. Punk isn't Triple H scheming for the top and being the biggest social climber in the business in order to get himself into a position of power. Punk is more like Bret Hart: delusional about what he means to wrestling and the fans and wanting to "protect himself" because he's a hero, except instead of Bret being a hero to kids and the country of Canada, Punk is a hero to disaffected teens and twentysomethings that are mad at the establishment for their not having a girlfriend or a car or their own apartment or what-have-you.

So Triple H is like Becky Sharp, but Punk is more like Baron Munchausen.

• Like 2

Or we just really are annoyed by his bitchy little fans

It's not bad here just everywhere else

I actually like watching Punk wrestle but I'm at the point now I never want these people to be happy again

Why would you go elsewhere?

I assume most people who are anti punk on this are either against him for sort of screwing the boys if this hurts business or by screwing Bryan if he takes what they felt would be his main event spot (Which was probably really unlikely anyway).

So it's sort of a "Those guys with collective bargaining rights make more money than me!  Obviously the answer is to get rid of collective bargaining rights"

God...I hate typing this because "Don't hate the playa hate the game" is so played out.  But it's not Punk's fault that this is how the business works.  And him just taking it like the other boys wouldn't change that.

It is what it is.  Bryan can learn that side of things or he can languish.  There is literally nothing Punk can do to change how Vince runs things and him "backing off" to give Bryan room isn't going to work.  It's just going to remind Vince that he is the only shark in the guppy tank. 

They shit on Reigns/Wyatt last week on RAW... 

Edit: Beat me to it.

1. That match kinda sucked.

2. "THEY" shit on... wait, you mean that one crowd in that one city?  Bray still gets Husky chants at times, but it's not a "they" it just some dumb asses.

3. You are still dense and that is still a straw man.  Seriously, you just said if "shows with BRYAN AND CESARO ETC are so awful".  WHICH NO ONE HERE IS SAYING.  Then you ask what straw man?  LOL.

Edit:  Just to get your eventual "Not here, but other places" response out of the way... Keep in mind that you aren't posting or arguing with people from somewhere else, and attempting to discuss this topic at length on THIS board while arguing against talking points from somewhere is.. well.. a straw man.

Or we just really are annoyed by his bitchy little fans

It's not bad here just everywhere else

I actually like watching Punk wrestle but I'm at the point now I never want these people to be happy again

Why would you go elsewhere?

It leaks into my regular shit. Facebook, conversations with normal people, etc. I don't go to other wrestling message boards don't worry

Punk has played the whole thing like a dream, completely stepping on Bryan's heat in the process. Make no mistake, the guy's a political player on the level of all the internet baddies. I wouldn't care but for the fact that so many of his fans seem to feel he's been hard done by. If it just leads to the uninterested CM Punk of the last 8 months then what's the point? Really, without getting too into armchair booking mode, the best way to salvage this would be to have Punk win the title, go corporate and then have Bryan chase, but as someone already said, I get the impression Punk cares too much about his "voice of the voiceless" persona to go suit and tie. I'm still just equally impressed and pissed off that he managed to somehow take a good chunk of Bryan's post-Rumble heat and put it on himself. What a hero.

I don't think corporate Punk works. I think he is better off as a narcissistic heel who is insanely jealous of Daniel Bryan and worried that Bryan is taking over his spot as the "voice of the voiceless". If he can't get his dream of main-eventing Wrestlemania, then he is going to make sure that Daniel Bryan isn't going to get his dream of a fair match for the title. Punk should belittle fans for being a "bunch of spastic sheep" moving their arms while chanting "yes" when they should have been clamoring for CM Punk to have another year-long title reign.

• Like 1

1. That match kinda sucked.

2. You are still a dense and that is still a straw man.  "THEY" shit on... wait, you mean that one crowd in that one city?  Bray still get's Husky chants at times, but it's not a "they" it just some dumb asses.

3.  Seriously, you just said if shows with BRYAN AND CESARO ETC are so awful.  WHICH NO ONE IS FUCKING SAYING  What Straw Man?  LOL.

No, the match was fine. You said yourself "hey, the fans are tired of seeing the same old shit, they want to see Punk.."  Are the Wyatts and The Shield and Cesaro the same old shit? Is there not enough on this show to enjoy? If it comes down to these people wanting Punk to be John Cena..... it's never going to happen and should not happen.

I don't hate Punk for "playing the game"...  I hate his bitchy fans who have no problem with Punk playing the game but would lose their shit if it was anyone else (and have many times).

How many of the actual chanters are actually that into Punk, and how many of them are either people who just love "being in the know" or who think they are totally bonding with the workers!!! Or are just straight up trolls who look for the meme of the day?

I don't think corporate Punk works. I think he is better off as a narcissistic heel who is insanely jealous of Daniel Bryan and worried that Bryan is taking over his spot as the "voice of the voiceless". If he can't get his dream of main-eventing Wrestlemania, then he is going to make sure that Daniel Bryan isn't going to get his dream of a fair match for the title. Punk should belittle fans for being a "bunch of spastic sheep" moving their arms while chanting "yes" when they should have been clamoring for CM Punk to have another year-long title reign.

I get what you're going towards, but it just feels like I've seen Punk whine for respect while holding the WWE title before.  Evolve or die.