DVDVR Message Board

Destiny

Big Fresh

JT, the vault did the same thing to me the first time I ran it.  Phil has a lucky horseshoe up his ass or something, that's probably the most stuff I've seen anybody get.  

It just requires subsequent play throughs to acquire the good shit.

I'm definitely interested in trying my luck again, but I can't see that being a weekly thing for me.  I think we'd all hate each other by Christmas.

I quit dragon raids in EQ and subsequently quit EQ altogether because I actually wanted to stay friends with some of the awesome folks I met online through the game. 

The pursuit of virtual real estate does weird things to people.

I dont know how you could play with all the yelling and swearing.

I have done the endgame raiding thing before over two decades or so in over a half-dozen mmos.  I have been the Nobunaga Oda of the pack and I have been Private Pyle..

It isn't hard to deal with the clashing voices when you realize that everyone in chat just wants to help the team succeed.  The problem comes when everyone tries to lead all at once.

I actually really like doing the Vault. In fact, I love doing the Vault. It's one of my most favorite experiences in gaming given how much teamwork is required. Plus, there's an element of time travel, and I think most people on this board know how much of a nerd I am for time travel. And if you don't know, then just know that I've watched Primer more times than any normal person should.

Anyway, I feel you JT. I think Bungie missed a HUGE opportunity to do something aside from the raid. The end of the story should have been a massive, dumb, Bungie-esque set piece, ala the end of Halo 1 or 3. I was really hoping for that and thought that a 3 to 6 man fireteam finale would have been possible. Sadly, it wasn't meant to be. Instead you fight some fucking statues.

I actually really like doing the Vault. In fact, I love doing the Vault. It's one of my most favorite experiences in gaming given how much teamwork is required. Plus, there's an element of time travel, and I think most people on this board know how much of a nerd I am for time travel. And if you don't know, then just know that I've watched Primer more times than any normal person should.

I am sure I will grow to gain some sense of satisfaction with the Vault once I have the procedures down.  I can't really use the term "tactics" because that would imply that the enemy needs to be outwitted and that is not the case for the VOG. 

Everything in the Vault happens as it should and right on schedule.  It is a foe that has to be outlasted and not outfought and the solution to the problem is the same answer every time. 

The unpredictability of the Crucible is much more fun than the VoG, IMO.  The only purpose that the VoG has for me is that it is a weekly chance to get gear that will put me at Level 30 and supply the materials necessary to upgrade that gear.

That purpose is only as useful when it is measured against my desire to get to Level 30.  Once I max out my Titan's skill tree, upgrade his load-out and armor, and beat story mode with my alts, I could see myself transitioning back to GTA5 to finish story mode or even re-visiting Borderlands 2.

The ending of the "story" is the flattest fucking thing ever. If this game didn't have the multiplayer element and the story ended like that, I would have given the game a 4 or 5 out of 10.

There is a way to get your To Be Continued hint in while still providing an epic ending to your game and that wasn't it.

That was far from it. That was basically Bungie saying, "Look, we had to pivot in late development and the game needed an ending, so here' something that's as easy, dull, and boring as anything else...oh, and here's a cinematic too just so you have that end game feel."

.Realistically, i am not a multiplayer guy and playing GTA was an outlier. :)

Deathmatch play is not everybody's thing.   I think you would dig it more if you could resist the urge to tweet and shoot. ;)

That was far from it. That was basically Bungie saying, "Look, we had to pivot in late development and the game needed an ending, so here' something that's as easy, dull, and boring as anything else...oh, and here's a cinematic too just so you have that end game feel."

Yeah, it did not help that their To Be Continued ending was rushed. 

I don't know why I deserved such a celebration when I got back to the Tower. All I did was kill three fucking animated statues. 

It wasn't like Mass Effect where I had to fight my way through an army to stop a madman from committing galactic genocide. 

