DVDVR Message Board

Colt Cabana's Art of Wrestling Podcast

Web Conn

Wasn't there a ppv commercial where Punk was in the Shield gear? Was this before their debut?

It was for the WWE video game from the year Punk was on the cover. Main theme was actually kinda good, a Pennywise tune called "Revolution".

If the timeframe lines up, I'd be surprised.

While most of what Punk says I can believe especially the Vince stuff, he really does come off like a poker player who doesn't mind losing 4 buy ins because he is positive it will be worth at the end of night because he has the right strategy. I mean if Vince tells you "I owe you big time" he fucks you over and still keep fighting the fight then maybe you aren't as smart as you think

I did love Ryback admitting that he was "dumb as fuck" and not trying to hurt him

Vince's thoughts on UFC sums up why the WWE is where it is at and will continue to be while he's in charge.

I loved this appearance and am appreciative he put out his thoughts even though he owed nobody an explanation. That he did it for free and did his bud a solid in the process is even better.

• Like 2

A lot of Punk's complaints revolve around the fact that the person responsible for making the ultimate creative choices -- Vince McMahon -- didn't go with what he wanted a lot of times. That happens in pretty much every creative platform (and job). I'm still smarting 10 years later over an editor killing an awesome story I wrote. To me, that stuff's a gigantic whatever. No matter what, this is Vince's carnival and he makes decisions on what he thinks best.

I also think the "You called me a quitter in my hometown" stuff is pretty eye rolling. Heels were getting heat since.

But the health risks are a major friggin' issue. Like a totally disgusting one. Like a "it's hard to keep watching this garbage" issue.

• Like 3

One thought I had about Vince "owing him one" was that it sounded like Punk never really tried to cash that chip in, possibly because he was fixated on getting in a Mania main event, so that was all he wanted, and it wasn't on the table.

Well I thought each time Vince asked him to do something he didn't want to do was an attempted cash-in of the previous owing.

Jericho also got it pretty rough towards the end. Maybe rightfully so, I don't know what their relationship was like.

Well Jericho told a story on a podcast from June about watching the USA/Canada hockey match in 2010 with Edge before a house show tag match with Punk, and Punk not tagging Jericho in because he thought Jericho was being unprofessional. So if he really dislikes Jericho, if goes back for awhile

Jericho also got it pretty rough towards the end. Maybe rightfully so, I don't know what their relationship was like.

Well Jericho told a story on a podcast from June about watching the USA/Canada hockey match in 2010 with Edge before a house show tag match with Punk, and Punk not tagging Jericho in because he thought Jericho was being unprofessional. So if he really dislikes Jericho, if goes back for awhile

He talked about that in his book too. He said that if Punk had a problem with him, then they should've hashed it out backstage instead of screwing the fans. I'm a big Punk guy but I side with Jericho on this one. You don't fuck over the fans. Talk it out later.

• Like 1

Here's the Jericho/Punk story

Jericho then recalls an incident where he and Punk teamed against Edge and John Morrison, while Team Canada battled Team USA in the gold medal hockey game of the 2010 Winter Olympics. All wrestlers involved had agreed to call the match in the ring.

The former WWE and WCW megastar said he and Edge were watching the game backstage, and Canada had scored the overtime goal moments before Y2J walked to the ring. Jericho was thrilled as he made his entrance. Punk started the match, and Jericho realized he was not getting tagged in. He said it took him five minutes to come to terms that he wasn't going to get in the ring. Jericho then said Punk worked the whole match by himself, as Jericho stood on the apron. The host also mentions getting struck with a can of Coke to the back of his head by a fan after the match, which made him even more upset.

Jericho summoned all four wrestlers in the trainer's room afterwards, and asked Punk what his problem was. Punk said they were unprofessional because they watched the hockey game. Jericho said there may have been people who paid to see him on that day, and robbed them of the opportunity.

Edge chimed in to say between him and Jericho, they had been in the business for 40 years. He understood where Punk was coming from, yet he mentions that in a few years, Punk would understand where he would be in his career. Edge then mentioned an instance where Punk was tweeting about the NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs during a pay-per-view.

Jericho said although he was upset, he respected and admired Punk's stance because it showed he stood up for himself and showed his true colors.

• Like 1

Punk's idea was to have Hero be the third man in The Shield so clearly Triple H is the best person to be managing the talent. Roman Reigns is far superior to most of Punk's buddies. Holy shit, Hero in The Shield would have been fucking awful.

WWE did come off pretty badly with all the injury stuff. I mean, we knew that already.. but that was a scary story.

Two things that didn't make sense. Punk says "I didn't quit, I was fired." Okay, wasn't he fired because he stopped showing up to work? Isn't that quitting? Whatever.

Also, Punk says the name "WrestleMania" sells the show. That's a load of shit. It does sell the show to an extent but The Rock clearly popped the buys in back to back years. It's not even arguable. Plus, Punk was caught in his own bullshit because he goes on to say that himself being in the main event would have been this huge gain for the business. This is after him saying it doesn't matter who is in the main event. So which is it?

Props to the guy for telling his story, though. He didn't have to tell anyone anything. Personally, I'm happy he's gone and he sounds like he's pretty happy..bitter..but still happy so good for him.

Yeah, but Punk doesn't come across as the most professional guy in the world.....

He doesn't come across as the most civil guy in the world. Not gonna associate being professional with always being nice to everybody and doing what you're told. He could be professional in the ring but still be an angry asshole behind the scenes.

As for the WM brand selling more than individual guys? Well, all the tickets at the stadium sell out far before the main event but the buys come as a result of the actual event.

Hey guys, if you're still having trouble downloading, the episode is on YouTube as well.

Kind of cool if so many folks are downloading that it's breaking the internet

Good for Colt and good on Punk for giving his best friend's pod a boost by telling his story there.

• Like 1