DVDVR Message Board

NJPW 52nd Anniversary Show/New Japan Cup/Sakura Genesis 2024.

The Natural

Well, here's some good news...Yota Tsuji vs. Jeff Cobb was a fabulous match!  Best match of the tournament so far.  More thoughts below:

Spoiler

Jeff Cobb should be going much further in tournaments in general , but if he's going to lose to someone at this stage, Tsuji is a perfect choice.  This match felt epic and special.  Despite not being at a major venue, I still felt similar vibes to Shingo vs. Cobb at the Dome in 2021, as Cobb is this incredible force of nature and by somehow defeating him, Shingo finally felt made to me.  That's a gift that Cobb has and it makes him a special performer that I truly appreciate.  Yota earned every bit of his victory.  Undeniably a star.  

Tsuji vs. ELP in the second round sounds splendid to me.  ELP-Nicholls from tonight was pretty fun as well; well-worked and easy to watch, if you're so inclined.   

• Like 1

Seconded. Seems like Cobb has been working semi-hurt for ages so good to see him work a proper main event singles match. Uemura / Shingo was a good match too but Uemura is exciting because of his potential and the crowd here were excited for what Tsuji is now. Great noise for the size of the crowd. No way someone would group him with Umino and Narita if they started watching the product today.

Side note: Starting to really appreciate how much a protruding belly helps a splash. The bigger the bulge the less Jeff's standing moonsault looks like a cute flex.

Spoiler

I'm not buying into the common Western take that NJPW need to start giving all the big wins to younger guys then voila lots of new stars, but if you wanted to have an inter-faction title defense between Naito and and Tsuji then this NJC is the way to do it.

11 March spoiler

Spoiler

Unfortunately it seems even Yano cannot prevent the rise of Scapegoat

Perry vs Sanada 2 - Electric Boogaloo coming soon (Yoshi-Hashi v Sanada was pretty good, actually)

Tomorrow is Tanga vs Finlay and Goto vs Chase at the top of the card. As nature intended.

• Sad 2

That the final four of one side of the tournament could have been Yano, YOSHI-HASHI, Tanga and Chase is brilliant. I would have booked it just to melt everyone's minds. They can still make half of it happen. Do it New Japan!

Most of wrestling fandom: New Japan needs to get going with moving their younger talent up the ranks!

Narita beats ZSJ via HOT chicanery in the NJ Cup.

Everyone: NOT LIKE THAT!

Still, it does set up Ren and Yota. And really, Zack has won the cup twice and had nothing to show for it. Another deep G-1 run or god forbid, winning the G-1 (or the title, even) is probably better for him.

The only person who has been able to thwart HOT completely by himself was Okada during the last G-1 semifinals. It will be telling if either Takagi or Yota can overcome the shenanigans on their own.

• Like 1

Yeah I think everyone had that nanosecond 'hey!' reaction seeing that result before coming to terms that becoming Goto 2.0 probably isn't a priority for Zack at the moment if we assume that Naito isn't dropping anytime soon.

My sub isn't active at the moment but I'm hopeful for the new and improved HOT Narita I keep hearing about considering I never rated any of his Shibata Jr stuff.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Salads said:

Yeah I think everyone had that nanosecond 'hey!' reaction seeing that result before coming to terms that becoming Goto 2.0 probably isn't a priority for Zack at the moment if we assume that Naito isn't dropping anytime soon.

My sub isn't active at the moment but I'm hopeful for the new and improved HOT Narita I keep hearing about considering I never rated any of his Shibata Jr stuff.

That's why I'm glad Zack Sabre Jr won't be winning the New Japan Cup 2024 because Tetsuya Naito isn't losing the IWGP World Heavyweight Championship any time soon. I don't think he will until Wrestle Kingdom next year. Hope ZSJ is the next champion.

Other than EVIL and SANADA, aside from having lower case letters in their names everyone else would represent a relatively fresh match-up for Naito. He and Goto have gone at it in the G-1 and tags mainly. He and Takagi had one G-1 match four years ago and that's it. He sent Tsuji away overseas but that was also a while ago. He's never had a singles with Finlay or Narita. I don't think he's ever had a match with Jungle Jack.

