DVDVR Message Board

Colt Cabana's Art of Wrestling Podcast

Web Conn

Am I the only one who thinks that sponsored tights is the stupidest thing that they've ever heard? Punk should feel like a fucking moron for ever asking for it.

I don't agree. I've thought that shoulda happened a long time ago actually. All legit sports do it, the public is used to it.

Am I the only one who thinks that sponsored tights is the stupidest thing that they've ever heard? Punk should feel like a fucking moron for ever asking for it.

I don't agree. I've thought that shoulda happened a long time ago actually. All legit sports do it, the public is used to it.

Isn't NASCAR the only American sport that lets its athletes wear sponsors on their actual attire? 

I really don't understand how being fired from a job that you'd essentially quit a few months earlier would be insulting.

I'm not taking WWE's side, but it makes no sense.

I think it had more to do with the fact that on a day that should have been the greatest of Punk's life, WWE decided to do a dick move just to do it.

And if he was as over it he should've just laughed and continued on about the greatest day in his life.

Which he says he more or less did, but it grates him. And if you want to think that's irrational of him somehow, whatevs - but WWE are still cunts for doing it.

• Like 1

It always seemed like Batista/Orton was the plan but it is weird how Bryan was closing out RAWs all year and all those lengthy matches and segments devoted to the man.. I don't know. It seems like an awful lot of time to spend on a guy who was supposedly going to face Sheamus in a nothing program.

I still feel like Bryan was being groomed to be involved in something bigger than that. I guess we'll never know the entire story.

Why WWE doesn't want to do it was alluded to by Punk, that might piss off competing sponsors, but I think the real reason is that it would give more power to the talent, ("Coca-Cola, Nike, and McDonald's all want their logos on my gear? Sounds like I need to be making more...")

• Like 1

I was also a bit shocked at the claim that WWE lets guys work off their strikes or whatever Punk claimed. You'd think that'd be a major PR blow for them if that got out into the mainstream.

If that means working off a recent strike without suspension, that pretty much undermines a program. If it means that 3 strikes won't include a strike from like 5 years ago, well. That'd be a bit different.

There have been more bullshit drug testing programs in wrestling than legit ones.

WWE were pretty clear about this. People with two strikes can work a program which, after a good length of time, cancels a strike. HHH not taking piss tests yet releasing workout programmes is a bigger thing if anything.

I really don't understand how being fired from a job that you'd essentially quit a few months earlier would be insulting.

I'm not taking WWE's side, but it makes no sense.

I think it had more to do with the fact that on a day that should have been the greatest of Punk's life, WWE decided to do a dick move just to do it.
And if he was as over it he should've just laughed and continued on about the greatest day in his life.

Sounded like that's exactly what he did. But it also sounded like the final nail in the "I'm never coming back" coffin. Which I don't blame him for.

The strangest thing to me, and he could be changing his story to sound my sympathetic, but it sounded like he was open to coming back under the Brock/Taker/Rock schedule until that.

I was also a bit shocked at the claim that WWE lets guys work off their strikes or whatever Punk claimed. You'd think that'd be a major PR blow for them if that got out into the mainstream.

If that means working off a recent strike without suspension, that pretty much undermines a program. If it means that 3 strikes won't include a strike from like 5 years ago, well. That'd be a bit different.

There have been more bullshit drug testing programs in wrestling than legit ones.

WWE were pretty clear about this. People with two strikes can work a program which, after a good length of time, cancels a strike. HHH not taking piss tests yet releasing workout programmes is a bigger thing if anything.

yeah, they could just say that 3 strikes within (x) period means termination. But that'd be a pretty huge loophole too.

Isn't NASCAR the only American sport that lets its athletes wear sponsors on their actual attire?

Well, assuming you dont count the logos of Nike or Armour or Adidas, you have golfers and tennis players wearing sponsored apparel. And all the minor league teams.

The shock of this thing is not that WWE is a terrible employer and wrestlers need to unionize, nor that Punk is a petulant dude with significant paranoia and a lot of bad ideas that he thinks are better than they are, but that Punk said a lot of this shit out loud. That MRSA story is absolutely scandalous, and this is a top-level dude talking about this happening to him.

• Like 1

The shock of this thing is not that WWE is a terrible employer and wrestlers need to unionize, nor that Punk is a petulant dude with significant paranoia and a lot of bad ideas that he thinks are better than they are, but that Punk said a lot of this shit out loud. That MRSA story is absolutely scandalous, and this is a top-level dude talking about this happening to him.

Agreed; this is a very serious accusation being made by CM Punk here. The stuff about the concussion tests is also significantly ungood.

Not since 2006. Depending on genetics, it is sometimes possible to retain gains made whilst on steroids and he definitely got more ripped up when he became Ryback, having been injured for a good while.

The word on the street is that the list of substances being tested for is far from exhaustive. HGH is, as I understand it, banned but not tested for as it requires blood.

The hardest thing for me to take-in is Punk claiming that he isn't coming back. Perhaps I am jaded, but this is a business where everyone is a mark and loves to throw around the 'Never-Say-Never' tagline and cut long promos crying only to return 6 months later. How many 'final' matches did Funk, Foley, Flair, and others have? How many times have ECW had 'just one more show' post 2001? Punk is still upset and its understandable. The guy is still burnt out of the business and that's fine. But this "I am never coming back!" stuff is just too dramatic and not true.

Sure, sure. According to http://www.wrestlinginc.com/wi/news/2014/1002/582609/update-on-drug-usage-in-wwe-wrestlers-reportedly-cheating/, Meltzer stated last month that he theorised that the lack of wellness violations was down to use of HGH in combination with low and carefully timed doses of testosterone (presumably once you get tested, you know you're good for a couple of months and you can go a bit harder).

On another note, how will Vince and Austin deal with this on the podcast, due to go LIVE directly after RAW next week? Any mention of that seems to have dropped off wwe.com funnily enough (edit: I can find the video, but it's definitely off the frontpage).

I hope the sponsorship on his pants would've been Bridge 9 records advertising the new H20 album or some other stuff he is loyal to.

• Like 2

The tricky part is that the person who people said never (bruno, savage) was brought back not by Vince but Triple H. Punk has basically burned the bridge with the future of the company. So if punk is the new Bruno and HHH is the new Vince then who is going to be the HHH

Not sure why anyone would be excited for the Austin interview. Its going to be a powerpuff interview. Austin isn't going to ask any real questions and Vince isn't going to give any real answers.

You're probably right, but at the same time if it is not mentioned than both Austin and Vince come across as pussies and that doesn't help them. I expect a postponement.

Same thing happened to Bob Holly and his arm was nearly amputated. He said he was very close to suing WWE over it.

Not sure why anyone would be excited for the Austin interview. Its going to be a powerpuff interview. Austin isn't going to ask any real questions and Vince isn't going to give any real answers.

You know Vince will want to give his warped view on the whole situation and blame everything on Punk.

The tricky part is that the person who people said never (bruno, savage) was brought back not by Vince but Triple H. Punk has basically burned the bridge with the future of the company. So if punk is the new Bruno and HHH is the new Vince then who is going to be the HHH

Punk fucks one of Triple H's daughters in 20 years and then makes a comeback. 

• Like 1