The Vex are Omega level threat material and I really like them as BBEG's.  I didn't get the epic war ending I deserved and neither did they.

Hopefully the Hive will get better treatment in the DLC.   They have a cool sci-fi survival horror so The Dark Within had better be as close to a Doom 3 / Dead Space nightmare fuel as a Rated T game can get.

Deathmatch play is not everybody's thing. I think you would dig it more if you could resist the urge to tweet and shoot. ;)

Havent done so since i was yelled at. But i dont think ive played with you and phil both since then.

Deathmatch play is not everybody's thing. I think you would dig it more if you could resist the urge to tweet and shoot. ;)

Havent done so since i was yelled at. But i dont think ive played with you and phil both since then.

We have all been on weird schedules lately.  I think I may be back on 4-Midnight again soon.

I have to win a Iron Banner match today with my Titan.

I also need to grind the Vanguard bounties with my Titan and Warlock.

And that is addition to presumably dying a lot in the Nightfall with JT

I have to win a Iron Banner match today with my Titan.

I also need to grind the Vanguard bounties with my Titan and Warlock.

And that is addition to presumably dying a lot in the Nightfall with JT

Don't think of it as dying. 

Think of it as more opportunities for me to score Fusion Rifle kills!

I may drag my Titan into the Crucible with Blue gear, but I'd prefer to send him in with all Purple armor.

I'm going to grind the shit out of iron banner to get to level 4 and get the gauntlets so I can hit 30. My buddy got the helmet on hard mode last night and can hit 30 once he levels it up and I can't have that shit with me at 29.

As far as the raid, I've played it about 7 times on normal and 3 or 4 on hard and it's just as fun every time I play it. I feel like it's the best experience in the game by far for me. Love it. Can't wait for the next raid on the moon. It just sucks that loot is random. I've gotten boots twice and the chest piece once and that's it for raid gear.

Honestly - the "hardest" part for me was the fucking platforming.

My first death was because I bounced off a wall and dropped into a cliff.

Of course - it did help when I changed the type of jump I was using.

I have no idea what happens in the maze since the leaders sent us back into orbit as they did it. So if I ever have to do that section - I am boned.

I had no problems with most the platform jumping.  I think I died once because my weapon hit the side of the drop and threw me off a hair.

Once we developed a hierarchy (who calls the shots, who carries the relic, etc), things stared to calm down and I started to have fun because process refinement always feels like positive progress.  I know when to take direction, so long as it is only coming from one guy. 

Good thing that there were shaders and an achievement on the line, because I was close to taking it to orbit when one guy started losing his shit during the Atheon Time Stream thingie.  I know how to fire my gun; all I need is to know what to shoot at and when and I don't need those orders seasoned with hysterics.

I can deal with "Go over there and draw a line in the sand.  Shoot anything with a red light on its head," but I can't deal with "OMFG, ORACLES~! U R NOT DOIN IT RITE~!"  Everyone fucks something up on their first raid and I am no exception.

And yeah, the problem with trying to speed run stuff like that is you miss out on some key elements.  I am sorta okay on the what to do and when parts of the Templar section and the showdown with Atheon, but I have no clue how to navigate that fucking Gorgon Labrynth.

I'd like to know the route for my own edification and there is no way I'd get to right seat ride if we're always working under a time crunch.  Sadly, I only have that sort of time on the weekends and I like to spend my weekends doing stuff with my kid and my kinda almost ex but not quite yet hangin' in there girlfriend.

I'd need to hit that VOG with a patient crew who didn't mind burning off a couple of hours and dying a lot so that we could get our own bearings and learn the procedure for ourselves..  I have no idea when that will happen or who that crew will consist of.   Hopefully all clan members so we can get another achievement.

• Like 1

Thank God for not dying during a strike being one of the bounties today so I could finally get that achievement with a couple of level 29's slumming it in the Devil's Lair this morning.  Basically all I had to do was stand back and occasionally take an enemy down if they got too close to me.