Edited by lostinube

9 hours ago, The Natural said:

That's why I'm glad Zack Sabre Jr won't be winning the New Japan Cup 2024 because Tetsuya Naito isn't losing the IWGP World Heavyweight Championship any time soon. I don't think he will until Wrestle Kingdom next year. Hope ZSJ is the next champion.

I really hope you're wrong about Naito. I'm so bored by him, I can feel myself turning into a David Finlay cheerleader if that's the only shot at getting the title off him in the next 10 months.

• Like 1

I find it hard to believe that Naito both has the belt and hasn't disintegrated yet, but then I remember this is New Japan and with Okada gone, as long as he can move in a physical approximation of pro wrestling without his neck crumbling into dust he will probably have the title. If you are fed up with him you better pray for an injury. 

• Sad 1

Yota and EVIL in the other semi. We are still on track for the worst possible final of SANADA/EVIL where EVIL would have to win because even NJPW has to realize that they can't do SANADA/Naito again. Or maybe not.

On the other hand, relative to most HOT matches, Shingo made it work.

Posted (edited)
On 3/16/2024 at 12:15 PM, SturmCRF said:

I really hope you're wrong about Naito. I'm so bored by him, I can feel myself turning into a David Finlay cheerleader if that's the only shot at getting the title off him in the next 10 months.

We'll soon see, mate. If it's any consolation I think this will be Tetsuya Naito's last big reign on top of NJPW with his age and injuries.

Edited by The Natural

Finals are set as Tsuji and LIJ finally got the best of EVIL and Goto beat SANADA. Tsuji and Goto have never met one on one and even then Tsuji only has one win out of a number of tags (mainly six-mans).

Since the beginning Naito has been waiting for either Tsuji or Takagi to get through to face him at Sakura Genesis. On the other hand, Goto is Mr. New Japan Cup, having been in the finals six (now seven) times and winning three..but his last visit was eight years ago. And also the announcers played up his father passing away earlier in the year a bit.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, lostinube said:

Finals are set as Tsuji and LIJ finally got the best of EVIL and Goto beat SANADA. Tsuji and Goto have never met one on one and even then Tsuji only has one win out of a number of tags (mainly six-mans).

Since the beginning Naito has been waiting for either Tsuji or Takagi to get through to face him at Sakura Genesis. On the other hand, Goto is Mr. New Japan Cup, having been in the finals six (now seven) times and winning three..but his last visit was eight years ago. And also the announcers played up his father passing away earlier in the year a bit.

I'd say Hirooki Goto was the Lex Luger of NJPW but Lex Luger eventually won the WCW World Heavyweight Championship twice. Sucks Goto never held the IWGP Heavyweight Championship when it was active and not the fucking awful IWGP World Heavyweight Championship.

For better or worse, SANADA was on the road to being Goto'd until he got a haircut and left LIJ. And he got to win the title over Okada which now in retrospect was the beginning of the end of the Okada era. If Goto goes through Tsuji and Naito though, they may as well just give him a chyron that says "Transitional Champion." Or "Lifetime Achievement Award Before Moving on to Limit Break."

I wouldn't be against a Hirooki Goto IWGP World Heavyweight Championship reign even though it should have happened years earlier with the IWGP Heavyweight Championship. Minoru Suzuki should have won the IWGP Heavyweight Championship as well. Zack Sabre Jr also.

Though I haven't followed closely in awhile, even though the TV is on every Thursday, I always liked Goto and thought he was cooler than everybody else thought he was. To me he was kind of a perfect MOVEZ Japanese wrestler (because he had ten thousand variations), his gimmick looked very Japanese, he always lost and I love underdogs, etc. It never felt fair to me that he didn't at least get a transitional win. He has been gatekeeper for sooooooo looooooong that he made a career out of it! Throw the man a bone.